Have a PB G4, going for a M15x-convince me otherwise!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyberger87, Jun 5, 2008.

1. andyberger87 macrumors newbie

I have been a happy owner of a 17' PowerBook G4 (Feb. '05 revision) and am finally ready to buy a new comp. I am all over the M15x and really want it for the power, gaming ability and Blu-ray. Plus this is an early college grad present so I want to go ALL OUT! I wouldnt mind having another MBP but the desing hasnt change and I cant play games like Mass Effect, Crysis and BioShock. I will wait till Mon. to see if any new MBP is announced but I would like to hear you guys opinions. Thanks!

2. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

I think the general opinion would be... Wait till Monday for our opinion.

3. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

whats the point of blue ray on a laptop? The screen isn't good enough to reap the benefits is it?

also...BootCamp for your games.

I had to use Win XP for a couple of weeks last month and man was i glad to return to my mac. I'm not windows bashing, but i just don't really know how to use XP anymore. Would you be happy using XP/Vista on a daily basis (not because they're 'rubbish' - they're not, but you'd be learning a new operating system all over again.)

4. andyberger87 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is what I think I will do. It cant hurt to wait a few days. But that 8800M GTX in the M15x is mighty tempting.....

5. andyberger87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have invested in hundreds of dollars for Blu-Ray (I have a PS3), so yes I would like to have one and I would buy the 1900x1200 screen on the M15x...even if it is a 15.4' screen!

6. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

Well I for one would love a BR option, with a HDMI port, to go along with the 1920x1200 res on that lovely 17" MBP.

If one were released, I'd definately hand over my credit card details to Apple... :D

7. jeremyrader macrumors member

Let's see... you're graduating college and your top priorities are "gaming" and watching high definition movies on a little screen. Are you the only 15 year old getting your degree next year?

Shoot for the M15x then, you've earned it

...well, almost...
    :D

8. darklyt macrumors regular

As the owner of a 15" MBP, I really am not impressed with the design of the M15x. The numbers are nice, but even though the case hasn't been updated in a long time now, the MBP just looks so much better.

As other people have said, is it worth going to Windows to play games? Would the MBP be able to run these games well if you ran XP or Vista?

9. andyberger87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I am 21 and I am going to try to get my MBA after a year off of school to work. I do have free time also so gaming is a must for me. And If I have the option to spend $4000 on a laptop, why not go for the M15x? I do like the back-to-school special Apple is promoting though...

10. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

If you don't mind to loose the ability to use os x, go for the windoze machine :cool:

11. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

at this stage in computing, you are a winner either way you go

basically, the only reason i would go pc is for gaming, being that the higher end video cards, laptop or desktop, often find their way earlier to PCs, sometimes in a format never seen on any mac

until macs require that high end video card, it will never happen as fast as the PC side but in the past there have been some exceptions

12. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go for what you want, our opinions should make make no difference to you. I love my mac, over priced, less specced I don't care. It has not stopped me buying them and never will. BUy what you want and need.

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If you want an M15x (whatever that is), why would anyone try to convince you otherwise? It's you who has to live with your decision, not us.

14. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

It sounds like your priorities are gaming and high-def movies. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, you need to ask yourself if you will really be using your notebook for those things, or if the idea just seems 'cool' to you. I don't mean that in an insulting way, I just mean that those goals may already be met by your ps3 and an HDTV. Also, the m15x isn't very portable, so you might want to consider a desktop for gaming and movies (much more power for your buck, but you can't watch a movie in bed or go to a LAN party as easily). The last thing to you need to consider is whether you use iLife and simply how much you enjoy OS X over Windows.

Basically, what are your needs? Gaming? You know why you want the m15x, but you should also think about why you want to be talked out of it. Think about your actual uses versus the attraction of having the most powerful notebook on the market. Also, I would go for the m17x if you're going all-out. It's not like the 15-incher is very portable, so you might as well buck up to the 17. Oh, and if you're really into power, they have some notebooks out with quad-core desktop chips... but that's nuts expensive.

-Ado

15. andyberger87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I do feel that after with having a large HDTV a PS3 and a PSP for on-the-go gaming, a gaming laptop might not really matter. A MBP would cost around the same (3500-4000) but I am comforatble with the software, but want Blu-Ray with it and a new fresh look. The 17' PowerBook G4 I have now looks the same! I hope for good news come June 9.

16. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

and andy,

and if you can't live with the decision when you get the m15x, you can always send it to me...i will even pay for shipping ;)

don't listen to what people say about portability...the hardcore mobile gamers i know don't mind carrying a few extra pounds as they like to show off to their gaming friends at the mall, coffee shop, or campus and that wow factor of sheer power is usually the purpose of getting something not so portable

i love the dell xp/xps portable, which is maybe 9 lbs., which i see a small shopkeeper lug around and play when things are slow in the store

with the 8800 gpu and core duo extreme, you have the stats any mac is unlikely to have for a long time

when you finish college, you may end up with a good career but no time to enjoy the gaming laptop as most good careers can end up being more than 40 hours a week (CONGRATS - your four years of hard work in college has earned you the right to work 10 hours a day or six days a week, or both)...so take my advice, he he, get a public sector job and you will have PLENTY of free time for your gaming :)

i have a buddy in the federal govt in a gs job and he is required to work just 90 minutes a day, but no more in an 8 hour shift...he gets paid ok and has a lot of time for gaming

17. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

OSX, Backlit keyboard, multitouch trackpad for everything easy as hell and a joy to use (even sometimes prefer it to external mouse!), Sexiness of aluminum and thinness, able to run windows via parallels for convenience for small programs or bootcamp for total native for gaming, isight camera, glowing apple logo on top of the lid, did I also mention OSX?!?!

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'll just say if you want to play games, don't get a MBP; I game and play on a touchpad; it sucks with only 1 button and it's really easy to accidentally right click or do something weird.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

All I can say is if your not bothered about the OS and the ugliness of the machine, then go for it. MBP is a bad gaming choice. Will you be keeping the Powerbook?

20. andyberger87 thread starter macrumors newbie

I would love to keep to it, just so I don't have to transfer all my iTunes over, but I might sell it to someone for dirt cheap. But keeping it/updating it over time would be nice. Yeah, I'd like to keep it.

21. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

Good for you! Please pay no attention to the snarky comments of one poster. Alas, meanspirited crap like that is inevitable in technical groups like this. Such folks should learn that they are better off when they avoid all human contact – certainly WE are better off. :)

I’m not a gamer and have avoided Blu-Ray so far, so I can’t address your issues where computer choice is concerned. I bought a MacBook Pro in March to replace a five year old PowerBook G4. The MB Pro has been great but, as noted, I don’t game and I don’t Blu-Ray. Keep in mind, though, that you can run Windows as well or better on a MB Pro as you can on most PCs. Further the PB G4 looks like new and performs just as well as it did when I bought it five years ago.