Has your iPad become your... Life?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eddiexhart, Dec 13, 2010.

1. eddiexhart macrumors regular

eddiexhart

Have you found yourself now reaching for your iPad instead of your computer or iPhone? Is your current game system being replaced by the iPad? Etc and so on..

I have to ask! I got my iPad about 3 weeks ago and I seriously cannot live without it. It's become my wallets brother. I catch myself now when I leave my house grabbing my wallet, keys and my iPad... Realizing when I get to the car forgetting iPhone.. My poor brand new MacBook pro has gotten neglected! And now iPhone! All my shopping now consists of... Cases! Bags! All kinds of accessories! Anyone in love as much as I am?!

2. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Absolutely. :D

I use it when I wake up, in the car, at work, at home when I'm relaxing. With me all the time.

3. CarrieL macrumors newbie

CarrieL

It's a big part of my life...

1st thing in the morning, last thing at nite, and many moments in between.:D

4. jull macrumors member

jull

Same here!

5. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Yes the iPad has become an addiction :D

My poor MBP that sits on my desk all alone

Hoping to see iPhone apps become iPad apps though, only downside IMO

6. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

7. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I use it only once a day, during the whole day! :D

8. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

it the my go to device when iam outside the house or inside the hous playing a game or when iam traveling

9. Madgenius macrumors newbie

Yep, bought it instead of the new MBA. Use it more everyday.

10. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

Same here. It goes everywhere with me and I use it for almost everything :)

11. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

12. jdcell100 macrumors regular

13. CorruptedSanity macrumors member

Since getting my iPad in early summer, I have used my super awesome (and new too) desktop (built by me from scratch a year ago) only 10 times?
    Out of the 10 times, 3 were because the iPad was charging and 7 because I needed to access flash content.

So since june , 180 uses (1 use per day) have passed. Normally that would mean 180 PC days, because of the iPad its been reduced 95%, down to 10 days.

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I enjoy my iPad but for casual use. Until Apple stops crippling it, it will never replace my laptop or desktop. It is good for cruising the Internet but poor to get any real work done.:eek:

I know this will p|ss off some of your iPad lovers but I need more than just entertainment.:p

15. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Please describe, in detail, how you use your iPad for "almost everything":confused:

16. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I use my iPad 5-10 hours a day. I have it almost always with me and I am totally in love with it. I don't think I would ever look back at my life without it :)

17. RichardMZhlubb macrumors member

No. On a day-to-day basis, I probably use my MacBook Pro about 5 to 10 times more than my iPad.

18. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

Of course, you meant to say that it is poor for getting the work that you want to do done.

19. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

No I meant what I said. Until Apple allows the iPad to do what it could really do, it will be mostly for entertainment. I doubt that is coming as it would compete with it's laptops.

Do not bet me wrong, I love my 3G iPad but is can only do so much!

I await the RIM Playbook

20. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I have to agree with this. I love my 3G iPad too, but after the initial novelty wore off (which took a while, admittedly), I realized that for me there were just too many compromises. It was fun at first looking for apps that would help compensate for functionality that should've been built in. But, after a while, I kept asking myself why I had to even bother with the trouble. Subsequently, I picked up an iMac and a new MBA in addition to the iPhone. The iPhone has 3G and is good for when I'm out and about, so that covers all of the scenarios in which I had previously used the iPad.

The only scenarios where the iPad really excels for me are reading ebooks and watching movies on the plane. These days, though, my gf uses it mostly to play games.

21. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

The problem is that all these "the iPad is no good for work" people totally ignore those of us that regularly use our iPads for a wide range of work.

Of course it is generally better to use a laptop or desktop, but it's a trade off between use and portability etc. You may not be able to do your work on the iPad, but there are many of us who can.

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I have been at work for 4 hours now and spent two hours in AutoCad and a little over an hour in Quickbooks, getting the payroll out for my employees. I do not expect an iPad to EVER do the above but just pointing out how it will never be more than entertainment to me and many others.:apple:

23. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

So I was right, you were saying that it is poor for the work that you want to do on it.

24. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

You know how a pet or child has that toy or blanket that they won't let go and carry around with them all day? That's me with the iPad.

-easy to surf the web while on the couch (or let's face it, the bowl)
    -cheap games that are addictive
    -great to read comic books on
    -so much easier to use on a plane than a notebook and don't have to worry about the battery dying mid-flight
    -I frequently wake up in the middle of the night and I can read without waking my wife up (can't do that with a Kindle)

I got one on a whim figuring I'd use it a little bit (and if not sell it on eBay or return it) but I probably use it for 90% of my computing at home and 100% on vacation. I admit, for me at least, it's useless at work (too slow to type on and we have specialized software at work) but great for everything else.

My all-time favorite complaint about the iPad from iPad haters: "It's too heavy to use as an e-reader!" Um, but it's lighter than most hardcovers!

And my personal biggest complaint: almost useless in sunlight.

But still...an awesome product that changed the way I use computers.