Haswell worth the wait? 13" mbp retina...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roksraka, Aug 30, 2013.

  1. roksraka macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #1
    Hi guys! I'm planning on buying a 13" retina very soon, since my 4 year old macbook pro 13" just isn't good enough anymore. But I'm in a dilemma...macbooks are pretty cheap right now, with back to school discounts etc., but I know there are new models coming out real soon with haswell processors (but the price will go up). As an architecture student, I use my computer for 3D and CAD modeling, photo editing, heavy multitasking etc. I don't really play any games. Would it make sense to wait for the new mb generation, or are the gains in performance low enough for me to just go with the "old" model.
    Thanks!
     
  2. henry72 macrumors 65816

    henry72

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2009
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
    I'd say if your old MacBook Pro working "fine" and just not "good enough", definitely WAIT because the new update will have a much better battery life which is great for uni and also faster flash, improved graphic and maybe a bit cheaper.

    Unless you don't care about those nice improvement then you can buy now, look at the refurbished store as well. It's all up to you at the end :)
     
  3. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #3
    I'd say wait if you can because in all likelihood the wait is now less than 60 days. And everyone is going to tell you that battery life is going to get at least a little bit better and if that means anything to you it's definitely worth waiting for.

    As for price, IMO it will at least stay the same. The MBA's got Haswell and I believe the prices went down by $100.
     
  4. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #4
    thanks for the advice guys! however, the battery life really isn't that important for me (i'm either working at home or in the studio, in both cases the computer is plugged in)...graphics may be a more important issue, since i have to do some renderings from time to time :)
     
  5. sofianito macrumors 65816

    sofianito

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2011
    Location:
    Spain
    #5
    If you want to save $400 or more then get it now. The major difference will be the GPU, the performance of the Iris 5100 is twice of the HD4000... However, according to the majority of 13" rMBP owners in this forum, Mavericks will solve all the lag issues... The dilemma is, in order to verify this statement, you need to wait for the release of Haswell and Mavericks, but by that time there won't be any early 2013 13" available except refurbs... :D
     
  6. Count Blah, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013

    Count Blah macrumors 68030

    Count Blah

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    US of A
    #6
    as others have said, save $300 now or get better graphics for the potential of another year of useability on the back end.

    Sadly, you are not given a choice in GPU, so HD4000->Iris 5100 is a major component to the long term viability of the 13"
     
  7. tbolt11 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2013
    #7
    IF you were pressed to buy something immediately, I would say look at the new MBAs.

    That said, wait for the haswell retinas like the rest of us.
     
  8. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #8
    yeeeeaaaah i'll probably wait... definitely not investing in MBA though - just not enough power for running photoshop, illustrator, autocad, rhino and blender at the same time :)
     
  9. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #9
    i just got offered a 15" mbp retina (lowest spec) from a friend of mine for 1700, about 5 or 6 months old... should i still wait for the new generation and get the 13" retina for about the same price?
     
  10. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #10
    You can get the same machine from the Apple refurbished section for $100 less, and a full twelve months of warranty. Unless it has extended applecare already on it, get your friend down a bit more.

    Managed to get the same machine on CL last month for $1400, and I have no regrets.
     
  11. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #11
    We don't know yet. Haswell improvements lay in extra battery life when on battery power, they don't lay on increased computing boost. Well, technically they do as eveything is much more effective in terms of power consumption.
     
  12. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #12
    Well, here's the problem...I'm from Slovenia, and we don't have refurbished macs here. I could order it from the US, but than the shipping would be expensive, and I wouldn't get the slovenian keyboard
     
  13. borgqueens macrumors member

    borgqueens

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2013
    Location:
    Denmark
    #13
    1700 us dollars or Slovenian cash ?

    If you wait for the 13" haswell you most likely can the 13" haswell cheaper then what your friend offers and much better in graphic compared to the current 13"

    The old 15" sure it has the dGPU however it still uses the old HD4000 I´m not sure what trickers the dGPU to kick in exept hard graphics use and then there is lag between switching. I think you´ll be better off waiting for the next 13" haswell rmbp and get a iGPU HD 5000 or 5100 not sure which. But the Geforce dGPU was made for gaming and might not be as good in graphic work as what you will get in 13" haswell rmbp
    So I advise you to wait get the 13" rMBP that will be a huge improvment in graphic performens compared to the current 13"
     
  14. paulCC macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    #14
    I am not sure what the shipping would cost, but you would have to pay the VAT in Slovenia when you receive the computer. I am guessing that is close to 20%......

    ( unless you use the computer in your business, and are a registered VAT payer.... )

    PaulC.
     
  15. roksraka thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2012
    Location:
    Slovenia
    #15
    1700 euros...but everything is more expensive here. the digits are the same, just that instead of $ there are euros :p another deciding factor is the screen :/ extra 2 inches can make quite a difference if you CAD a lot (that sounds dirty).... i'll think about it. thanks for advice :D
     

Share This Page