Have the new batches resolved the loose power button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stinger123, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Stinger123 macrumors member

Don't hear people complain so much about it anymore.

Every store I go to have the problem with their displayed phones.

Some store managers claim that it's not a defect, but just a new design.
    Others claim that Apple is aware of the problem and it will be fixed in the next batches.

Did anyone here get a 100% silent phone - and if so, do you know the batch?

Do you think Apple will make a statement on this, a silent fix, or nothing will change?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrNtqp00JMc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6vZGydp09c

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5355229?start=135&tstart=0

2. joeluken macrumors member

I've encountered a couple of 5S that don't have the power button rattle unfortunately they belong to other people.

My week 39 had the issue and was replaced with a week 42 that had the same rattle issue. I seem to recall mention of a week 43 also exhibiting the issue.

How hard can it be to fix this issue at manufacturer ?

3. Stinger123 thread starter macrumors member

It's impossible until Apple actually admits it's a defect.

As far as we know they could not even be aware of the problem yet.

Remember to give Apple feedback on their feedback site.

4. joeluken macrumors member

Already did for each unit using online product feedback and over the phone. :)

5. WSFrazier macrumors regular

6. schizbomb macrumors 6502

I am so glad I did not return my phone for the gyro/accelerometer issue because my phone does not have this rattle, does not have an interlacing screen, has none of these afflictions.

I feel for you guys, hope you get a replacement that is fixed.

7. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Apple would never admit that something like this is a defect. 99% of the people are not conccerned or bothered with a loose power button. I suspect that Apple will do nothing to adjust their tollerances as they see nothing wrong.

8. gCloud macrumors 6502a

I had a week 41 that did not have it, then a week 42 and a week 43 that did have it. It's a lottery and the odds are not good.

9. murano macrumors member

I am sending mine back today. Giving it a month to order again. Its a gamble. We''ll see how it pays off.
    But boy, the gold 5S is a beauty specially the back side ;-).
    I am sure many of us do take a minute out and admire it, hold it against the light etc etc.

10. joeluken macrumors member

Same here.

Apple appear happy to keep sending out new phone and having them returned used due to rattles.

11. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I think if y'all would use the phone instead of holdin it against a stethoscope and shaking it you would realize its not a big deal.

12. WSFrazier macrumors regular

Not really.

It's pretty bad when the phone is on vibrate, and is actually louder than the notification sound because of the button rattle is so high pitched and bad.

13. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

Both my Iphone 5 and Iphone 5s had a loose power button.. both work fine.

14. mazer75 macrumors newbie

How do you figure out what week your phone was built?

My power button is loose, but it hasn't bother me much yet. Everything else with my phone is perfect (no dust under screen or camera lens, great battery) so I won't return it for the button.

15. gCloud, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

gCloud macrumors 6502a

Agreed, i got a replacement for this issue, it had the exact same rattle (not more not less) and had the added bonus of yellow tint and interlace issues too. The replacement was different factory even.
    I guess the options are:
    1- keep getting replacements till you get a good one (they exist I had one but it had other issues)
    2- return for a refund
    3- live with it.

As I have lost my iphone 5 in August, my previous android and winphone experiences sucked, find the replacement game daraining, use airplay a lot, and have gotten very used to touchid (been using a 5s or another since launch day), I will be taking option 3. I have put a small bit of insulation tape on the button and stuck it in a leather case and can't hear it in my voice memos anymore. A bandaid fix for my brand new £744 purchase that's about $1200 to you.

16. AlexSykes macrumors member

My Week 43 has the issue, but I can live with it.

I forget about it unless I really try to shake the device, it sometimes becomes apparent on occasion when the vibrate goes off and the phone is on a desk with no input, but I'll live with it since the screen is perfect and the phone is absolutely beautiful!

17. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

My camera rattles like a biatch on my gold 5s :cool:

18. mazer75 macrumors newbie

Is there any correlation between loose buttons and build factory or week?

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My power button doesn't rattle on my week 42 space gray model.

20. wxman2003, Nov 8, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013

wxman2003 Suspended

Agreed. It's not a defect. The phone works as intended with or without a rattle. People shaking their phones to hear a rattle and then say it bothers them, makes me laugh. Why are people shaking their phones? So it rattles a bit on vibrate. How is that such a terrible problem? And those folks in the videos, they also made me laugh. Yea, I take videos and photos like that. I always make sure I shake the camera when I do videos or photography. :rolleyes: And when I bored, I like to tap my phone for fun. :rolleyes:

21. cynics macrumors G3

It's a problem when you have your phone set to silent (vibrate) and people on the opposite side of a conference table look at you when it goes off.

You think a phone being heard throughout a room when it's set to silent is fine and that's fine. Other people have higher standards, which I think is fine too considering the price tag on an iPhone.

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Everything about a loose power button has been fixed since the first day the phone was sold.

----------

I don't believe what others are hearing is the rattle of the power button all the way to the other side of the conference table ;)

23. WSFrazier macrumors regular

You can believe what you want, but my rattle when the phone is on vibrate, is louder than the phone's sound on normal/medium volume.

24. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

This. I noticed when I got mine that the power button was a bit loose but I didn't shake it like others lol. I kept it as is and haven't had a problem, if it was a defect there would be issues with it working.

25. jehartley macrumors member

It's real simple. I shake my phone, the sleep/wake button rattles. I run my finger gently over the sleep/wake button, it rattles. I hold the sleep/wake button tight with my finger and shake the phone, no rattle whatsoever.

It is a real issue. Period. You choosing not to believe so, doesn't make it any less true.

----------

Then why does it not do it on all phones? A defect is not just a non-functioning part. Loose parts that still function are still defects when it is an issue that doesn't affect all phones.

i don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand.