Have smart phones replaced DSLRs?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I personally dont think a smartphone can replace a DSLR. With a smartphone you cannot choose what is in focus, you cannot take great night shots, you are limited by the lens ect.

What do you guys think?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
No. They have pretty much replaced point and shoot cameras though.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If you know anything about DSLRs then you'd realize that is not the case.
sensor size, lens selection, lens quality, flash (the onboard flash on camera phones is pretty weak) all of which heavily favor DSLRs.

The camera industry is under assault from the phone sector but only for point and shoots. The higher end stuff out performs phone cameras by quite a bit.

Comment

ohbrilliance

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
For some situations, yes. When the light is good, you can capture some real keepers on an iPhone, whereas in the past, you'd need to carry your dedicated camera to get decent shots. I'm not saying the shots will be as good as those from a DSLR, and certainly not for professional use, but often the trade off between quality and convenience gives a smart phone the edge.

Edit: I should qualify, that my dedicated camera is a Nikon D300, and I am well aware of the differences in characteristics between cameras.

Comment

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
I personally dont think a smartphone can replace a DSLR. With a smartphone you cannot choose what is in focus, you cannot take great night shots, you are limited by the lens ect.

What do you guys think?
Absolutely not. Ive got an old 5D.

You can choose what is in focus.

However, in many many situations, a smartphone is adequate for the job. Ive stopped traveling with my DSLR due to feeling like a boat anchor around my neck. Im on vacation to relax and enjoy, and just don't like the baggage. Goal is collect memories and to share experiences.

You have to be meticulous and play off the characteristics of the small iPhone sensor. Ive gotten plenty of incredibly crisp 16x20" prints from iPhone shots. Many, not so great, but acceptable for keeping memories. And yet others... I skip entirely. I see a scene... And go nope, not worth even trying and move on.

If I was getting paid, and my reputation and bills depended on it, you bet I'd lug that 5D or better around.

Comment

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
DSLR cameras also have interchangeable lenses.

Question for you?

Has posting inane questions on the internet replaced critical thinking?
Correction micro four thirds cameras*

Comment

iJohnHenry

macrumors P6
Mar 22, 2008
On tenterhooks
True photographers will never give up the choices they have with DSLR's, for the severe limitations of smart phone cameras.

Nope, not going to happen.

</end thread>

Comment

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
True photographers will never give up the choices they have with DSLR's, for the severe limitations of smart phone cameras.

Nope, not going to happen.

</end thread>
First off welcome back iJH.:D

DSLR's are mainly use by real photographers, phone cameras not so much. So to answer no never in a million years.

Comment

macquariumguy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Sarasota FL
No, they haven't replaced anything. While they're much improved, the phone camera remains the last resort to use when there's nothing else available.

Comment

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
People these days have become far too obsessed about their cell phone cams, ill never understand the hype. I use mine maybe once a month if that, and its only when I need to get a screen shot of something at that time. But im not like others and go crazy with it in public. You look hideous.

Comment

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
No, they haven't replaced anything. While they're much improved, the phone camera remains the last resort to use when there's nothing else available.
Actually that's not the case as the numbers bear out a grim picture for P&S cameras,

It's no surprise to see mass-market point and shoot cameras bearing the brunt of the decline. In volume terms they dominate the market, and sales are falling fast - not helped by the rapid rise of the smartphone as the camera of choice for casual snapshooters.
Linky

Comment

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Quite happy with my DSLR thanks. Can't imagine ever buying a point & shoot again though. My iPhone has replaced that.

The convenience of a camera phone is why people love them. Most of my iPhone shots are work type things (taking a picture of a damaged delivery or whatever).
Either that or when I'm out in the pub and had a lot to drink (which is hardly ever at this time of the year:D).

Comment

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
I actually see more DSLR's around now than in the old days. In my experience 20 years ago etc it used to be rare for someone to turn up at a wedding with an OM2 etc. Most people used the (then) newly developed film point and shoots.

A relative of mine used to work for Pentax UK in the later 80's and early 90's. Back they were all pretty depressed about the SLR market as they all conceded that the little point and shoot cameras they had developed themselves killed their own lucrative market for SLR system cameras.

Funny how things turn out.

Comment

davidinva

macrumors 6502a
No. They have pretty much replaced point and shoot cameras though.
This seems to be the case. I sometimes teach an introduction to digital photography class and recently, half of the class (10 out of 20) used their camera phones exclusively. Have to revise my presentation. I traded my DSLR for a super zoom as I got tired of carrying the camera and extra zoom lens. I do carry a point and shoot with me at all times and prefer that to the phone, but the phone camera is much handier.

Comment

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
DSLR cameras also have interchangeable lenses.

Question for you?

Has posting inane questions on the internet replaced critical thinking?
Interchangeable Lens Camera, or ILC, is one of the numerous terms used to refer to the mirrorless systems that have been slowly creeping onto the market. (although the industry itself seems to have finally settled on "compact system camera")

Last edited:
Comment

xdhd350

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2010
Let's not forget that in the last year or so, a Chicago newpaper fired all the photog staff and issued iPhones to their reporters to get pictures with.

Do I agree with that move? Absolutely not!

It is however, a sign of the times. I've taken some really decent shots with my 5s, but I also know the physics of light and sensors on many different types of cameras, both still and video. The camera phone sensor, small as it may be, is benefitting in some ways just as full frame 35mm camera sensors are. Namely, increased light sensitivity. Whereas you can get practically noise free shots with hight end DSLRs in situations that would have required flash in decades past, you also get better shots with the lowly phone camera. In good light, you can get some nice iPhone shots, and if you frame it properly, can get some shallow depth of field.

So there are a few limited examples of iPhone and iPad being used in professional situations, but it's due to the photographer/videographer knowing the limitations and how to work around them to best advantage as any good artist does with their choice of medium.

Comment

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Let's not forget that in the last year or so, a Chicago newpaper fired all the photog staff and issued iPhones to their reporters to get pictures with. ...
In addition to using reporters w/iPhones, the newspaper also relies on the services of freelance photographers, many of whom (I'm assume) would be using DSLRs.

Comment