Haters Gonna Hate the iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImperialX, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

Alright, I predicted everything 100% spot on this time, and as I foresaw, the hate is already burning and APPL went down to $360 form $410 a few days ago. I'm buying in right now for obvious reasons, but I'll take a moment to talk about the iPhone 4S before I leave for Uni.

The iPhone 4 was more than an incremental update to the iPhone line. It introduced the new form factor made from stainless steel and glass. To this date, I have yet to see a phone that's as comfortable or as pleasing to look at as the iPhone 4, even though it's already 18 months old. I own the Galaxy S2, and I know how awkward it is to hold it compared to the iPhone 4.

I can see why people can hate on the iPhone 4S - because this design has remained the same for two years. However let me ask you this - if none of Apple's competitors have made something better than the iPhone 4 design, what would motivate them to change it? I actually want a redesign to, but as much as it pains me to say it, no competition is driving Apple here. No one has made a phone that looks and holds better than the iPhone 4, so Apple didn't change it.

The iPhone 4 design is phenomenal. The Retina Display still has more pixels than the SGS2's display which is bigger by far - it's the flagship Android phone and reading websites on it is a pain if you switch from the iPhone (Trust me, I know). Nothing needed changing on the display aspect either. Also, you know sliding down from the top for notifications? Yeah, try doing that on a screen larger than 4". Feels awkward, doesn't it? The iPhone 4's display size not only is super sharp, but it's a good form factor for that reason also. This is why Apple didn't change the screen size.

Enough about the things that haven't changed and onto the things that have - A5 chip, more RAM, 2x faster, 7x faster graphics. The iPad 2 has proven itself with benchmarks and all that is now in the iPhone. There's nothing to say here. Even if the iPhone 4S was a redesign the internal would still be the same, and it's still a beast. Graphics look better than anything another phone can conjure up.

The camera is amazing. My iPhone 4's 5MP camera has always beaten the SGS2's 8MP. It's all about the lens, and not the pixels. Megapixles have been a myth that has fooled tons of people for years. The iPhone 4S has a CMOS backside illuminated sensor AND a high-end IR filer! Also, an unprecedented f/2.4 aperture. This is simply mind-blowing for a smartphone camera that isn't Nokia. I was ready to shell out the money for it as soon as I saw the camera specs, and that's not even the best part.

Siri is revolutionary. It will change the way people use their phones. Voice Recognition has always been around, but Apple today has made it into something actually usable. INSTANT responses. INSANELY accurate recognition. LIMITLESS commands you can say. If you're unconvinced by the video, you should have seen Apple's live demo at their keynote today. Not a SINGLE mistake and immediate response. From "Do I need my raincoat today" to "Define Mitosis" and "Find some nice restaurants nearby." - EVERYTHING just works seamlessly. In a room full of background noise. This is the core of what makes the iPhone 4S revolutionary - the first phone you actually want to talk to - and communicates back accordingly.

iOS5 brings every feature users could want to the iPhone line, and iCloud is something I've talked about and we all know about - the entire user experience is completely seamless and up in the cloud. I am extremely happy with the announcement even though I saw everything coming as shown in my predictions - and I know when people get their hands on these AAPL will climb right back up. So thank you haters - I will be making money off your ignorance.

God bless Apple. You have my wallet this year too.

2. knownikko macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's all true, but people are gonna think I'm conspicuously holding a 16 MONTH OLD iphone 4 in line at Starbucks, and not the BRAND NEW iphone 4S.

That is simply unacceptable.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Dubthedankest macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who cares?

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

In any case you did a pretty darn good job with those predictions.

6. Nachoconqueso macrumors regular

God bless Apple? They're a business that takes money from you for a product that you don't really need. You're screwed up. Damn right they have your wallet. It's something you should be proud of...being owned by a business that is.

7. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

And you care about other people? This is YOUR phone. The fact that if all these specs and innovations came in a different case will shut up the haters just blow my mind. Can people point out ANY real faults with the iPhone 4?

No, the antenna was not a real problem. No, the screen was not bad. The iPhone 4 never dropped calls more than the SGS2 for me, and websites look so much better. Did I mention how much easier it was to slide down the Notifications Center on the iPhone than the SGS2?

I didn't mention it either, but we'll have to wait and see. The A4 had 256MB in the beginning with iPad, and bumped to 512MB with iPhone 4.

8. knownikko macrumors 6502

Exactly my point. /calibrates sarcasm meter

But reading the over-the-top responses and moanings around here you get the impression that's _Exactly_ the problem with the new hardware.

9. ImperialX thread starter macrumors 65816

ImperialX

It almost seems to me that people would be happy to have a teardrop design instead of Siri. That sheer stupidity just blows my mind.

10. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Ohh, so you think a 4S sucks because people won't think you've got the latest model? Poor baby.

11. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Do you realize you're commenting on a thread that's almost a year old?

12. adildacoolset macrumors 65816

Yes. But it's good to reignite them. I managed to get it back on the front page.

13. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

wow. amazing. getting months old topics to the frontpage takes a lot of effort and hard work :rolleyes:

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

If more iPhone users were honest, like you're being, instead of making up excuses for Apple to justify the lack of innovation since the iPhone 4, we'd be better off.

I too find it unacceptable that Apple's is going on to year three, with the same old look. Slab sided glass iPhones are now looking very dated and that's just not like Apple.

Or is it?

I think it's a sign of the new stronger, cockier, Apple that's quick to recycle an existing design to profit from not having to spend to create a new phone.

Then there's the fact that it's getting really old to have to wait & wait while Apple screws around deciding just how much they can get away with.

They seem to be taking advantage of having a huge cadre of Apple apologists that will justify & support their every move no matter what.

I want a fresh, new, innovative iPhone. One that I can get excited over.

Sadly there's not anything in sight to indicate we'll see something truly new for a long time.

----------

One minute people are bitching about users starting a new thread.

Then when the OP does the _Right Thing_ and uses an existing thread, more bitching .... :eek:

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So this.

Intellectual honesty is better for all in the long run. Perpetuating the "it just works" motto when it isn't true in many areas actually does disservice to Apple, its fans, and its users.

16. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Very well said.

17. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

First off, I didn't know if the poster actually realized they were commenting on a thread that is almost a year old. People do it a lot, not realizing that they're pulling up a dead conversation.

That being said, in this case, the "right thing" was reviving an old thread to make a comment that contributes nothing new? I'm all for people searching and bringing up old threads, provided there's actually a reason to comment on them. The comment that was made added nothing that hadn't been said before, so there was really no point to it. Not only that, but considering that the next iPhone will be out in a couple months at the most and iOS6 is close to release, is discussing the merits of the 4S over the 4 really still necessary? This has been gone over so many times, and I think pulling up an old thread to add a comment that gives no new information was rather pointless.

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

...and Samsung has used the same plastic design on the S series (actually all their phones) because they're too cocky to spend money on a new design.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Seriously? ... Plastic is commonly used... in many things... repeatedly.

You're grasping at straws, and it's sounding pathetic.

20. batting1000 macrumors 604

As is glass, so what's the big deal?

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Lot of tension in the forums these days. May be why the mods are starting to clamp down on things.

22. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

23. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The person you quoted, I believe, was speaking more about design, than materials. You decided to point out that Samsung uses nothing but plastics, while ignoring that they've at least redesigned their Galaxy S line three times for each three iterations.

I don't care to get anymore into it beyond this with you and your selective reading.

24. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

It was in Oct 4th, 2011. ;)

25. batting1000 macrumors 604

I also don't care to get anymore into it beyond this with you and your selective reading.