Have to run Windows for a couple of months

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mysings, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mysings macrumors newbie

I'll have to work with Solid Edge (CAD) for a couple of months. The problem is that the program only is available for Windows. I'm thinking about using Boot Camp.

What is the best (safe & cheap/free) way to get a Windows license? Windows 7 and later would work.
    I'm also wondering how easy it is to get rid of it all once I'm done. This is a project that ends in may and after that I want to remove Windows entirely.

Thanks.
    /Kevin

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. belvdr macrumors 603

You might check with your employer to see if they have available licenses.

4. Mikael H macrumors 6502

This. If you have to work with it for a couple of months, the cost of a Windows client license is pretty minimal in comparison.

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

See if the program you need to use will work with crossover for the Mac. It's a compatibility set of modules that allow many programs to run on the Mac. Test the trial version first to see if it'll work.

Google Crossover Mac, and you'll find the company to download it from. Perhaps the trial version/ free version will run long enough to get your task accomplished.

6. Huntn, Jan 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Do a google search in general for purchase opportunities. For Bootcamp, and me with a new Mac, I downloaded Windows 10 from Microsoft for free, but I have a continuing interest in Windows for gaming. You'll have to buy a Windows license. (I realized you mentioned Windows 7, see next paragraph.) I used my PC to downloaded Windows as an ISO file and put it on a thumb drive. I imagine this can be done on your Mac too. I purchased a copy of The Windows 10 license at bonanza.com for about $20 which was accepted without protest when registering. As far as I can tell, it's a legit site.

You'll also have to figure out which version of Bootcamp your computer runs, and which version of Windows is supported. Apple support article. Another possible drawback is that for Bootcamp, you have to partition your drive where parallels you don't?