Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The only thing that compels me to buy this machine is the retina. But, I ask, in practice, will a 12" retina allows me to open a bigger spreadsheet, AND ABLE to read without squinting? say compared to the 13" Air?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Why would the reviews change my mind?

The problem is people are expecting the wrong things from this computer. It's a basic computer designed to be ultra portable. The only other computer that competes is the Macbook Air... and when you look at a retina screen next to a non-retina, it'll blow your mind. You'll never be able to go back to your air again.

I come up for air after using the Air after using a Retina display. Anyway, I agree. This isn't like the Apple Watch or some other new product. Yes, it's a first-generation product, but Apple has been making Macs for a long time now and have it down to a science. I think some people were just worried about performance or how the keyboard would be.

----------

The only thing that compels me to buy this machine is the retina. But, I ask, in practice, will a 12" retina allows me to open a bigger spreadsheet, AND ABLE to read without squinting? say compared to the 13" Air?

Well you can scale resolutions to match the screen real estate of the 13" Air, so yeah.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

Yes, it will, based on the resolutions it is capable of. However, whether you will need to squint depends on your eyes.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

It's like saying "why upgrade to an iPhone 5 or 6 when I already have a iPhone 4S?" ... once you see the retina screen, your question will be answered.

Plus, using a macbook air I feel like its 2001 with the horrid resolution and only being able to view one browser window on the screen. horrid.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
No,the problem is it run's like a 2011 Mac Book Air,but way hotter! (and this was testing the 1.1...have to wonder about the heat from the 1.3!)

2015-MacBook-2.001-980x720.png

No, chrome is a known resource hog. It is a disaster for performance for any machine.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I did, i totally went 360 degrees in two days.

I get the WHOLE retina hype. I had a MBPR a little while back, beautiful screen no question. I ended up getting rid of it because i wasn't using it much and my iPad Air i used for basic tasks around the house. I soon missed the physical keyboard and trackpad, the iPad just made my big hands cramp after use after a while. All that tip tapping...:mad:

I picked up a MBA yesterday for a good deal. A Maxed out mid 2011 with 105 battery cycles for $499 i7 with 4GB RAM 256GB SSD, PERFECT for my needs.. Its taking some training to get used to the screen. But once calibrated its fairly good. I sort of compare it to looking at the MBPR after a few beers LMAO. I just can't justify myself going out and spending the extra $800 plus on the MBR anymore. I DID originally plan to get one day one. But i just use it around my house, and plug my MBA into my 23" monitor while I'm playing on my Xbox One, which makes it 1080p the MBA with a physical keyboard/mouse. I would be going ass backwards if i plugged the 12" macbook "RETINA" into a 1080p monitor, ALONG with needing a $80 dongle.

So yes i did, and the $800 plus I'm saving. I think i will treat myself to a 42mm Apple Watch Sport, all black please :D. And at LEAST people will get to see what i spent my hard earned money on. Compared to nobody would eve see my MBR because it would never leave my house. ;)

Ill be waiting on the 2nd gen however, and see what that brings. Ill be ready

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
No. As much as I find the new MacBook to be stunning, I was never going to buy one. $1299 for what is basically Apple's version of a Chromebook is a no-go in my opinion. You can get a rMBP for the same price, which is a much better overall machine.

I can see myself picking up the next version if USB-C takes off in the next year and they add a second port, as well as beef up the processor.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA

I had a 13" MBA. Did the little calibration thing and I loved the display. Sold it for a retina MBP 15. Retina was fantastic but I wanted thinner and lighter after a few months. Had a new 13" Air shipped from Apple. And I thought "I liked this display??". I may have had a bad sample too but that looked awful next to the retina. Back it went and I waited for the retina air. I was dreaming of a retina 13 Air with an i5. Talk about THE ultimate notebook for me!. But the rMB is what we have now. I do want to downsize from the 15" and I want to like it over an 13" rMBP but I don't know.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I had a 13" MBA. Did the little calibration thing and I loved the display. Sold it for a retina MBP 15. Retina was fantastic but I wanted thinner and lighter after a few months. Had a new 13" Air shipped from Apple. And I thought "I liked this display??". I may have had a bad sample too but that looked awful next to the retina. Back it went and I waited for the retina air. I was dreaming of a retina 13 Air with an i5. Talk about THE ultimate notebook for me!. But the rMB is what we have now. I do want to downsize from the 15" and I want to like it over an 13" rMBP but I don't know.

I picked up a MBA 13" yesterday. Did the pro calibration and made it literally night and day difference. Now i no longer have my 13" MBPR next to me anymore to compare. But its good enough. The calibration greatly fixed the contrast. And gave it the "warm" colors i remember from the MBPR.

The major difference i see is with the MBA you need more lid adjusting how your sitting because of the non IPS. But not big deal, pull or push it takes a second.

I originally was getting the MBR, but i ultimately and i think with smart thinking changed my mind. Lets see what 2nd gen brings. Until than, chug along little 13" MBA. :cool:

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Unfortunately, The Verge always does this. They used a RAM-heavy web browser and complained that it's too slow. With their Apple Watch review, they did something similar and complained.

No they didn't - did you even watch that video?

The Apple Watch doesn't run apps natively at this time, and requires data from an iPhone first - which is sometimes slow and lags.

Apple is suppose to allow native apps in the future - but it's not happened yet.

Was the Verge really suppose to gloss over that, and pretend it didn't happen just because *some day* apple will allow apps to run natively?

Anyway - Chrome has sucked on macs for awhile.

zOne31

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
I had no intention of getting this version but a couple years down the road, I will look into it. Mostly, I'm looking to upgrade from my current MBA to a laptop with a Retina Display, whether that be the Macbook, MBP, or if they make a rMBA version. To me, this is a first generation device, mostly due to its price and introduction of USB-C.

