Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I don't understand how that could help users spell right

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
If I write a word that the iPhone isn't familiar with, it gets underlined with red. Bringing up the magnifying glass, moving it into place and releasing it can sometimes make the entire word selected, and pop up a suggestion about the "correct" form of the word.

Because of this, starting to type deletes the entire word since it became selected even though I dropped the cursor in the correct place.

Very annoying since the suggestions are usually worthless, the behavior inconsistent and the dictionary seriously flawed for my language.

Do Androids do this?

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I hate highlighting and placing the cursor in iOS, I think Windows Phone 7 does a better job.

I love the way WP handles text highlighting. Touching the word to highlight it is infinitely more convenient for me than the way iOS does it. I'm looking for a solution (via Cydia) to do this on my iPhone, but I haven't found one yet.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
So you are moving your arms while you type? :confused:
I usually don't do jumping jacks and/or cartwheels while typing a message. To each his own I guess. /sarcasm

Then why do they have "shake to undo killer"?

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
I love the way WP handles text highlighting. Touching the word to highlight it is infinitely more convenient for me than the way iOS does it. I'm looking for a solution (via Cydia) to do this on my iPhone, but I haven't found one yet.

How does WP handle it?

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
This really annoyed me as well for a long time. Still the magnifying glass annoyed me. One thing i love about WP8 is that when you want to place the cursor anywhere, you just press and hold like the iphone but the cursor floats above your finger and you drag it down and where you want it to go. I wanted this type of action for years and when i tried the 1520 I couldn't believe it had it...

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This really annoyed me as well for a long time. Still the magnifying glass annoyed me. One thing i love about WP8 is that when you want to place the cursor anywhere, you just press and hold like the iphone but the cursor floats above your finger and you drag it down and where you want it to go. I wanted this type of action for years and when i tried the 1520 I couldn't believe it had it...

I'll have to try it

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple really really need to implement the little pointer that Android has where you can drag it to edit wherever you want. I can't count the number of minutes I've wasted in my life trying to get the text cursor to move to where I want to edit text on my iphones.

I don't know why Apple is so slow in doing anything intuitive with the keyboard. Between lacking the text pointer and things like Swype, which is amazing, I wonder what's going on over there.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple really really need to implement the little pointer that Android has where you can drag it to edit wherever you want. I can't count the number of minutes I've wasted in my life trying to get the text cursor to move to where I want to edit text on my iphones.

I don't know why Apple is so slow in doing anything intuitive with the keyboard. Between lacking the text pointer and things like Swype, which is amazing, I wonder what's going on over there.
It's likely more that Apple thinks they don't actually need any of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.