Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Immediately after Apple's "Peek performance" event on Tuesday in which it unveiled the Mac Studio and 27-inch Studio Display, Apple quietly discontinued the Intel-powered 27-inch iMac. This left some observers wondering whether we'll see a new larger iMac sooner or later, or if the existing 24-inch iMac is as big and as powerful as it gets for the foreseeable future.

iMac-27-Isolated-Feature-Blue.jpg

After unveiling the Mac Studio and Studio Display at Apple's spring event, John Ternus, SVP of hardware engineering, said that the Mac lineup's transition to Apple silicon was nearly complete, "with just one more product to go: Mac Pro."

The comment was interpreted by some to suggest that Apple sees the Mac Studio and Studio Display as natural replacements for the 27-inch iMac. Indeed, in conversations with MacRumors, Apple has suggested that existing 27-inch iMac owners looking to upgrade should consider its separately offered Studio products, while the 24-inch iMac is available for those still seeking an all-in-one experience.

And in what could be read as another nail in the coffin for Apple's 27-inch iMac, Apple also reportedly confirmed to Ars Technica this week that the machine has "reached end of life."

Despite these developments, not everyone has given up hope that Apple will unveil a larger iMac in future, though perhaps not as soon as rumors previously suggested. Over the past few months, persistent rumors from multiple sources have suggested that Apple is readying a bigger all-in-one desktop Mac.

Well-respected display analyst Ross Young last month said that an iMac Pro would launch as early as summer 2022. However, after Apple's reveal of the Mac Studio and 27-inch Studio Display on March 8, Young no longer believes that to be the case. Young explained that his sources were not aware of the separation between the iMac, Mac Studio, and Studio Display, which had added confusion to Apple's exact plans before this week's spring event.

The confusion apparently stemmed from the fact that the Studio Display features a webcam and built-in Apple silicon, making it appear in supply chains to be an iMac when it's not. Young now believes earlier rumors about an iMac Pro launching in June weren't referencing an actual iMac, but instead a Pro version of the Studio Display. Young now speculates that the 27-inch mini-LED panel Apple has in production could be a Studio Display Pro set to arrive in June, along with Apple's new Mac Pro.

Young's latest comments appear to corroborate information shared by Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who this week said that an "iMac Pro" would not launch until 2023. Well-connected Bloomberg journalist Mark Gurman this week also reiterated his expectation that an iMac Pro is still in the works.

Rumors suggest a refreshed larger-screened ‌iMac‌ could be similar in design to the 24-inch ‌iMac‌, the Pro Display XDR, and the Studio Display. It's said to feature black bezels, and if it does indeed look similar to the Pro Display XDR, bezel size could be much slimmer and it could perhaps have less of a bottom chin, while being offered in darker shades than the colors of the 24-inch iMac.

As for what could power a new all-in-one under the hood, Apple could opt to use the same M1 Pro and M1 Max chips that were introduced in the MacBook Pro, and Apple could perhaps also introduce one additional higher-end configuration for the machine.

Whether or not the 27-inch iMac rumors turn out to be accurate, users who can't wait that long and want a top-of-the-line, large-screened Mac have the option of pairing a $1,999 Mac Studio with a $1,599 Studio Display, although doing so will cost around twice as much as the cheapest 27-inch iMacs did.

Article Link: Have We Seen the Last of the 27-inch iMac?

Last edited:

MayaUser

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2021
yes the 27" !!! imac probably is not returning...but who said NO to an bigger 32" or something else imac/imac pro!?
Apple knows that the bigger imac made more money over decades than the smaller one...so i dont think apple put money R&D just for the 24"

nikaru

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Dont think so. An 27inch iMac with M1 Max would be essentially the same thing as Mac Studio with M1 Max and Apple Studio Display. Apple's messages is clear to me: If you want desktop M1 Max, you should buy Mac Studio. If you dont need it, go for M1 iMac. The iMac Pro was a necessary as the Mac Mini couldn't offer the level of performance many desktop users needed, and at the same time couldn't afford a Mac Pro. With Mac Studio they already fill that gap.

