Have had 6 kernel panics since upgrading to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacMan123, Nov 7, 2007.

1. MacMan123 macrumors newbie

This is the first time I have ever had a kernel panic. Its about once or twice a day! Can anyone help me?

2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

What kind of upgrade did you do?

Did you have any sort of third party hacks installed, or kernel extensions maybe?

That is not normal behaviour, definitely.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Ya, totally not normal. I have upgraded my 2 computers and a few machines at work, and so far its been rather stable. With the exception of flash of course :D

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Not to hijack the thread. But I'v had like 4 so far today. And 3 yesterday!!
    All I'v been doing is using Firefox, Mail, iTunes, MSN, Ichat and Skype. Thats usually all thats open.
    And it's getting rather annoying now! I had like 2 kernal panics in the space of a year when using Tiger. :confused:
    I also done a clean install.

5. stewacide macrumors regular

I got a few from the Wifi driver, I believe because I had Azureus open w/ hundreds of active connections. Only happens when Azureus was really roaring.

6. MacMan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Clean Install

No haxies at all, I guess the only sort of weird type things I run are Growl, Flip4Mac, and TVShows.

7. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

"Only" two, here:

1st, the first evening with Leopard. Happened on the first launch of Parallels. None after, and none after using their new beta.

2nd was odd - happened on wake from sleep. Looks like it was Bluetooth.

8. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Bittorrent stuff causing kernel panics is a known issue with Leopard 10.4.0 I believe.

9. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I was using an erase and install on a 12" Powerbook G4 for several days with no issues. Then I decided to turn OFF Bluetooth to save battery power. I have 3 panics in the next 5 minutes. When I managed to get the machine to boot again I turned BT back on again and haven't had a problem since.

I'm guess Apple never tested Leopard with features turned off because "why would anyone no want to use bluetooth? " :)

10. PatrickC macrumors member

After the iTunes update and the other update that went along with it, I've had 2 kernel panics that only happen when I'm turning my Powerbook on from a full Shutdown. Holding down the power button and trying again lets the Powerbook boot up like normal.

11. MacMan123 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I looked up some stuff after you said this and yes Azuerus causes kernel panics right now. I'll just switch to Transmission until it is all sorted out.

Thanks guys. And keep this thread alive to help the other people in this thread I guess.

12. stewacide macrumors regular

I hope they get Azureus sorted out, sadly there's nothing else comparable on the Mac.

13. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I have used Azuerus quite a few times recently, and I have not had a single kernelpanic. However, it does have some issues with quitting out, typically requires a kill -9.

14. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I think Azureus is causing my kernel panics too. Although the first week I didn't have any but I also wasn't downloading or uploading much.

Yea I made a similar thread but no one responded :( Maybe I'll get transmission too...

15. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

No issues with my Mac Pro or my iBook G4. Fresh install on both.

Do you have an ATI video card in the machines with the issues?

If so, it could be related to the video lockup issues affecting several of the ATI graphics systems.

16. mrlapo macrumors newbie

I also get 2 or 3 kernel panics per day :(
    And I also use Azureus most of the time. I've never had a kernel panic on Tiger.