Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You can believe what you want, but my rattle when the phone is on vibrate, is louder than the phone's sound on normal/medium volume.
so what, it doesn't apply to saying the rattle that is hear all the way across the table is from the power button.

It's real simple. I shake my phone, the sleep/wake button rattles. I run my finger gently over the sleep/wake button, it rattles. I hold the sleep/wake button tight with my finger and shake the phone, no rattle whatsoever.

It is a real issue. Period. You choosing not to believe so, doesn't make it any less true..

Sure, it rattles if you hear carefully, but I disagree that is an issue. Period.

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
My problem with the loose sleep button is that the volume buttons are rock solid.

And a coworker has a 5s with a rock solid sleep button. So the argument that the loose button was purposely designed is crap.

Khorn

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2013
Germany
The real problem is, have you tried to record a video and move around. That clicking noise is ruining every record.

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
My 2.5 year old 4s is as solid as a rock with no rattles so wouldn't expect a brand new 5s to have any rattles either. I would not accept this either for such a premium product. This is no cheap Android handset folks! Theres no reason why it cant be rectified and im sure Apple will do something about it in coming weeks. Im holding back on a 5s purchase until any issues are figured out. Its the same with everything that is a new model... WAIT! ...give it a couple of months!

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
The 5S that I bought today is a week 44 model. That means it was made between 28th October - 3rd November.

The power button can be moved a little but when turning the screen on/off (normal use) it doesn't feel loose and gives a nice satisfying click. If I shake the phone real hard it (sometimes) makes a noise.

So, if you get a 5S with the same build quality as mine then the only way you'd ever hear the button make a noise is if you go out of your way to try make it happen.

gCloud

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
United Federation of Planets
My 2.5 year old 4s is as solid as a rock with no rattles so wouldn't expect a brand new 5s to have any rattles either. I would not accept this either for such a premium product. This is no cheap Android handset folks! Theres no reason why it cant be rectified and im sure Apple will do something about it in coming weeks. Im holding back on a 5s purchase until any issues are figured out. Its the same with everything that is a new model... WAIT! ...give it a couple of months!

It's been a couple of months.

mazer75

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2010
The 5S that I bought today is a week 44 model. That means it was made between 28th October - 3rd November.

The power button can be moved a little but when turning the screen on/off (normal use) it doesn't feel loose and gives a nice satisfying click. If I shake the phone real hard it (sometimes) makes a noise.

So, if you get a 5S with the same build quality as mine then the only way you'd ever hear the button make a noise is if you go out of your way to try make it happen.

That's good news. Do you mind telling us what the first two digits of your serial number are?

rich32gb5s

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Berkshire
Then why does it not do it on all phones? A defect is not just a non-functioning part. Loose parts that still function are still defects when it is an issue that doesn't affect all phones.

i don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand

Agreed!

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I'm have really noticeable rattling of the power button. It's really annoying every time the phone vibrates, or when I put it down on a desk. I wouldn't usually be so bothered but considering the luck some others have had (and the fact I paid almost $1000 for the phone!) I'm considering an exchange.

Can someone tell me how the exchange process works (e.g., do I need to bring the box, some sort of personal identification, do I need a Genius appointment, etc.)? I don't have experience with this, so any help would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.