Have we heard anything on charging time?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DS3, Mar 11, 2012.

1. DS3 macrumors 6502a

We could be in for some long charges if the rate is the same with the much larger capacity.

Though I'm no technical expert on batteries so perhaps there is reason to believe it will be similar.

Thankfully my iPad rarely got below 50% anyway and I use it a lot.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I wonder if the new iPad will come with a more powerful charging brick to compansate

3. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Same 10 watt charger. It's a bigger battery than the MacBook Air 11", which requires a 45 Watt charger. I'm betting that this will take forever to charge, and will be nearly impossible with the iPhone charger which I used to carry for portability's sake.
    Screen Shot 2012-03-11 at 11.18.30 PM.png

4. SteveAbootman macrumors 6502a

SteveAbootman

I've gotten into a pretty good charging cycle with my iPad 1st gen. It's very rare that I have to charge anytime but overnight. The thing could take 7 hours to go from 0-100 and I'd be okay with it.

5. vega07 macrumors 65816

If the charge time is nearly doubled, that would be ridiculous. It already takes about 4-5 hours for 0-100% with the iPad 2.

6. big samm macrumors 65816

I know with my first gen ipad it takes 3 hours from 0 to 100%. Im surprised people are saying the ipad 2 takes 4 to 5 hours that seems a eternity!

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just plug it in every night before you go to bed and it will be 100% charged when you wake up.;) I have been doing this since iPad day one and have never had to worry about charging time.

----------

A larger wall wart won't equate to faster charging time since Lithium-ion's require control circuits that dictate the charging speed.

8. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I dont mind the 4-5 hr charge time but any long would be highly inconvenient

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Not a big deal. DO you people sleep?

Just put it on charge before you go to sleep. DONE!

10. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

I also find it very interesting.
    The battery has been increased 70% in size and we still get a 10W charger.
    I hope it doesn't mean we have to wait 70% longer for the iPad to charge. The iPad 2 - approximately 4 hours to charge; the new iPad - possibly 7 hours.
    Hmmm...

11. randystand macrumors 6502

Shocked that people don't naturally put it on charge when they go to bed. I put it on charge from about 3/4% to 100% overnight and then it lasts me 2-3 days depending on usage.

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Me too.

I guess some do not sleep:rolleyes:

13. homeboy macrumors 6502

I thought the same thing. This is a non-issue. I don't care what happens between when I plug it in at night until the moment I wake up and go to work. As long as the device is fully charged I'm happy.

14. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

People do sleep, but on occasions it might happen that one needs to take his/her iPad with him/her while the battery is low. It sounds more convenient if you can charge it within 3-4 hours rather than 7 hours.

15. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

Insomnia is *lots* of fun.

16. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

What is the Amp output on the current iPad charger? I think I'm going to put together a slightly more powerful charger (I'm into r/c trucks so I know a thing or two about custom chargers and soldering). Also does anyone know what type of battery the iPad has, is it lithium polymer?

17. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, it is.
    "Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery"

18. deeddawg macrumors 604

According to the text written on it, 2.1A at 5.1V

Amazing what you can learn from the Tech Specs, eh? :D
    http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

19. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

You can easily achieve the same charge times as the iPad2 using more cells than bigger singular cells. I am sure Apple used more smaller cells, when spanning a charge across multiple cells the charge time remains the same versus trying to charge a single or 2 massive cells.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What ^ he ^ said!

I think you people are getting into a panic before you even get your hands on the new iPad! Lets see what Apple gives us before we hook the battery directly into the power grid! I am betting Apple got it right!:apple:

21. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

To be fair I was looking at the specs on the store page where you can compare them and it doesn't say the battery type :eek:

But that is good to know. I'm tempted to solder an Apple dock connector to some banana plugs and charge it on my r/c charger at 4A. Could also do 5A at 7.4v.

22. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Let's indeed hope so. But you never know...

23. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

If they didn't mention it at the presentation, it hasn't been improved; expect larger charge times. You know they would've told us if it was a more efficient charger.

24. deeddawg macrumors 604

Might want to wait until you're sure Apple store have stock for replacements before you try this... :eek:

It will be interesting to see what the charge times are. With a 10 watt charger and a 42.5 watt hour battery, I'd guess you'd still see ~80% charge within four hours, then perhaps another three or four to top off. I'm NOT an expert by any means, just guessing. As I understand it, charging is not linear; if it takes five hours to achieve full charge, the majority of the charge is in the first chunk of that timeframe, with the top off taking a lot of the latter period.

Certainly if the charger remains the same 10W, the new iPad will need more time than the iPad2 if you're maxing out the charger.

Personally I'm not concerned; I've always just plugged it in before going to bed and found it fully charged when I woke up. So long as it will fully charge in that time, I'm good.

25. Julien, Mar 12, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2012

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Won't matter since lithium ion batteries charging ability is controlled by the onboard control circuits. No matter how much current you feed the iPad (and any lithium ion battery) it will only allow charging at a controlled rate for safety reasons.

Article