Haswell MacBook Pro GPU guesses

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samjohnson6, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Samjohnson6 macrumors newbie

So we all know cutting edge GPU's are not on Apple priority list but with the Razer Blade having a GTX 765m in a identical form factor anyone think apple will up their GPU game?

2. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

I am more thinking with the rumours that its Iris Pro 5200 iGPU and that's it but hope I am truely wrong and they suprise us with at least a dGPU Nvidia 750

3. Samjohnson6 thread starter macrumors newbie

If they take out the dGPU they certainly should drop the price a few hundred $$ and drop the pro from the name. But this Apple were taking about

4. iStiggy macrumors member

AnandTech last year when they reviewed hinted at something along the lines that the cooling system is better than it needs to be. I think Iris Pro and a discrete card. The cooling can handle it no issues. Having Iris handle most pf the graphics with help battery life greatly, while the card with give performance when needed.

5. applepie555 macrumors regular

Iris pro is so expensive that it wouldn't make sense to put in a dGpU.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Iris seems to be faster than the 650M for computing tasks and video encoding. It is mostly gaming performance that would suffer, and the MBP was never "pro" for gaming.

7. Serban Suspended

HD4600+dGPU is more powerful
    I hope 760M because it has some nice performance and the heat can be still in 80 celsius range.

8. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

I would buy it if will have 675m and haswell never more
    I pur my money aside waiting for it

9. Spudhead macrumors member

why is everyone so sure apple are going to drop the dGPU?

I need to go google this Iris Pro aswell that you're all charming on about because I haven't got a clue.

Edit: So I see Iris Pro is the new integrated graphics in the Haswell chips and seems pretty impressive but why drop the dGPU?

10. Ichabod. macrumors regular

The geekbench report for the 15-inch Haswell MBP didn't seem to have a dGPU present, giving this kind of speculation quite a bit more clout.

Iris Pro is just Intel's name for their higher-end iGPU system. Supposedly it can produce comparable performance to the 650M. Though there's a lot of speculation about its overall performance since it hasn't been tested extensively outside of Intel. (There are few, if any any laptops with it released with Iris Pro)

11. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

I meant 765m...damn study hard

12. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

I highly doubt that Apple would put in the same GPU as the Razer Blade/Blade Pro. I would love to be proven wrong though.

13. Serban Suspended

If they put HD5100 in the 13" rMBP and no dGPU in the 15" they will kill the sells for the 15". Form factor better, and not so much differences between the 5100 and 5200..so no chance for no dGPU

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

15. Serban Suspended

16. xxskorpion88xx macrumors member

Quote..
    Hoping in a improved heat control and a GPU like Razer has..55w if they igzo screen can balance the power drain
    Ofc I refer 15'' model that I want

17. Koulie macrumors regular

Koulie

My guess is that they bite the bullet and discontinue dGPU in the 15", opting for the Iris Pro.

I think Apple has been planning to shift away from dGPU in their laptop line-up for quite some time now, and this will be their first step towards that future model. Ultamately, if they do, it will be a downgrade from the current-gen 2012 rMBP in some performance-heavy areas ie gaming. Although, I presume next year's Haswell 2.0 or Broadwell will be more competitive with dGPUs.

Overall, if the my gusss is true, this year's real beneficiary will be the 13"; if they pack the same iGPU, it will eat a lot of 15" sales, as it is a major factor when consumers decide between the 13" and 15".

18. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

The 13" geekbench leaks show a 28W chip that means HD 5100. Quite a differnce on both CPU and GPU fronts compared to the 47W HD 5200 quad cores the 15" will get.
    The 5100 is an upgrade from the HD 4000 but it will in many situations be quite a bit short of an HD 5200.

With the geekbench leaks one can pretty much assume that the 15" gets Iris Pro and the 13" iris. These leaks usually turn out to be right. If anything else happens it would be a big surprise.

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

20. HurryKayne macrumors 6502a

in fact it won't put any..