Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Got a link to that article? Thanks!

My married kids in Florida use NFC all the time. Gas, fast food, Home Depot, pharmacy, etc. They love it.

I will admit, my knowledge of the near field comm is limited. But I'm still trying to see any benefits from it.
I compare it to a woman or a man using a credit card.
CC: Woman has to get into her purse, pull out her CC, swipe it, punch in pin/sign name, put back into purse.
NFC: Woman has to get into her purse, pull out her phone, swipe it close to receiver, punch in a pin/sign name, put back into purse.

Security seems worse from what I've read here and there as with a CC they mostly need physical access to swipe the strip. But with a phone merely getting close can do the same thing.

Again, my knowledge is limited extremely. I admit this. But until I stop hearing about near field comm thefts in asia, I don't think its something I'm willing to just blindly trust yet.

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
I will admit, my knowledge of the near field comm is limited. But I'm still trying to see any benefits from it.
I compare it to a woman or a man using a credit card.
CC: Woman has to get into her purse, pull out her CC, swipe it, punch in pin/sign name, put back into purse.
NFC: Woman has to get into her purse, pull out her phone, swipe it close to receiver, punch in a pin/sign name, put back into purse.

Security seems worse from what I've read here and there as with a CC they mostly need physical access to swipe the strip. But with a phone merely getting close can do the same thing.

Again, my knowledge is limited extremely. I admit this. But until I stop hearing about near field comm thefts in asia, I don't think its something I'm willing to just blindly trust yet.

With my NFC card, I sometimes do not have to enter a pin/sign my name depending on the retailer.

For example, McDonald's makes it super convenient. Cashier tells me the total, I use NFC card, the receipt prints within 5 seconds and I am on my way. Nothing to sign or pin to input.

kdarling

macrumors P6

It's a convenient option for some, just like plastic credit/debit cards are. Nobody is forced to use it.

We can come up with negatives for every choice. For example, one could make the argument that plastic is worse than paper money because we are tracked and usually have to sign for a purchase. Sounds terrible! Who in their right mind would ever use a credit card? :)

In my daughter's case, she has a small child. She always has him in one arm, and her phone and keys in the other. So it's much much easier for her to tap her phone to just pay and go. Not to mention she's far less likely to accidentally leave her phone behind because it's in her hand; something she's done with credit cards in a rush.

For less than $20 or so, many places don't require the PIN. That's no different than credit cards not requiring a signature under the same circumstances.

Merely getting close can do what same thing? There has to be a coded transaction between the phone and the payment pod. Even if someone figured out a way to spoof that, without you noticing them holding somethnig against your phone and a transaction taking place, they'd be very limited in the amount they could steal because of the PIN requirement.

--

If you lose a credit card, someone can charge hundreds of dollars on it, easily. If you lose your phone, they can only do small amounts without your PIN.

Heck, if someone has your credit card for a second, they can swipe and make a copy of it, or even just write down the numbers and use it online later on. They cannot steal such useful info from your phone.

NFC is very secure compared to a credit card which has your info (account number and name) written in plain sight.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
With my NFC card, I sometimes do not have to enter a pin/sign my name depending on the retailer.

For example, McDonald's makes it super convenient. Cashier tells me the total, I use NFC card, the receipt prints within 5 seconds and I am on my way. Nothing to sign or pin to input.

Speed actually i've noticed depends on the internet connection used for card processing. I've had to wait forever before for my card to process while the cash customers just kept going and going and going.

brinycbri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
would NFC be built with another hardware component or would it be built into the chip? If the former, then definitely no evidence of it.

NM08SRT8

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Earf
Which means that it likely has nothing to do with NFC.
And it's likely not just aesthetics either.
It's just a clean and simple way to achieve an essentially metal unibody phone without hindering radio/signal transmission.
Yes, they could have tried color matching the plastic and the metal but it would never be a true match and people would still be complaining.

Look at how long it took them to match the home button to the white iPhone... I think I'll be just fine with a two tone like how they have it.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
NFC will not have any externally visible support, only a chip - and it could easily be integrated into a custom chip...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Only reason why I think that Iphone5 will contain an NFC chip is the fact that Passport App has already been announced. Now, while it may not be fully functional at launch. Shortly after it will
What substantiates this even more is that theres so many Payment systems out there that the timing is right. Also Authentec was huridly bought out. Could it be that Apple is going to use their fingerprint sensor as an added layer of protection for their NFC?????

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Speed actually i've noticed depends on the internet connection used for card processing. I've had to wait forever before for my card to process while the cash customers just kept going and going and going.

True, but using NFC for payment is much faster than swiping cards. Unless you have to sign/PIN, in which case there is no difference.

Cash will still be the fastest way to pay for anything, until cards can be processed at a faster rate.

At my work, we process cards via phone line and it can take up to 15 seconds to process!

As we like to say: cash is king.

swy05

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2008
Yea for Android phones...

Google seems to be trying to solve this issue by creating a committee of the top credit card companies and services to try to get a standard.

Funny thing is that Square and Apple chose not to join.

But I agree, I just don't see NFC being matured enough yet, I was reading an article on Times about NFC and half of the time it doesn't even work, employees don't know how it works, the machines somtimes work work, customers don't even know about it, hackers can steal info, its only used in a few countries and thats not even in most major cities, etc.

Overall, I think its wise for Apple to get its head into pre NFC with Passbook.

Absolutely incorrect.

Its used all over Asia. Here in Korea its used everywhere. Even in the most rural countryside. All public transportation systems utilize NFC. Better than the archaic money or bus/train pass system America's still using.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I have a Galaxy S3...

I have used Google Wallet at:

McDonald's
Jack in the Box
Circle K
Walgreens

You must open the Wallet app and enter your pin. Then the NFC is ready a Wallet purchase.

I alway keep a shortcut to Wallet on my home and lock screen.

It is painless, easy and cool... but I admit it is not really faster than reaching for my debit card.

I am on a 30 day trial still. I still have time to see what Apple brings to the table and decide if I am keeping this or getting another iPhone.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
I would think that with all the hardware that has been leaked, one could see or hypothesize that the new iphone would have NFC. But NFC has been a pure rumor. Or am I wrong? Thanks
Yes, just like that LTE is a pure rumour.

----------

Absolutely incorrect.

Its used all over Asia. Here in Korea its used everywhere. Even in the most rural countryside. All public transportation systems utilize NFC. Better than the archaic money or bus/train pass system America's still using.

Yeah, Asia (and than preferably Japan, Hong Kong, Korea) are usually 'ahead' with these sorts of things. I live in Western-Europe and the onliest thing I can think of where NFC is used on a big scale is in the public transport system. Currently, you just get a cardholder and inside of it there's a NFC chip - but I think it would be awesome if you could just replace this card with your mobile phone.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Sorry to wrap this up, but this is the current status:

The things that hint at NFC:
Passbook
Two-tone finish

All other things are just over analyzed speculation.

Things that are against it:
No major 3rd party investor hinting at it, or slipping a word
blurry pics of the mobo has been shown, with no major hint at it

Neither of those two are evidence against NFC.

It might get NFC (we all hope so) and there is a big possibility (relative), but it will probably not have NFC.

Let me repeat the most important thing again All other things are just over analyzed speculation.

ledlauzis

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
localhost
Passbook would works perfectly with NFC, no more tickets, debit cards and other stuff.
The thing is that only few retailers uses this technology so it will take at least one full year to expand it to level when it makes our lives a bit more dynamic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.