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
It's obviously still coming. People who think otherwise are completely out of touch. That 27-inch segment is way too big on both sides of the PC and Mac market to ignore.

More importantly, this whole integrated desktop form factor is what Apple does best. No one else can make an 11.5mm thin high performance computer.

The iMac itself is way too iconic for Apple. iMac is not dead. ?

Personally, I think the next time we will see an update on an iMac will be next year how many of the analysts suggested and of course, it will carry the M Apple Silicon Chip. However, The screen size needs to get bigger.

I would like Apple to please introduce Space Gray iMac. It will be an instant buy. ⚫️

Jumpinbeans

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2012
Apples point of view - why sell a 27" iMac for £2000 when i can sell the Box for £2000 then sell the keyboard and touchpad for £200 then a display for £1800.....

(prices are guesses as i can't view the pricing on the apple site as its restricted at the minute showing preorders opening in a few hours - the point is though, apple can get away with charging more and they will)

ZebedeeG

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2021
Well I'm glad that I didn't wait and bought a 24" M1 iMac to replace my old 27" last year.

My father on the other hand is going to be very disappointed, as his 2015 27" iMac is failing (fusion drive kaput!) and he likes the larger screen size for his photos. He's certainly not going to be in the market for a Mac Studio, though perhaps I may be able to bring him around to considering a Mac Mini with the studio display. All he wants is a large screen not insane processing power, and I know he'd much prefer an all-in-one.

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
We will probably see it next year, alongside a refreshed 24" iMac. So no M1 based 27", but I can see Apple adding the larger size later.

This happens before, where Apple added a larger sibling of a product later instead of during launch of the said product. Eg iphone Max, launched with the Xs instead of with the X. 16" MacBook Pro launched later.

ian87w

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Well I'm glad that I didn't wait and bought a 24" M1 iMac to replace my old 27" last year.

My father on the other hand is going to be very disappointed, as his 2015 27" iMac is failing (fusion drive kaput!) and he likes the larger screen size for his photos. He's certainly not going to be in the market for a Mac Studio, though perhaps I may be able to bring him around to considering a Mac Mini with the studio display. All he wants is a large screen not insane processing power, and I know he'd much prefer an all-in-one.
Many people wants larger screen, but not the bells and whistles. Apple knew that, and thus it's their strategy keeping larger sizes versions of their product as the premium lineup, forcing people to pay more than needed. Eg. No 15" MacBook air, so people wanting a larger laptop must get the expensive MacBook pro. Iphone pro max, ipad Pro, same story. :(

Patchwork

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
I don’t think we’ll see a 27” iMac any time soon as has been replaced by the Mac Studio and Studio Display. I don’t think you’d be able to fit the cooling for the M1 ultra behind the display anyway. As for larger displays Apple wants you to buy a Pro Display XDR, so I don’t think that’s something that will happen either. Also the Pro Display XDR is the only 32” display that matches the pixel density of the 27” Studio Display and 24” iMac. The only other large display I’m aware of with a high pixel density is the Dell 8k 32”, but that’s something like $4,000/£4,000, so you might as well pay slightly more and buy the Pro Display XDR as a Mac user for that price.

k27

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
I hope the end of the big all-in-one Macs is sealed. It's such a pointless form factor. Monitor and computer in one case is also bad for the environment.
Many disadvantages. And hardly any advantages (in my case, not a single advantage; I've never bought an iMac).

What's important is that Apple finally offers desktop Macs (beside Mac mini) without a forced monitor. Hopefully there will be a also better Mac mini.

JPack

macrumors G3
Mar 27, 2017
Apples point of view - why sell a 27" iMac for £2000 when i can sell the Box for £2000 then sell the keyboard and touchpad for £200 then a display for £1800.....

