Haswell demo'd at IDF

Discussion in 'iMac' started by russofris, Sep 12, 2012.

1. russofris macrumors regular

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

Grrrrr....

4. russofris thread starter macrumors regular

My reaction is split somewhere between "Grrrr..." and "Hmmmm...". Either way, I'll be purchasing the next 27" iMac to be released.

F

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

With Haswell not due until mid next year, I doubt Apple will skip over IB. Having said that, I will wait for a Haswell mini to show up on refurb before replacing my 2009 C2D.

6. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

It would be interesting indeed. I was talking about this possibility in another thread but the flaming there lead to its closure. lol

There are a lot of people around here who take it very personally and become very upset at the suggestion there may not be 2012 iMac models I found.

7. johnnyturbouk macrumors 68000

johnnyturbouk

on the yellow [oled] brick road to tech nirvana.
    TBH, i might just wait for the retina imacs. I have the feeling that the retina macs will most likely not be released till haswell. USB3 will also be a fantastic addition, since TB has failed to shake the consumer market: i brought a TB goflex adapter and goflex drive - constant crashes and no real-world speed boost over esata!

PS- TB might be more affordable next year, and less prone to bugs - also fibreoptic connection ;)

8. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Everyone seems to expect them to skip a generation, and that is just so silly. Even if it's at the end of this year, you'll still see Ivy. Haswell will not automatically launch an imac the day it starts shipping, and it doesn't even ship until the second half.

Is it a true fibre connection next year? There is little point in waiting. You'd place the imac on a 2 year refresh at that point, which is silly when a spec bump is extremely cheap. The idea that the line has to be heavily retooled is complete nonsense given the pin compatibility of its cpus and minimal other changes.

9. russofris thread starter macrumors regular

It's hard to argue. I think I hear Apple saying "We're not going to release anything that is not far better than the previous generation in every facet of its operation". I understand that this doesn't exclude IVB, though I do believe that the new iMac will be much more than the spec-bump that many appeared to be betting on.

F

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

A couple rumors surfaced regarding lcd panel lamination. They're using some kind of polarization layer on the rMBP. It's not like the AT-W polarizers used on some of LG's earlier 24" displays, but if they're trying to work out how to make that work at 21.5 and 27" sizes, it could explain the delay. The mini is most likely delayed due to the imac. They never release it prior to the imac. Saying in ever aspect is not accurate in any way. They've used the same display with the possibility of minor tweaks since 2009 or 2010. It's not like everything changes on an annual basis. USB3, slightly faster cpus that draw less power, and an updated gpu are all upgrades. If other things were too far from ready, they'd be pushed to a later refresh. This has happened many times. Model gets released. We see a lot of rage posts that it doesn't come with whatever feature.

11. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Most likely sales are still strong so they are making huge margins selling old hardware (which must be dirt cheap now). It worked before like in the GMA950 minis. It should have been a no brainer to pop in an IB (didn't even need Z77) and HD7770/50/30M for instant spec bump with nearly zilch re-engineering.