Have Long Backup Times Returned?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFerd, Feb 10, 2009.

1. iFerd macrumors 6502a

Lately it seems like my iPhone has started to take forever to backup again. Am I alone?

2. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

my touch backs up way faster then it used to. maybe a restore to fix your problem

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I haven't noticed anything out of the norm with my iPhone 3G (latest firmware).

4. aerospace macrumors 6502a

Removed an app today via itunes, backed up and sync'd in about 20 seconds. I was in shock, actually left it connected another minute because I didn't believe it was actually done.

(2 yr old, 1.6mhz single core laptop)

5. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I've noticed long backup times as well and iTunes in general seems to be running slowly.....:confused:

6. rs13 macrumors member

my back up have been much faster then the were before the last update on my iphone

7. iphoneCraze1080 macrumors newbie

I am with you on this...I have a 1st gen iphone ...and the long backup times are back after updating to 2.2.1

8. iKungFu macrumors newbie

iKungFu

I'm with you

Just posted the same to the "iPhone Backup" thread.

2.2.1 update backup took me over half an hour and completely locked iTunes during it.

Don't remember backups taking this long before... :confused:

On an iPhone 3G btw

9. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I believe this is DRM-related. Deauthorize computer. Then Authorize computer. Then download FREE App. Then Sync iPhone.

10. yoppie macrumors 6502a

My 1st gen. iPhone backs up faster. I noticed the shorter time when I updated my facebook application.

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

My backups take around 30seconds to 1 minute .... nowhere near the old 2.0 10 - 20 minute backups

12. iFerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I restored my phone last night, but that didn't help. (I'd forgotten what a pain that is when you have chosen to sync only selected applicatons - all have to be checked off again from the entire list of possibilities.) Backups still took a long time compared to the past, so no joy there.

I have now deauthorized and reauthorized my computer and then downloaded a new free app. The backup that went before installing the new app went faster, but I had a very slow backup only a few minutes before. I'll come back late today and report whether this is a real solution for me or not. I'm really hoping it is.

Another member of the family is not experiencing slow backups.

13. yalag macrumors 65816

You are not alone, my backup times are back to over 1 minute.....any solution?

14. iFerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, despite a restore and also deauthorizing, reauthorizing and downloading a new free app, I'm hard pressed to say much has improved. I haven't actually put a stopwatch on it, but my backups still are taking much longer than they did before. I'm not sure when the longer times reappeared, though.

Does having specific applications installed affect backup time? I have about five pages worth installed, so I doubt I am pushing any kind of absolute limit on number of applications installed. What about having lots of applications in iTunes that aren't installed on the phone?

Edit: I did a bit of Googling tonight and found reference to Facebook being a culprit in longer backup times. The advice was to be sure to update to Facebook version 2.2, which I already had. But on a whim I deleted it from the phone and from iTunes and synced. Then I downloaded a fresh copy of Facebook and reinstalled it. So far, I think I may have hit on something. Speed has improved quite a bit. But I'll have to wait until after a day's use and then see again before I'll believe this is it. If someone else tries this, post your outcome here.

Edit 2:
    Never mind. I'm backing up this morning and the glacial backups have returned. I have no idea how long it will take, but the progress bar is stopped at about 5% of the distance to the finish and has been for about 10 minutes..

15. Galley macrumors 65816

Galley

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Unbelievable. Mine never took THAT long. But...

...it IS Facebook.app!

I was experienceing a 70 second backup and removed Facebook.app and the backup took 8 seconds!

I then added Facebook.app back and browsed through various sections (Status Updates, Inbox, etc) and the backup took less than 8 seconds :)

How many of Applications cripple the backup procedure?

17. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

I realized that if you haven't backed up your iPhone is awhile then it will take a long time to back up. If you back it up every 3 days it won't take as long.

18. samiwas macrumors 65816

I also wonder how many people with long backups/syncs use smart playlists to manage their music, thus requiring the phone to download new music each time it syncs (and taking a while)? I don't know...just a thought...

19. iFerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I back mine up daily, and I still am having very long times.

20. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My backup just took about 3 minutes with 20 applications update to boot...:cool:

21. jdcouture2001 macrumors newbie

I having the same problem with LONG backup times.... tried deleting facebook as suggested above but that it not solve the problem. Any one had any luck fixing this?

22. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

My wife's phone has Facebook app on it and mine does not. Mine takes a good 10 minutes longer to update. The difference? She has about 4 of 16 GB used and I have about 12 of 16 GB used. I have mostly songs, but also about 1 GB of eBooks/pdfs on mine too.

23. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

Thats strange. Mine is the complete opposite. Have you filled up most of the space on your iPhone?

24. iFerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I show 2.49 GB free of 7.08 capacity in iTunes. This is on an 8 GB 3G iPhone. I don't think that means I've filled up most of the space. I show 471.1 MB of apps.

25. GSA190 macrumors member

GSA190

Yea that shouldn't be the reason for the slow back up.

Version of iTunes?