Has your smartphone changed how you interact?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Unhyper, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Has your smartphone changed your face-to-face interaction?

1. Yes, it has.

15 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. I don't believe it has, no.

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
  1. Unhyper macrumors regular

Unhyper

I'll admit it: I am one of those inconsiderate douchebags who have to bite their lip to resist the temptation to pull out their iPhone during your boring conversation.

I never used to be this way, although I'm an introvert by nature and am not big on social interaction anyway. Yet, slowly over time, I have found myself feeling this overpowering desire to pull out my phone when there's a lull in the conversation or the topic is simply not that interesting. It's not that I really care all that much what's happening on Twitter, Facebook, or one of the million other social media sites. My email could wait. So could the Instagram feed.

Maybe I am alone on this. But it feels as if the iPhone has changed not only how I use technology in my everyday life, but to some extent the way I approach the life outside of said technology. Like having my brain rewired, differently.

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

I saw this on the front page of youtube a while back that pretty much is like a video of your thoughts.

Kind of strange how quickly we assimilate technology into our lives to the point of ubiquity.

Makes me want to go on a weekend hiking trip to reconnect with nature and leave all my electronics behind.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Great video. Hopefully I will stop and think moving forward.

4. malman89 macrumors 68000

It really annoys me when people are glued to their phones out in public or in social settings, surrounded by friends they should be socializing with instead.

So in that regard, I try and do everything possible to avoid being glued to my phone, needlessly checking or updating things.

However, smart phones do come quite in handy when you're alone in an awkward situation. Even then, it should be used as a last resort.

5. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

You really ought to. I try to spend my weekends as technology free as possible; hiking and camping without any electronics are awesome after you've just spent 5 days working at a computer and being glued to a smartphone. I think I would grow increasingly agitated if I didn't step back once in a while.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. I don't really pull my phone out unless I need to. A lot of people, whom I'm close with, don't even know I have a smartphone (even though it is pretty much assumed these days)

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

No, I have no issue with ignoring my phone when in a face-to-face conversation. Unfortunately, I have a few friends who cannot do the same and just get easily distracted and phase into their phones to check instagram :rolleyes:

8. olup macrumors 6502

Sometimes I think we lived in a better world before smartphones.
    However it's more of the owner's problem than the phone's.
    People who are constantly on their phone checking twitter, instagram, whatever, were constantly on their phone playing snake or checking texts back then as well.

We just cover up our own insecurity by pretending to be popular/social, when we're really not.

9. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

no.

I am in no hurry to find out if someone emailed,so my iPhone has not changed how I interact.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I've been out with people and sat there thinking why are you even here? Because they spend the evening on the phone. I usually send my wife the odd text, and if I get a text I always check it. But I don't go on social networks when I'm alone, so why would I when I'm out?

11. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I do think the "always on" technology that we have today can and does negatively impact interpersonal interaction. I think when you are with a person or group of people that you need to make your interaction with them the priority over your phone. Sure getting a phone call or text is going to happen and it's okay to excuse yourself to take care of something, but to continuously be focused on or distracted by your electronics is disrespectful and communicates to that person or persons that their time or presence is not important to you. I know a lot of people defend themselves by saying that they are just multitasking, but i disagree.

12. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Sadly, I have to admit that it has changed the way I interact to an extent. I wouldn't say that I'm "glued to my phone" when I'm out with friends at a bar or whatever, but I do find myself doing a quick 10-20 second "check" of my phone and Facebook every 5-10-20 minutes (it depends on what is going on around me, how much the group is actually socializing, etc.). If the group is actively engaged and talking and the good times are flowing, I forget about the phone. But if it's a little dead, no one is really talking, people are off to the bathroom or staring up at the TV, I'm more prone to check my phone.

It is even more detrimental when I go to concerts, sporting events, etc. I find myself snapping a few pictures and texting people while I should really just be fully engaged in the show. For some reason staying connected and "sharing" (tastefully...not uploading 1,000 pictures) while you're at major events feels "fun" in a way. I feel like it adds to making permanent memories by being able to sort of "archive" the event, but it takes away from the immediate and FULL experience as well.

I love my iPhone and I definitely think it does more good than harm in the grand scheme of things...but there are times where I wish smartphones didn't exist and we weren't all so connected and accessible ALL the time. I think it would be liberating to go back to the days of just having a basic "dumbphone" and that's it. While you can still get distracting texting on a dumbphone, it isn't NEARLY as distracting as a smartphone.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Personally, as someone who is typically alone in public, it certainly cuts down on the awkwardness I would feel if I were sitting in a restaurant eating alone. That and sports on TV. When I am with people I try very hard not to use my phone unless I have to snap a picture.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Yes, I can't seem to poo when I don't have my phone with me. :D

15. muon25 macrumors member

muon25

I just read what you wrote while doing just that.

16. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Of course it has, it has for everyone - anyone who says no is choosing to say no for whatever reason. Even if it hasn't for you, it has for a majority of the people you interact with, thereby affecting how you interact.

I like that video posted at the top of the page. Like most people who love tech, it's fun to play around on the device, borderline addiction, if not past it. I try my best to leave the phone out of sight when interacting with people now. It's hard because when someone else pulls out their phone you might have thoughts like "why are they looking at their phone" followed by an emotion, but it's just a signal that we have something internally to deal with regarding why someone chooses to look at their phone when interacting with you.

17. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I went into AT&T last night to see about getting a new phone. The lady basically said I didn't know what I was missing for not having a smart phone and that I needed to upgrade. You should have seen here face when I told her I have an iPhone for work and I'm not missing a thing.

18. musicjunky macrumors regular

I hate to be the guy who's always on the phone (during my commute, on lunch break, walking home) but it occupies my mind and makes the doldrums go away faster. :eek: It fills a void in my life.

19. krazykleo macrumors regular

I will only pull out my phone when I am conversing with other people if they pull theirs out before me.

OP, I am an introvert just like you and am not big on social stuff either lol :) but when I do happen go out I try to be as polite and considerate of others and pay attention to what they have to say.

But 90% of the people and classmates are always on their phone!!! I get like 10 maybe 20 texts a day and they get that many in 5 mins LOL

Maybe I'm just a loser and need more friends :(

20. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I have only done this once. A buddy talked me into seeing the movie Machete, and it was so bad that I found myself ignoring the no cell phone policy so I could make it through this crappy movie. Was a life saver.

21. musicjunky macrumors regular

Haha Machete. I can't take those intentionally bad campy movies anymore. Enough grindhouse already.

22. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

[​IMG]

As sirens blare and people scramble for safety, a man in a suit and tie is focused on his BlackBerry as he passes by a Capitol Hill Police officer taking position with a rifle on 9/3/2013, shortly before a Connecticut woman was shot to death outside the U.S. Capitol after trying to ram her car through a White House barrier.

23. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA