Hatred for Apple users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by roxics, Sep 9, 2013.

1. roxics macrumors regular

It seems like every time I'm in a discussion with people regarding macs or iphones (outside of Apple related forums) there is always someone or some people that have a negative association toward Apple users, calling us iHipsters or saying we think we're better than everyone else.

I don't know, I've honestly never met a Apple user who strikes me like that. Most are just regular folks who prefer using a mac and/or an iphone.

It seems like the most hatred comes from PC gamers or linux guys. I'm starting to think that the so called mac-superiority complex doesn't really come from Apple users themselves acting a certain way, but is more of a reflection of people who just don't like mac users in general. That they are the ones that actually created this stereotype.

But why?

Linux guys baffle me the most because OSX is unix-like yet they'll defend Windows (which is not) while bashing on macs.

Why do you think this is?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

To some extent it is a reaction to the arrogant attitudes that Steve Jobs projected at all times and encouraged in the most loyal and rabid segments of his fan base.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Sadly, it's just human nature. We tend to be threatened by anyone acting outside our 'norm'; whether it's dressing differently, talking differently, acting differently, having a cool toy....

It was the same (here, at least) when mobile phones first came out. Anyone who had one was a (insert profanity here), who thought he/she was better than everyone else, and deserved ridiculing. Of course, now that almost everyone has one, that no longer happens, and if anything people without a phone are ridiculed.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

As I said in another thread, I think it mostly comes down to people not getting to experience the iPod. No one 18 or under got that experience of having and using one when just about everyone had one and when it was the "most amazing thing ever" at the time. So while most of us have graduated into iPhones and iPads, and maybe even Macs, the younger guys have no clue.

They just look at the price tag and think that you're wasting your money.

5. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

Most mac users are how do say it uhhh not pleasant people to be around everything revolves around Apple justified or not.

Hardcore Linux folks tend to fall into two camps in my experience ones that are all about open source and ones that need to prove their geek creds by building a system from scratch. Apple is the antithesis of open with anything, and the requirements to build aren't there. They'll defend Windows because it's an open platform and the lesser of two evils. OSX shares more DNA with BSD than it does Linux so there's that too.

I use an Arch notebook and a Mac, I like them both but if forced to choose one I'll take my Arch build over my MBP I built it and know it inside out.

6. LOLZpersonok, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I do not consider all Apple users to be the same because I know that a lot of them are just regular users who either just prefer Macs over Windows but don't care much about anything else of the sort. Either that or they just use Apple products for their specific functions. It's the 'fanboys' and 'fangirls' that I do not like. I also have some pretty good reasons too.

Windows users, Linux users and Android users have been subjected to hate from the Apple fanbase in the past (And it still happens now), being called unintelligent, distasteful, uncreative, stupid, poor, unclassy, amongst all other names, simply because of our choice in what device or system we use.

I believe it's because of the 'superiority' Apple generally tends to parade and Steve Jobs' reality distortion that causes this to occur. The fanbase of Apple to me seems to believe that they are the socially elite and the most creative people in the world with great taste.

It's very narrow-minded to think of all Apple users as the same just as it's narrow-minded to think all Asians drive poorly or all gay men are flamboyant. It's also not true that all Windows users are stupid, idiotic, poor or uncreative, just as it's not true that all Apple users are extremely creative, technically savvy and elite.

I believe the way a lot of companies out there with strong fanbases advertise and parade themselves is very poor because of the conflict it causes between opposing fans, taking the Apple vs. Microsoft conflicts for example - it's just unnecessary.

Both companies make good products and both have their shortcomings but problems arise when people criticize either company for no good reason and it crosses the line when the fans of either company bash and put down the fans/users of the other company. We're all human and it's not right to treat each other this way for any reason.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I just shrug it off. Seriously, it's not hard to ignore.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If someone wants to expend that much hating a company (or anything) nothing I can do will alter that. Let them have their hate, I'll stick to enjoying life :)

9. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Some of this may have to do with power Windows and Linux users feeling their world slip away. Macs are becoming more and more appliance computers. Lots of Mac users don't like that either but are willing to put up with it because both OS X and Apple hardware are so good. The fear is Apple will either take over or the build it yourself component market will gradually disappear and PC OEM's copy Apple and make non-upgradeable PC's.

For people who like to build their own systems and have complete control over all the components, Macs must feel threatening. And so they lash out. It's understandable.

I used to build PC's. But after several years I found I was getting little actual work done. With Macs my whole focus is on the work I'm doing on the computer and not in the maintenance and constant building and rebuilding of the tool. That was refreshing.

10. iphonehype macrumors 6502

To be honest I never understood how great Apple was till I got my Mac.

I was always into my iPod's and never a Mac fan due to the non Intel CPUS.

in 2007 when Steve Jobs announced the iPhone I was amazed was 16 then so couldn't afford it go the iPod Touch.

When 3G/3GS didn't bother me. Then the iPhone 4 came. I was hooked, shortly after got my first MacBook Pro. Then I was sprung.

I think after all the experiences of all devices working together you can understand the true potential of Apple. Its that Eco system. You hate it but absolutely love it!