Haswell / rMacBook Pro Q2 2013? When will we see it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KravenMoorewood, Mar 6, 2013.

1. KravenMoorewood macrumors newbie

I've done some research into when we can expect the next version of rMacbook Pros with Intel's Haswell CPU's. It looks like we will see the chip sometime this June. The question is how fast will Apple integrate this chip into its mbp line.

1.) Can we expect to see them in June and/or WWDC 2013?
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/28/apple-to-update-macbook-pro-and-macbook-air-in-june-2013/

2.) rMBP's just saw a minor update, will we see a refresh so soon?
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...rices-of-MacBook-Pro-with-Retina-Display.html

3.) Other analyst expect to see the line redesigned for Q3. Does that idea hold water? Is that too long to wait if Haswell is out in June?
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/16...nes-retina-ipad-mini-all-retina-macbook-pros/

As you might guess, I'm looking to purchase sooner than later. Just an attempt to put a timetable on things. Wouldn't want to purchase now with such a large update around the corner.

Let me know what you guys think.

KM

2. pseudoghost macrumors newbie

Haswell won't be a significant enough update for the rMBP to make it worthwhile. You should expect a 10-20% boost in raw benchmarks (which likely won't matter to you on a day to day basis). Haswell's major focus is the iGPU, which Intel says should roughly double performance relative to the HD4000, but that would still place it well below the 650M in the current rMBP. So... I guess my point, is that it's not really a major upgrade. If you can wait, then wait, but there's always something new coming out.

3. adjeff8 macrumors 6502

adjeff8

BUT...It will also be the 2nd generation of the MacBook Pro Retina. Expect some things to be worked out/Improved. Quirks, possible bigger SSD, possible lower price. I'd wait. In fact I am.

4. KravenMoorewood thread starter macrumors newbie

I hear that the increase in discrete graphics will help with more minimal graphical tasks like browsing, which most of the computing is done within the CPU and not the GPU. A larger resolution must be a strain on any graphic process

I also agree with "working out the kinks". The newest version already has fan/issues from what I understand.
    http://www.ubergizmo.com/2013/03/2013-retina-macbook-pro-has-fan-speed-issues/

However, we still are not any closer to coming up with a date.

KM

5. unobtainium macrumors 68000

I was thinking that too, but then I realized that there really isn't much more room to start decreasing prices on the rMBP before the 13" will start to encroach on the price territory of the 13" MacBook Air. After Apple dropped prices a bit in January I would be surprised to see them do it again this summer. Larger SSD in the base model is possible, but not a sure thing. AC Wifi is possible but also not a sure thing. Haswell should improve graphics (especially in the 13") and might improve battery life and/or weight (if Apple opts for a slightly smaller battery). As someone else mentioned, CPU gains will be minimal.

Now the question is: are these modest improvements worth waiting as much as 6 months for? Kuo's 2013 release timeline shows new MacBooks coming in Q3 - that's anywhere from July to September. If Kuo is right (and I think he is), you'll be waiting at least four months, and maybe even half a year, for these modest improvements.

6. mykem macrumors regular

But it should be significant for the 13" rMBP for obvious reason- it only has integrated graphics, the HD400.

What we may see with 15" rMBP is the move to Radeon GPU. Apple often switches between Nvidia and AMD Radeon and the HD 8870M is one heck of a mobile GPU.

7. Serban Suspended

Yes i think for rMBP 13.3" will be a big difference because of the HD 4000. So you have a bump of CPU speed you will have a bump in graphics performance you will have a better life battery OR a lighter macbook pro.

So overall if you don't NEED right now the Macbook you should wait. I think the new intel chips will be first on the apple products, because through the apple keynote and with help of Phil Intel gets his presentation of their chips.

8. thewanted macrumors newbie

The discrete graphics chip in the next refresh of the 15" rMBP interests me the most, but that 8870M doesn't look to be much better than the GT650m.

