Has your iPad killed your laptop use?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ACG12, Feb 16, 2016.

1. ACG12 macrumors 6502a

I was really thinking about investing into a MBP 15" until I realized how expensive they are.

After thinking about it for quite some time, I realized I rarely even use my current HP laptop because of my iPhone and mainly because of my Air 2. I no longer have to use it to pay my bills thanks to apps and I can download my iTunes music/movies Library without a laptop. If I need a larger view, I can airplay my screen to my tv.

I think what sealed the deal for me was being able to do my taxes right from my Air 2.

Does anyone else feel like they no longer need a laptop?

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes. I still have an iMac for things the iPad just won't do, but I go for days and sometimes weeks without using it. Back in November, I took in the iMac to get the hard drive replaced, then we kept putting off going to pick it up because we were busy, and it ended up staying at the store for nearly two weeks because we just couldn't be bothered to make time to pick it up. A few years ago, it would have been like, "We need to go pick it up now, because we really need it!" But now it was like, "oh, we'll go when we have time." :p

3. seadragon, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016

seadragon Contributor

Nope... I use Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop on my laptop. iPad just doesn't cut it for this. But, it's great for games, web surfing, and watching videos.

4. denisvj macrumors regular

denisvj

Mostly at night and on weekends

I remember that I used to take my mbp to bed while watching tv to surf,internet, youtube, etc , now I take my iPad who replaced my mbp in many situations , now that is loaded with books , movies, pdf, flibboard, emails etc.

I used to take my mbp with me on weekends when visiting my family and now I only carry the iPad , only when I need some serious stuff use my laptop but that usually happens on working days.

5. sparksd macrumors 68000

I used to take my laptop with me on travel but now just take the Air 2.

6. Ferc Kast macrumors regular

Ferc Kast

My answer is yes and no. Yes, it can replace my laptop in that it does what I need it to do while on the go, with amazing portability. (<1 lb compared to my current laptop which weighs about 5.4 lbs) I can use it to do a weekly bulletin, write code for my website, watch movies (I am in love with iOS 9's PiP view for iPads), etc.

No, it doesn't completely replace my laptop. I still do use my laptop (hooked up to a 27" monitor) at home for things like video games, Autodesk, better multi-windows capability for work, or just when I want to use a bigger screen. That being said, I'm more likely to replace my laptop with a desktop when it dies since I don't really use it on the go as I did before I got an iPad.

7. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Quite the opposite effect for me. Now that I have a rMBP, I found that I rarely used the iPad Air 2. I had to force myself to use it to justify owning it.

Sold it and mailed it out today. I will see what the Air 3 has to offer, but I'm doubtful it is something I should invest in.

8. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

iOS and most of the apps lack too many features to be useful in all situations. For example today I downloaded a poster in PDF format on my iPad Pro. All I wanted to know was the size of that poster. Which app can display the page size information for a PDF file? Good Reader can't do it. Acrobat can't do it. PDF Expert can't do it. And iOS is too dumb to offer any kind of information about any file.

So no, I can't give up using a real computer.

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

I have an ipad but I almost never use it. It will not replace a laptop for me. Web browsing on the ipad is frustrating for me.

10. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Yes

Just used my MacBook for the first time today and it was only because I had to use iTunes to downgrade from 9.3 beta

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Absolutely this. I am unsure what has happened over the years and it could be a situation where I am using a dated iPad (iPad mini 2), but web browsing has reached a level of frustration for me that I cannot deal with. The constant page refreshes when I am trying to do something of any importance is the main issue. Clicking (touching) on an area I want to type and the page jumping resulting in another click elsewhere, is the second most frustrating issue. Again, it could be my technology, but I'm over it. The iPad will be used on a plane, but I can see the usefulness of it dying more and more outside travel.

For travel, I prefer the iPad. I usually travel for work and I need to lug a windows laptop around, so the iPad is my "personal machine."

12. ACG12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

The lack of RAM is what is killing your web browsing experience. I have no issues with my Air 2 or my wife's mini 4. Now my 6+ is a different story....

13. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

No, iPad is only used for playing the odd game or watching videos when I'm traveling.

14. KaliPaige macrumors member

KaliPaige

It all depends on my usage. When I'm in my room, if I'm in bed or reading I will definitely reach for the iPad, but if I'm gaming or doing more intensive work I will go for the desktop. However, if I'm just sitting back on the sofa and want to do some browsing, I tend to alternate between the iPad or my laptop.

15. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Nothing to do with the RAM for me. I don't like the touch experience for web browsing and I dislike the mobile version of websites. And then it's the typing on a touch screen. All these things make for a frustrating experience for me.

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

My iPad has definitely become my go to device for casual web surfing, checking email, YouTube, social media, and some other light tasks, but most real work is still done on my laptop.

17. playaproved macrumors 6502

I picked up an iPad Pro yesterday, and while I haven't opened it yet, I've decided that it can comfortably handle anything I need to accomplish on the go. I'll be selling my 15" MBP and picking up a 4K or 5K iMac to handle the things I still need a full blown computer for.

18. ddoyle777 macrumors newbie

Yes it has. I just gave my MacBook to my wife.

19. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I still use my iMac daily for Lightroom, Parallels, etc but my MacBook Air hasn't been powered up in months. I've transitioned to the IPP for most of my lighter tasks. I also use BlueBeam Revu through Parallels/Windows 10 and the IPP comes in handy at job sites when I need to do mark ups to blue prints own site and they sync back to BlueBeam on my iMac.

20. hungrypenguin macrumors member

Yes, I sold my old MacBook because I'm getting an iPad Pro, so it will replace my laptop (and probably my mini too).
    But then again, I have to add that I have an iMac which I use for stuff iOS can't do (i.e. Matlab, Coding, light gaming)

So, yes, the iPad replaced my laptop, but my laptop was a companion device to begin with. (And no, an iPad could not replace my beloved iMac)

21. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

My first iPad (iPad 3) very slowly killed my laptop use. It started off as mainly an e-reader and over the 3 years I had it, it became my go-to device. So much so that shortly after I upgraded my 2011 MBP for a 2013 rMBP I regretted not getting an iMac instead. My laptop pretty much stays plugged in on my desk.

22. modernaccord macrumors 6502a

Yes. For 99.9% of my tasks. I still use my macbook pro to organize business invoices and what not, because keeping track of everything on the cloud is a royal PITA.

23. boogiedout macrumors member

I had a MacBook Air 2012, my first mac, which I loved. When the family pc died I bought a Mac mini as the family computer. I had an original iPad, which I never used as safari kept crashing and it just couldn't keep up. I realised that I didn't need the MacBook Air, which I still loved and have never loved a piece of tech like it, I bought an iPad Air 2 to fill the gap and gave the air to my daughter. No going back. With the mini As a desktop I don't need anything more powerful than the iPad for anything in between.

24. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I actually find myself using my MacBook Pro a lot more now. Still not as much as my iPad, but a lot more than I did when I first bought it. I actually regretted upgrading from my 2010 MacBook Pro a year and a half ago because I rarely used it.

25. Ghost31 macrumors 68000

Ghost31

Man...my iPad Air 2 from last year already killed my MacBook Pro. After having the air 2 for a few months, I noticed I never even opened my retina MacBook Pro. It just sat on a shelf with a dead battery for a long time. So I sold it

Now I have an iPad pro and don't miss having a laptop at all. I have an old MacBook hooked up to the tv for the few times I might need to write code, but it's very rarely. I use my iPad pro for everything. It's so much more convenient. Attach that smart keyboard and use it as a laptop style device for awhile (like I am as I type this right now) or rip off the keyboard and lay in bed with my pro watching movies or playing games. It's beautiful. I feel like after all these years I finally found the perfect device. Most people I've met who say they can't abandon their laptops are that way because they can't wrap their heads around touch screens and tablets in general. They're used to the old way of doing things