Have iPhone Replacements Gotten Better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jg2693, May 28, 2011.

1. jg2693 macrumors newbie

Hi!

New here, was just wondering if the replacement phones have gotten any better as in screen temperature wise. For a long time they were plagued with overly-yellow displays. My phone is acting up, and want to get it replaced, but don't want any yellow looking displays. If anybody has gotten any replacements recently, please report back! Thanks!

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

My wife and I both got replacements a couple of days ago and both of them have pretty yellowed displays. Kinda sad.

3. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you have a issue go to the Apple store. If they exchange it you can compare the screens before you leave. I have exchanged my i4 no issues but I am not a ocd person by nature. I mainly just want it to function correctly.

4. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Nope.

Yellowed still. Call Applecare and they will ship you a brand new one.

5. the.sheepdog macrumors regular

the.sheepdog

makes me wonder why you didn't get a new iphone replacement anyway. You started out with a new one and if that dies a replacement should also be a new one.

That is certainly all I would accept.

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha, that's the way warranties work. If all else fails you could always read the warranty policy on almost any product. :cool:

7. jg2693 thread starter macrumors newbie

What are the serial numbers on the phones?

8. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I got a replacement iPhone last week. It had a horrible yellow screen, took it in and got them to open 2 phones. The first was better but still not good. The third was much better, what I'm on now, much like the original, but still not 100% prefect.

9. jg2693 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is it a 5K? What week number?

10. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I agree with the guy who said to call Apple and ask for a new one.

This may be your last resort

11. seble macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's "5K120"

12. yourmother macrumors regular

I think it might just be luck of the draw. I got my old iphone replaced for free 2 weeks ago as it was damaged in the earthquake (i live in japan).

The screen seems noticeably better than my old phone. That is just my perception anyway, I never thought my old phones screen was terrible though.

13. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

A previous thread on yellow screens said that that new in box phones where arriving with a yellow screen and not just the refurbs. Is this true?

14. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Replacement iPhone will always be the same phones people so freely reject for another. Apple users are picky and I bet Apple keeps a butt load of rejects.

15. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

They are not rejects, the replacements are refurbs you can tell by the 5k serial. The phones people return in the 30 day time frames are the ones that ATT sells as "cosmetic defects".

16. ddl42486 macrumors newbie

I bought my iphone 4 32GB NIB from at&t earlier this month and just now noticed its screen is yellow compared to my iphone 4 16GB.

Should i get it replaced at the apple store or call apple care??

17. Appslover macrumors newbie

If Apple had used OLED screens they would not be un this mess.

iphones and their low QC.:rolleyes:

18. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

They're not picky dude. I just had my launch iPhone 4 - 32 replaced today, not because I wanted to but because the home button quit working. I knew as soon as I replaced it, I would end up with a crappy screen. Guess what, I predicted the future!

My launch phone had a crisp, white, beautiful screen. My "new" phone, warmer, washed out screen. A big difference. A sad difference honestly that there is SO MUCH variation in screens. It wouldn't be a problem if I could change the color temperature. However, I cannot.

19. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Finally more people notice it on here. Ive been called crazy since Feb.

20. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

For $29 and a $599 hold on your credit card.

21. AndrewR23, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

You can easily get it waived by complaining. Although I didn't complain about the 29$ fee and they waived it for me.

The hold was for 499$. Plus say you call monday before 6:30, your phone ships Tuesday, arrives Wed. You ship out your old phone Thurs, arrives Fri. Less than a week that hold is on your CC.

No brainer to do this.

22. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

they have never been bad

my brothers screen was yellow. after a month of use it looks just as white as my launch iphone 4

its the optical glue or white leds that must be the problem, but look at any month+ used iphone 4s are proof that the yellowing goes away

23. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Have you ever thought of the possibility that Apple re-assigns a new serila when they refurb the reject? You know they have the ability to do that!:p

Belive me they are not throwing out a iP4 that some OCD owner thinks the screen is not as white as it should be:eek:

24. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I know. But AFAIK the returned iPhones that are in good working condition even if there are cosmetic defects, yellow screen, etc, go back to ATT/VRZ. The ones that do not work are sent back to apple.

I don't know about VRZ, but ATT sells the phones that have been returned in the 30 day period as blemished/used. They don't send them to Apple.

25. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

No, yellow tinted screens are not caused by glue. Heres a picture

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=238500&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1278967512

Look at the picture I provided. You don't have to be OCD to see the left screen is not acceptable.