iPad Has the Oleophobic Coating gone on my iPad? With Pictures

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThatiPhoneKid, Apr 23, 2019.

1. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

I have an old iPad and lately I have become obsessed with oleophobic coatings and constantly worrying if my devices, especially my iPhones have their oleophobic coatings still intact, so today I done an experiment I read about online that if you put water droplets on the screen and they stay in a sphere/dome shape then it means the oleophobic coating is still on the device?

I done the experiment on an old iPad of mine and as I used this iPad for well over a year I would have figured the oleophobic coating would have been diminished so I dripped some water on to the display and the water appears to have stayed in a sphere/dome shape so does this mean the oleophobic coating is still intact? if so I think Apple have done a great job with the coating for it to last well over a year.

Here are some pictures of the experiment, does it look as though the oleophobic coating has worn away or is it still intact on the iPad?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

I never heard of this water droplet experiment so I don’t know if it’s really scientific.
    What I would worry about is whether the coating is uneven. It likely wouldn’t wear down that much to even be noticeable but with regular usage the middle part of the screen is usually where the first scratches make their entrance.

3. Krayzkat Suspended

Just relax, take it easy. Your iPad is perfectly fine. Stop over-worrying about things

4. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi, thanks for your reply, not worried about this iPad as it’s an old one of mine just wanted to see if after a year’s usage the oleophobic coating was still intact.

5. AutomaticApple macrumors 65816

AutomaticApple

It’s totally fine.

6. merrygoround macrumors newbie

maybe get a clear screen protector ? even if its the old school soft ones? seems like my ipad mini 5 never had coating in the first place :(

7. PavelGubarev macrumors newbie

PavelGubarev

Oleophobic means it’s rejecting oil. So it would make sense to experiment with oil/grease. What’s rejecting water is hydrophobic. And in most cases these things are the opposite of each other.

8. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would olive oil work?

9. PavelGubarev macrumors newbie

PavelGubarev

Xanax works for worrying too much.
    Getting job works for having too much leisure time.
    Olive oil works for making your bruschetta delicious.

10. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

LOL

11. Seanm87 macrumors 6502

12. sparksd macrumors 68020

Whatever you clean that olive oil off with will probably take care of any remaining oleophobic coating.

13. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I used water droplets on the screen to see if they stayed a dome shape

14. Krayzkat Suspended

You should throw your iPad in the sea to check it is waterproof too :p

15. tps3443 macrumors 6502a

tps3443

I’m using a glass screen protector that has a oleophobic coating on it. So, I’ve never touched this iPads screen, so I’m 100% sure it is intact. As soon as I pulled the apple plastic off, glass was going on.

The screen protector does just as well at hiding fingerprints.

16. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, I have new iPads so never use this one now so don’t really bother me if this iPad gets damaged.

17. muzzy996 macrumors 6502

Did the same with my Gen 2 12.9 IPP. Now that I'm having touch screen response issues I'm contemplating taking off the screen protector but I'd hate to waste a perfectly good protector on the off chance that it solves my problem (which didn't exist for months after applying it at first).

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

which means the best test might be if you can wipe off finger prints with a dry soft cloth which should be all that's needed as inferred by Apple's own cleaning instructions https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

19. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Your photos look pretty good on my iPad mini 5.
    Did you use an iPhone or an iPad to photo your iPad?

If not what did you thank your photos with?

20. ThatiPhoneKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I took the pictures with an iPhone :)

21. shenfrey macrumors 68000

It will be gone eventually and who cares if it does. Just wipe your screen every now and then and you’ll be fine. Enjoy your device and stop fretting over the little things.

22. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

That assumes that the adhesive used by the glass screen protector won't damage the coating after years of being in contact with the coating.