Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
corywoolf said:
Steve Yzerman (and pretty much all the star players of the Wings back in '98),

:eek: Me = Jealous

Ive met several baseball players: John Smoltz, Terry Pendelton, Sid Bream, Orel Hersheiser, Brett Butler (been in his house before).

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado
OK, so I'm late to the party, but I'll jump in real quick and tell about my latest celebrity encounter.

I'm at Wal-Mart (of all places) and see someone whom I'm pretty sure is Scotty Nguyen (famous poker player). So I'm trying to get a closer look when he looks over to me and waves. OK, must be him then. So I go over to talk to him (he did wave at me after all), but I'm having a bad case of brain lock and cant think of his name. I walk up to him and say, "Johnny Chan?" (Johnny Chan is another famous Asian poker player).

He good naturedly goes crazy. "Johnny Chan!? Scotty Nguyen, baby! Scotty Nguyen! Johnny Chan is the past. Scotty Nguyen is the future, baby!"

He was pretty cool, but I felt like a dork. Scotty is one of my favorite players to watch on TV. I knew who he was, but.... oh well.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
FoxyKaye said:
* Stephen King (signed some books for me in college)
The only celebrity author I met was William Gibson who wrote Neuromancer. I was 12 or so. He was in my class reading from one of his books.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The closest celebrity I ever came into contact with was Pat Mastroianni who played Joey Jeremiah in the Canadian series, Degrassi Junior High. A TV drama series revolving around the lives of some pubescent school kids. It was the precursor to Beverly Hills 90210.

I sat on a couch next to him. Pretty big deal for me, as I grew up watching him. Most people won't know what the hell I'm talking about. :D

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Lacero said:
The only celebrity author I met was William Gibson who wrote Neuromancer. I was 12 or so. He was in my class reading from one of his books.
You shoulda put this in the "Make me jealous" thread... I'd LOVE to meet William Gibson. One of my absolute favorite authors... can't wait to read his next book (which won't come out soon enough).

apple2991

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lacero said:
The closest celebrity I ever came into contact with was Pat Mastroianni who played Joey Jeremiah in the Canadian series, Degrassi Junior High. A TV drama series revolving around the lives of some pubescent school kids. It was the precursor to Beverly Hills 90210.

I sat on a couch next to him. Pretty big deal for me, as I grew up watching him. Most people won't know what the hell I'm talking about. :D

DEGRASSI!!!! Do you watch The Next Generation?

After a concert in Asheville, North Carolina, alt-country musician Ryan Adams asked me if I would sell him any drugs for the road. I am not a drug dealer.

I was also hit on by his opening performer Rachel Yamagata.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
apple2991 said:
DEGRASSI!!!! Do you watch The Next Generation?
LoL. No. I am a bit too old for TNG. ;)

Unless you are talking about Star Trek: The Next Generation, then no, I am never too old for that. :D

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Hrm...

'Celebrity'? Define that.

I count Linus Torvals as a celebrity. I count Nelson Mandela as a celebrity. I count Stephen Hawking as a celebrity. I have been within 10 feet of each of those three.

For more 'conventional' celebrities, my stepson's best friend is some famous NHL goalie's cousin. (I don't remember who, I've met him a few times; but as I don't follow hockey, the name just isn't sicking.) That same friend has an uncle that is a sports commentator on ESPN2. (Ironically, this friend's parents are quite poor, yet have rich/famous relatives.)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
raggedjimmi said:
what a terrible title.

but anyways! I live next door to an ex-mayor. though of only a small town he is loved by everyone.
I always see Sean Wilson (Martin Platt from Coronation Street), I used to think he was cool until he turned into a drama queen. infact a whole load of coronation street actors live around here!
My mate has been engaged in pretty informal talks with Tina o' Brian (i think thats how you spell it!) again from corry! she plays Sarah Platt. He's doing a little drama and was just asking if she wouldn't mind being typecast.
I was on holiday with my family so many years ago in Conwy, Wales, and I saw them filming... you guessed it! Coronation Street. a special where Les and his family go on holiday to the "deepest darkest part of Wales"... so they filmed it in the north :rolleyes:

I see loads of hollyoaks, emmerdale and coronation street actors around Manchester.

Nora Batty sat behind us watching Paul Daniels at Oldham Colosseum theatre some years ago. I had a chat with Paul Daniels too. brilliant guy.
And saw Dave Spikey (of Phoenix Nights and Dead Man Weds fame) at the Colosseum too. we had an interesting chat. another down to earth brilliant guy.

BUT! I've met the Chuckle Brothers, Barry and Paul, loads of times. even at 19 i still consider them fantastic entertainers and all round friendly people.

John Lennon accidentally knocked into my dad when he was in Liverpool with my mum. that was funny.