Can't wait to check it out in person though. The device looks so sleek.:)

totten76

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
I was on the edge of wanting this laptop. This and the Watch actually, and just the first-generation-ness of both products have shifted me away.

EatTheApple

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
I got a little worried when the verge said that it was difficult to use 10 browser tabs...I usually use about 15-20 :/

and the overheating...and they all said that the battery was about 8 hours opposed to 9...

So I dont really know about this anymore...none the less Im going to try it and return it if it doesn't work out

iDave

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2003
purchase confirmed

The reviews have only confirmed that the new MacBook is exactly what I've been wanting. Those who don't like it for one reason or another (perfectly understandable) should be looking at other products instead.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
No. They just confirmed that I will stay away from the 1.1. I'll get the 1.2 if it's available for pick-up in store, otherwise the 1.3/256.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No. They just confirmed that I will stay away from the 1.1. I'll get the 1.2 if it's available for pick-up in store, otherwise the 1.3/256.

I was originally thinking about either the 1.1/256 or 1.3/256. Seeing the pricing has made me think that the 1.2/512 might actually be the sweet spot on the bang:buck scale.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I got a little worried when the verge said that it was difficult to use 10 browser tabs...I usually use about 15-20 :/

and the overheating...and they all said that the battery was about 8 hours opposed to 9...

So I dont really know about this anymore...none the less Im going to try it and return it if it doesn't work out

15-20 huh ;)..... Dem "Private Tabs" :p

dexterbell

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2015
I didn't get that impression from the reviews. It tested better than I expected. Users were able to run Logic and other more intensive programs, too, albeit with exporting and whatnot being slower, as expected. It's basically like an entry level Air from the last year or two.

Maybe we read different reviews? As stated from reviewers below, it doesn't play nice with Photoshop, games or video editing. As I said, its a machine for web browsing, email, documents and streaming videos. Shouldn't surprise anyone.

"Basically, if you do anything that’s going to really tax the processor, this laptop probably isn't going to cut it for you. In that sense it's actually kind of like a Chromebook. It's fast enough for 70 percent of what I do, but a little slower than what I'm used to. For about 20 percent of what I do — mostly photo editing — it works but requires patience. But it's the last 10 percent that's hard: video editing, really big iPhoto libraries, basically anything processor-intensive can get rough."

"Can this do Photoshop CC 2014? Well, it can, but you're better off running something like Acorn. I also wouldn't want to do any serious video or audio editing on the new MacBook."

"With Intel HD 5300 graphics (as opposed to HD 6000 on the latest MacBook Air), the new MacBook only reached an average of 21 frames per second in the six-year-old Batman: Arkham Asylum, and that was with medium detail, anti-aliasing disabled and the resolution fixed at the default 1,440 x 900 (as opposed to the max option of 2,560 x 1,600). In other words, it struggled even with moderate settings in an aging game. As I discovered, too, playing games causes the bottom side of the laptop to get hot, especially back toward the hinge."

"For those who primarily use their devices for watching video, browsing the web, using the new Photos app for organizing their picture library and other lighter tasks, performance absolutely exceeds the mark."

Mr. Buzzcut

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2011
Ohio
YES! As I said in another post,these two issue's are deal breakers for me...ill wait for rev B:

engadget: 1.1 Run's hot!

"At one point during my testing, I was typing this review in a Chrome browser tab while streaming music through the Spotify desktop app. I only had three browser tabs and three applications open, and yet the heat coming off the bottom side was so intense that at one point I could feel it through my pant legs"

What? Wow! It became so scorching hot that he / she could actually feel it, at one point. Now if the polyester started to melt you'd have something.

The biggest surprise was battery life. This is where it becomes hard to argue the thinness. So I'm supposed to be uncabled most of the time...give me all day battery life.

jonathanuy

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2009
The new thing that has stuck out to me from the reviews is battery life. It seems that unlike with previous Mac laptops, Apple's stated battery life might be a bit more than real world. We'll see how more reviews and experiences pan out. I was really hoping to use this like an iOS device (charge only at night).

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
The new thing that has stuck out to me from the reviews is battery life. It seems that unlike with previous Mac laptops, Apple's stated battery life might be a bit more than real world. We'll see how more reviews and experiences pan out. I was really hoping to use this like an iOS device (charge only at night).

Yeah, that's one thing I noticed...battery life from reviews is lower than Apple's stated numbers. We will all have to run our own tests though.

wickedwahine11

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2013

I agree. I didn't mind the processor and lack of ports but one review said 7 hours of battery life, and that is making me more hesitant. I figure I will go see the display models tomorrow and if the screen/weight are too attractive for me to resist then I will succumb. Otherwise I will probably stay with the Air.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
YES! As I said in another post,these two issue's are deal breakers for me...ill wait for rev B:

engadget: 1.1 Run's hot!

"At one point during my testing, I was typing this review in a Chrome browser tab while streaming music through the Spotify desktop app. I only had three browser tabs and three applications open, and yet the heat coming off the bottom side was so intense that at one point I could feel it through my pant legs"

theverge: Slow!

"Chrome has really become something of a resource hog for me lately. It’s not a problem most of the time, but load up enough tabs, and any computer will start to chug. On my MacBook Air, that happens at around 20 tabs. On the new MacBook, it’s about half that"

Is a coincidence they're both using garbage chrome? I don't see why any mac user wouldn't use safari.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I think the reviews are about what everyone who is realistic expected. It's a machine for web browsing, emails, documents, writing and streaming videos and that's about it.

No, it can pretty much do what any other machine can do, just not as fast. One review talked about how he was surprised how well it ran his pro apps like Logic and FCP and talked about replacing his MBP15 for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.