Has your subscription to The Daily ended?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by eagleglen, Feb 23, 2011.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Initially, The Daily was offering two weeks for free, but for a while, it seemed to be extended until February 28. That was allegedly to accommodate the essential release of iOS 4.3, which hasn't happened yet. Today however, my subscription ended. So can you subscribe using iOS 4.2? Did other people's free subscription for from 2 weeks, to the 28, but then back to the 23rd?

2. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

I had the same question when it prompted me to pay for a subscription today. I had also heard that the free period was extended.

I tried deleting the app and downloading it again. Now, when I start it up, I get the initial intro graphics, then a black screen for a few seconds, then the app quits. Argh!

3. geko29 macrumors 6502

I did the same thing, and got the same result (BEFORE reading your post, of course, I'm not that dumb. :D). I tried restarting the iPad several times (after install, before install, etc), with no luck.

I also was under the impression that the free period was to go through the 28th. But now I can't pay even if I wanted to, which is a bit of a flaw. I guess now we have to wait until a new version of the app is released, which hopefully doesn't crash if the free period is over.

4. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I deleted the app after a week of testing and trying it and decided that there is no way I'd pay for that kind of lite content.

5. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

Yes, subscription ended and won't download a new issue unless I pay.

6. dave006 Contributor

dave006

I was able to get it to update by deleting the current version, then rebooting the iPad and then reinstalling the Feb. 9th version. It failed a couple of times when launching the app but then downloaded the latest version and says I have a new subscription that now expires on March 21.

Dave

7. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

All will be resolved when 4.3 drops on Wednesday. It's stupid that it's hiccuping like this. Really knocks the shine off of iOS Subscription model before it can even get out of the gate.

8. geko29 macrumors 6502

Mine just started working again yesterday afternoon, right about the time they officially announced they extended the trial period. I suspect you were going through the process at around the time they threw the switch.

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

It has been telling me I have 1 day left for the past 4 or 5 days, but when I opened it today it just downloaded the latest issue with no subscription prompt...