A BIG EDIT! heh i forgot about this... but I was at my ex-girlfriends once (her mum runs a chinese chippy) and a short ginger guy walks in carrying a baby. I think absolutely nothing of it... i mean who would?! but Karen was whispering "its him!" "iiiitsss him!"... not getting it at all, he takes his fish n chips and makes his way towards the door, but its now shut so i open it for him and he says "ta!".
soon as the door shuts Karen says "THAT'S PAUL SCHOLES!"... "who?"... "you know! the big time footballer!" then I got uber excited, ran to the window and saw him getting into what can only be described as the most expensive car to grace a chippy carpark. it was funny. My parents have seen him in a different chippy just down the road too. and in Tescos. I bloody love down to earth celebrities! they're just so good. i mean even i dont go to Tesco! Sainsbury's is my vice. :cool:

If you don't mind could i ask you a few questions well actually i guess definitions?
What is/are: "chinese chippy", "a short ginger guy", "ta!", "uber", "Tescos", "Sainsbury's"

I don't mean to be rude i just have zero clue what any of these mean? I'm assuming Tescos and Sainsburys are fast food chains? But short ginger men, chippies, and ta I'm drawing a blank

L

Lau

iDM said:
If you don't mind could i ask you a few questions well actually i guess definitions?
What is/are: "chinese chippy", "a short ginger guy", "ta!", "uber", "Tescos", "Sainsbury's"

I don't mean to be rude i just have zero clue what any of these mean? I'm assuming Tescos and Sainsburys are fast food chains? But short ginger men, chippies, and ta I'm drawing a blank

Tescos - cheap supermarket
Sainsburys - less cheap supermarket than Tescos. (Jimmi is evidently a man who likes quality ;))
Short ginger man - a man of short stature blessed with red (auburn in the US :confused:?) hair
Chippy - where you get your chips! ;) A fish and chip (as in fries) shop. A British institution*.
Ta - Thanks!

* any of the above could be referred to as a British institution... :p

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Lau said:
Tescos - cheap supermarket
Sainsburys - less cheap supermarket than Tescos.
Short ginger man - a man of short stature blessed with red(auburn in the US :confused:?) hair
Chippy - where you get your chips! ;) A fish and chip (as in fries) shop. A British institution*.
Ta - Thanks!

* any of the above could be referred to as a British institution... :p

I knew i'd get a fast response from someone in the UK. I figured that chippy had something to do with fish and chips(which is the best) but i was a little thrown by the "Chinese" chippy. Anyway thanks for the definitions!

Short ginger man in U.S. College Kid Lingo=short dude with red hair

L

Lau

iDM said:
I knew i'd get a fast response from someone in the UK. I figured that chippy had something to do with fish and chips(which is the best) but i was a little thrown by the "Chinese" chippy. Anyway thanks for the definitions!

Sorry, yeah, the Chinese chippy thing. You get Chinese takeaways in the UK, but for those who don't like Chinese (or Indian, Thai etc.) there is usually "Omlette and chips" or "Chicken and chips" on the menu. Some places are more like fish and chip shops, but still serve some more 'exotic' ittems. These places generally serve very good chips. They're not like fish and chip chips, they're...other. But very good (if my drunken memory serves me right). ;)

Oh, and raggedjimmi may come on here and say I'm a southern wuss and don't know anything. ;)

iDM

macrumors 6502a
Lau said:
Sorry, yeah, the Chinese chippy thing. You get Chinese takeaways in the UK, but for those who don't like Chinese (or Indian, Thai etc.) there is usually "Omlette and chips" or "Chicken and chips" on the menu. Some places are more like fish and chip shops, but still serve some more 'exotic' ittems. These places generally serve very good chips. They're not like fish and chip chips, they're...other. But very good (if my drunken memory serves me right). ;)

Oh, and raggedjimmi may come on here and say I'm a southern wuss and don't know anything. ;)

In Europe I've been to Ireland, Paris, Belgium, and Amsterdam but the only place i recall ordering fish and chips( i don't recall hearing or seeing the name chippy no matter how much i rack my brain) was Ireland and Iceland. In Iceland at quite possibly the dirtiest restaurant i have been to, the fish and chips were 900 Kronas which if my memory serves me was about 15 USD=alot of money for fried fish and chips in a dingy restaurant.

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
raggedjimmi said:
BUT! I've met the Chuckle Brothers, Barry and Paul, loads of times. even at 19 i still consider them fantastic entertainers and all round friendly people.

wow so envious, that is up there with meeting people from neighbours!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
raggedjimmi said:
A BIG EDIT! heh i forgot about this... but I was at my ex-girlfriends once (her mum runs a chinese chippy) and a short ginger guy walks in carrying a baby. I think absolutely nothing of it... i mean who would?! but Karen was whispering "its him!" "iiiitsss him!"... not getting it at all, he takes his fish n chips and makes his way towards the door, but its now shut so i open it for him and he says "ta!". soon as the door shuts Karen says "THAT'S PAUL SCHOLES!"
Ah, that reminds me... in a similar vein, I once held the door of our local bank open for the former Aston Villa and (then) Hull City manager Brian Little. "Thanks, son" said Brian. "That's alright, Brian" I replied.

He resigned a fortnight later – I hope it wasn't something I said...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.