8870M comparison

9. JoEw macrumors 65816

JoEw

After seeing my girlfriends Retina Macbook 13" in person, I really want it. The size/weight/power in my opinion makes it the perfect laptop. However I will be waiting for Haswell version. Hopefully before september (college) next year. Finding a 256gb entry specked model for 1,400 like my girlfriend did will be the hard part.

10. KravenMoorewood thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone know how long it typically takes for apple to refresh its MacBook Pro line once intel introduces a new processor type?

Km

11. moxxey macrumors regular

No it won't be. The new "2nd" generation rMBP was released, quietly, earlier this year, with a few internal updates.

A new chipset doesn't make it a "2nd generation". If anything, it's a first revision of the new model and that can bring other issues. If you buy a new rMBP now, you'll get the 2nd generation/revision based on Ivy Bridge, so most issues will be resolved in this release.

I don't have any issues at all with my current rMBP.

12. Serban Suspended

I think with apple keynote from June/July Intel will present through Apple and Phil the new chips inside macbook lineup. I don't see any other company to put in their computers the new chips before apple.

13. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

The only slight changes they made was to the 15 inch , this is still revision 1 so please dont kid your self, if you know apple you should already know that always wait for year 2 its always worth the wait

14. Liquinn Suspended

I'm going to wait for Haswell or Broadwell or perhaps Skylake since I'm able to wait and I don't need a new Mac yet.

Maybe with Skylake we'll see 16GB RAM and 512GB standard?

I guess it's better for me to wait a bit since you can't upgrade the machine post purchase.

15. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

It doesnt sound so crazy heck the ps4 is going to come out with 8GB of GDDR5 RAM if apple stop being cheap 8gb should be standard for the air and 16gb for the retina

16. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

I am gonna go ahead and say WWDC :)

What I am hoping for the most is 32GB ram, I wouldnt mind throwing 300$ at it for that. Oh and WiFi ac. I will be disappointing if no ac

17. robvas macrumors 68020

Don't forget that when consoles come out, they are sold for a loss. Apple isn't going to start selling Macs at a loss any time soon!

18. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I too am betting on a WWDC announcement.

With the new architecture though, I'm curious if Apple is "stuck" on this 7 hour battery life they've been touting the past few years - like its some kind of magic number that universally satisfies everyone.

I get 4.5 - 5.0 hours right now. I'd do cartwheels for a realistic 6 hours if that's what the changes bring. :eek:

19. Serban Suspended

20. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

21. Sean76 macrumors 6502

Sean76

I think WWDC is going to be devoted to...

A- A New ipad
    B- A New ipad mini
    C- And potentially a new Air/or retina Air

I think everything else will come in fall when the new iphone is released.

Unless Apple gets really nuts and decides to release a new iphone at WWDC and just throws all they're cards on the table and really blows people's minds with a ton of announcements...Ya never know, they could just make a crazy announcement saying all they're lap tops will now be coming with retina screens. With the way they're taking all this heat lately in the market, I could deff see them doing something really big come early summer.

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That gpu has a higher tdp than anything Apple has ever used in a macbook pro. From your link....

It isn't really a realistic expectation. Something like that could show up in an imac. In notebooks you're more likely to see that kind of thing in a 17" gaming notebook.

23. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm betting this year's WWDC will be different. While everyone at Apple can put on a straight face about the tanking stock and say it doesn't matter... they're lying - it very much does matter so i'm expecting Apple to grow some testicles and get aggressive. They will definitely want to milk those post-WWDC stock gains for all its worth. Especially this year.

24. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

power consumption is very different from TDP. the 650m is based on the 650, it consumes more power than the 8870m, which is basically a rebranded 7870m, which by all accounts is much more powerful than the 650m that apple put in there and much more competent at openGL

btw the tdp of both cards are the same.

apple really needs to develop a higher wattage psu

25. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I agree with that. Battery drain while plugged into the wall is extremely irritating, and at the very least they should have made a higher wattage charger available.