Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
This is perfect.

Before he got to Starbucks?
[doublepost=1510713728][/doublepost]
I'm pretty sure everyone reading the original post imagined it like this:

tenor.gif

Before he got to Starbucks?

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I was at a restaurant and the manager asked if I had an iPhone X. I said yes and he proceeded to tell me a story about how his GF ordered one with out his permission, using his T-Mobile account. HAhAHa

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
I had one guy who I see at this archery place ask me. His 2nd question was “is it worth the $1000?” My response was “no, not if you have to ask.”

naturalstar

macrumors demi-goddess
Mar 9, 2012
This thread. I. Am. In. Tears!

Thank you for sharing your stories here, true or otherwise. I needed the laugh!

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Only a couple times so far. One was the day I got it and was setting it up in the mall where the Apple Store was. Another was after work yesterday.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
I guess I live in a great place where stupid people don't come up to people and ask them stupid questions about their phones. We have better things to do with our lives.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Nope not once. I live and work in NYC, people are not that easily impressed here and couldn’t care less about the phone a stranger is holding.

Reactions: nebo1ss

Zune55

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2015
happens to me quite often. It’s fantastic ! They come up to me very cautiously “ in excuse me but Is that the new iPhone X ? “ once I say yes they immediately geek out LOL. Such an awesome response. I show them the camera and it ALWAYS blows them away, I have a bunch of selfies with strangers and we have so much fun. A lot of them being gorgeous women is a bonus lol made some friends recently with a few of them and it’s thanks to this phone.

Other day I was at the dealership getting some work done to my car. A girl was there with her boyfriend. Same deal, she asked about my phone and I did the routine. Her boyfriend immediately took out his note 8 “ yeah my camera is Preety clear too “

I go:

“ yeah bro my camera doesn’t lag LOL ( I actually laughed ) “ as his had some delay while he moved it around and my X was nice and smooth. It’s clear samsung owners don’t notice that annoying delay/lag on their cameras. Oh well.

But anyways, how many times do you get approached while having your X out in public ?

What’s cool too is that 9/10 times it ends in “ I have to get it ! I thought it was the same thing ! “

This phone is awesome. Apple knows what they are doing.

Yes happened to me at McDonald’s, asked me whether it’s iphone X?

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I had people ask me when the 6 came out...but I think it was because it was noticably bigger.

The X looks a lot like a Samsung (ducks) when you're using it. So unless someone is paying close enough attention to notice that it's iOS, it doesn't get any attention.

The only time someone noticed is when I was using iPay. The cafeteria in the office accepts Apple Pay. The person in front of me used Touch ID and it was clearly different when I used Face ID. He asked to take a quick peek at it and what I thought.

No woman has noticed or been remotely impressed.

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Some people from work that work for me tease me for getting a new phone yearly. I don’t care, it’s my only splurge on myself.

Annoyingly, they always say ‘oh I’m gonna have to play with that later and check it out!’ No. You’re not going to ‘play’ with it lol.

And then there are the people who glance at it and knock it saying ‘oh it’s just a phone. I can spend my $1k better than that’ as they walk away with their designer purse and watch on. Funny.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I'd rather lie and say no it's not, I had to show my brother in law mine at weekend and I couldn't even be bothered explaining what it does to him, never mind a stranger in the street.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's just a phone like any other. I don't have anybody approaching me or asking me about it. For the majority, I'm sure somebody doesn't pay attention to what phone someone is even using in the general public.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I hope you said something like, "Sure. You can see it, but it'll cost you a large order of fries."
And a selfie, of course. Apparently gotta take a selfie with everyone who approaches you and fawns over you and your iPhone X. Because... reasons?

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
I am in the UK and was in a pub last weekend paying with Apple Pay. Without realising it the guy next to me had clocked it was an iPhone X and asked me what I thought of it and when I had got it. I said "yeah its been good so far" and the conversation faded out. I guess thats the difference between the UK and the US, people, in the UK are less likely to get hyped up, loudly exclaim how great it is for all to hear, and high five anyone who wants to high five lol.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Applefan4

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
Only once with an iPhone which was the 4. Some of us don't need a gadget to boost our ego. My phone is usually in my holster case.

About 70% I see in SoCal are iPhone users. Most live in $2M+ homes where I work and drive Mercedes. Would they even care? You will always find someone much poorer AND richer than you.

My parents make six figures. My mother collects $1000-$1500+ Louis Vuitton and Hermès handbags and sells them off years later even or profit. More lucrative than a mass-produced phone that depreciates in a few months.

She thinks it is stupid to buy a $1000+ phone. That's not her priority. Same with my Stepdad. Real estate and travel are. They would rather travel like 4-5x per year and go on cruises than spend a G on a phone.

Both either drive Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, or Lexus for nearly 30 years. They aren't rich either but they know what high end is. If you want to be cool, be yourself. Don't need a gadget to boost. That's pathetic. Most don't really care.

Phones are cool but not as cool as a big house, nice car, and big package down there. Some of us can attract women without a phone if you know what I mean. ;) Just be yourself or walk a cute dog. My dog, Charlie, is a better chick magnet than an iPhone will ever be.

What exactly is the point of your life story? You think people care and/or are impressed?

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah, the other night when I was at a comedy show at Birmingham Arena. Also, a woman next to me had the silver one so we compared to my SG. We agreed that silver outside of the case looked nice, but not so much inside a black case with the silver contrast at the bottom. Her husband preferred my SG to hers and thought it looked great in the black case. Very much a talking point, and even yesterday at a business meeting I had people commenting in it being the new X and looking very nice indeed. It's not what I bought it for, just a phone and used no different to my SE, but it does get attention at the moment.

I guess thats the difference between the UK and the US, people, in the UK are less likely to get hyped up, loudly exclaim how great it is for all to hear, and high five anyone who wants to high five lol.
I'm in the UK so that's not my experience.

sirenized

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
This must be an American thing surely?

British people are rude and generally don’t give a toss what phone you use. I’d find it pretty awkward if somebody I didn’t know started talking to me about my phone.

im in Boston, we don't do strangers. I did have a tourist ask me if they could see my phone....in the apple store... I told them no and pointed to the table two rows behind them and said "have at it"

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
The X looks a lot like a Samsung (ducks) when you're using it. So unless someone is paying close enough attention to notice that it's iOS, it doesn't get any attention.
No, it looks like an iPhone because you can clearly see the notch when using it... Still, you make a valid point that I agree with - in the future when all phones are pretty much bezelless and slabs of glass and metal, they will all look much of a muchness. Still, I buy my phones for me, and the OS, and iOS is what I'm used to and know my way around. I also find iOS apps are generally more polished than their Android equivalents. My used phones are also worth significantly more money than Android phones, so the total cost of ownership isn't as high as people think.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.