(prices are guesses as i can't view the pricing on the apple site as its restricted at the minute showing preorders opening in a few hours - the point is though, apple can get away with charging more and they will)

That’s like saying, why does MacBook Air exist if Apple can force everyone to buy $1,999 MacBook Pro. Why doesn’t Apple delete iPhone 13 and only offer 13 Pro?

Apple doesn’t have mind control and people have limited budgets. A lot of people also enjoy a sleek looking AIO computer.

k27

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2018
Europe
yes the 27" !!! imac probably is not returning...but who said NO to an bigger 32" or something else imac/imac pro!?
Apple knows that the bigger imac made more money over decades than the smaller one...so i dont think apple put money R&D just for the 24"
Whether this is really right?
Did people buy iMacs because they think iMacs are so great or because Apple didn't offer them anything else in this area?

For example, I didn't buy a desktop Mac because I don't like the iMac. It would even hinder me, since I have to be able to connect other computers to a monitor and switch back and forth between them.

Desktop Macs are now much more attractive at Apple. The Mac mini is good (despite some limitations). There is the Studio. And in the future, maybe an upgraded Mac mini.
From my standpoint, that's a clear improvement.

exmophie

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2019
A lot of the rumors and leaks about a future 27" iMac are really just mistaking the upcoming 27" 5K 120hz Mac-Pro-paired Display for an iMac because like the 27" Studio Display it most likely has a supporting CPU shipping inside it.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Personally I really hate iMac as a product. All-in-one computer is the worst of both worlds. It has to be thin it's incapable to handle the heat of desktop chips and/or graphics so it must do with some laptop parts. But it's not really portable either since it has 24" display or more, and you have to plug it in all the time? I don't know why anyone would pick an iMac over a true desktop, or a laptop.

I've been burned buying an 27" iMac once for various problems it had, I'm glad that Apple decides to keep display and Mac separate despite some of its usual quirks (i.e you need a Mac to use the Studio Display to its fullest potential), but it's a nice change of direction.

Berti10

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2012
At first I was little disappointed, but I just sold my 27“ Retina 2014, which was the first 5K one. The display was still great, but the computer in it was too slow for my needs. I would never buy again such an expensive iMac without Target-Display Mode. Detaching the Mac from the display is great in this price range.

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Yes it’s the end of the iMac Pro.

The iMac Pro is for more high performance orientated users.

So after 3 years when it starts to feel slow for what you want it to do - and maybe there’s new hardware codecs etc in the latest Max processors - what are you going to do with it? Sell it? Use it as a target display?

Whereas with the studio set up, the studio display is going to to be good for 5+ years easily. You just buy a new Mac mini or Mac studio.

Or of course you can buy / keep your own (cheaper) display and just buy the base unit. Way more flexible.

The plain iMac makes perfect sense. It’s for people who are going to do light productivity, web browsing maybe make a few video clips etc.

You can be sure that your all in one will enable you to do that for half a decade or more without it feeling slow. I mean my 2017 intel MBP does all of that now without breaking a sweat.

I just can’t see how the iMac Pro makes any sense in a world where the studio exists. The target market for it seems to be those who just like the idea of the iMac Pro for aesthetic reasons. The studio is simply a better investment.

lysingur

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
This is really a cost-saving measure. Combine Mac Mini and Mac Studio into one product category. It saves a little bit of money on R&D and parts. By replacing the 27" iMac, Apple is paving the way for larger monitors to be sold as an option with Mac Studio. In other words, one form factor is used for what is supposed to be three product categories.

They also make more money this way since all-in-one solutions tend to be cheaper.

The trend is having monitors larger than 27" and it just doesn't make sense to have an all-in-one iMac with a 32" screen. It's too heavy, for one, thus making it dangerous to mount on VESA monitor arms. It's also limiting since the all-in-one form factor doesn't really allow many upgrade options, which people who use 32" monitors tend to want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.