Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This happens to me quite a bit....I am trying to place the cursor in between words in a sentence and it highlights the word that I am trying to place the cursor in front of in pink and then deletes it. It's annoying

Willyb26

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
This happens to me quite a bit....I am trying to place the cursor in between words in a sentence and it highlights the word that I am trying to place the cursor in front of in pink and then deletes it. It's annoying

I know what your talking about! Happens to me ALOT.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
Annoying, yes.

Doesn't happen as often for me nowadays though. Depends on what I'm typing, if I'm creating new words or not.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
A single word?

No, I usually delete a whole paragraph by accident.

Don't ask me how, but it happens about once a day. Not a huge deal to me, though. Shake-to-undo is my personal savior.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I don't understand this issue? Could you give an example?

I just hold my finger down which brings up the magnifying glass, move it into place and release. Never fails to work.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Every day. Really annoying. I don't remember it being as big of a problem before iOS 5

Same here... It has only started happening to me recently, and it's quite annoying. I don't recall it ever doing that before, and I certainly haven't changed my typing habits in the past year, so I'm thinking it's something new in iOS 5.

Since it seems to be completely random and I only do it on accident, I honestly have no idea what that "feature" is even supposed to be doing.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I don't understand this issue? Could you give an example?

I just hold my finger down which brings up the magnifying glass, move it into place and release. Never fails to work.

If I write a word that the iPhone isn't familiar with, it gets underlined with red. Bringing up the magnifying glass, moving it into place and releasing it can sometimes make the entire word selected, and pop up a suggestion about the "correct" form of the word.

Because of this, starting to type deletes the entire word since it became selected even though I dropped the cursor in the correct place.

Very annoying since the suggestions are usually worthless, the behavior inconsistent and the dictionary seriously flawed for my language.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
If I write a word that the iPhone isn't familiar with, it gets underlined with red. Bringing up the magnifying glass, moving it into place and releasing it can sometimes make the entire word selected, and pop up a suggestion about the "correct" form of the word.

Because of this, starting to type deletes the entire word since it became selected even though I dropped the cursor in the correct place.

Very annoying since the suggestions are usually worthless, the behavior inconsistent and the dictionary seriously flawed for my language.

Ah right, I get it now.

It's never happened to me, but I get what you mean.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Is there a tweak for a keyboard with undo?

Last edited:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA

Bumping threads is subject to thread deletion.

FAQ/Forum Rules said:
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

As for this thread, yes, almost every time I try posting a tag on Twitter.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Sorry, I didn't realize bumping was forbidden. Why is that? Kind of silly and unfair, what if you happened to post when the board traffic was very low and/or no one happened to see your post?

And to answer, no I don't have Parkinson's. It happened when making normal smooth arm/hand movement. I've read other people who have experienced this additionally

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
And to answer, no I don't have Parkinson's. It happened when making normal smooth arm/hand movement. I've read other people who have experienced this additionally

So you are moving your arms while you type? :confused:
I usually don't do jumping jacks and/or cartwheels while typing a message. To each his own I guess. /sarcasm

----------

Sorry, I didn't realize bumping was forbidden. Why is that? Kind of silly and unfair, what if you happened to post when the board traffic was very low and/or no one happened to see your post?

I have gotten violations for this. I agree, it is silly. Just disguise your bump with a sentence from now on. That's what I do. I mean... never do... :cool:

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
No if I am texting someone while waiting for their response I am not holding my phone still watching. As long as the cursor is in place it can be activated.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

What is the point of the suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.