Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I’ve had a few watches over the years, but I’m not actually a watch wearer.

I do love my Apple Watch, but I’m in love with the SS & gold Santos De Cartier.

I’m on the verge of buying one, as I think it’s beautiful & is a very important watch: It was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?

Sheepish-Lord

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2021

I’m on the verge of buying one, as I think it’s beautiful & is a very important watch: It was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?
Because of my job, I can’t have electronic devices on me but time is important so I have watches including a Santos De Cartier. It wasn’t the first watch to ever be made but it was one of the first with a purpose so it does have a place in history. Beautiful watch.

I think smart watches look tacky and boring.

x5tuu

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2012
I have 12 mechanical watches (and a couple of dozen quartz too) that I rotate through.

The AW is a great tool but to me tbh I much prefer the feel and weight of a "proper" horological piece - each have their place and use though and one doesnt replace the other (IMO)

cubodado

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2022
Torino
I use Apple Watch for fitness and find useful its smart features. I am accustomed to it: if I want to see for example what the weather is like or the daylight times I usually look at it. Harder to find it on a mechanical watch.
I like to use one watch only, maybe it’s laziness, if I want to change I can change watch face or band. Only aspect I don’t like too much is to keep track of the charge and sometimes distracting notifications.

Marco Klobas

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2017
Italy
To be picky, I consider the Apple Watch an electronic wearable device.

It does carry – among other things – a watch function, it does have the word "watch" in its name and the offered features are called "complications" relating clearly with the classical watch world.

Still, it belongs to a different category, IMO. The strong focus to health/notifications/interaction with smartphone or internet related contents marks its own identity.

I use it on a daily basis and appreciate it. It didn't replaced my interest in regular mechanical/quartz watches, though.

Let alone the intrinsic value and longevity of a mechanical watch compared to an Apple Watch. I admit that it isn't replaced as quickly as I imagined – still, its obsolescence is incomparable with a proper mechanical counterpart.

Watch enthusiasts/aficionados usually don't forget mechanical watches. Some (only a few, actually) even wear both watches at the same time: an Apple Watch on one wrist and the regular watch on the other. Sure, an odd choice.

I guess the majority of them can't deny the convenience of Apple Watch and, at the same time, don't want to renounce to admire and relate to their mechanical watch which usually is a life-memento of important personal events/stories/people.

Others have replaced the regular watch with Apple Watch and keep their mechanical watch collection in a case/safe.

Maybe the Apple Watch will evolve to a smart bracelet or even disappear from wrists altogether. Who knows how the technology will evolve. In this case the wrists will be free again to wear watches for those who are interested in.

There's nothing wrong if you feel attracted to a Cartier watch. Regular watch industry is actually blooming. Even taking into account the unpleasant price speculations/bubbles and some market-related annoyances it's fascinating to observe how an apparently outdated compartment is so lively.

New watch references/independents/micro brands are continuously introduced and the interest is growing. Even among young generations – which is remarkable.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I have a pretty nice Victorinox watch that I sometimes wear. It's not dressy but it's nicer than having on the Apple Watch. But I do use the Apple Watch as my daily fitness tracker so I wear it most of the time.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I had a pretty large watch collection in years past, but it's down to two now: the first Rolex I ever bought and a Breitling that I just love the look of. I wear the AW almost exclusively now; there are various reasons for this. For the last 4-5 years I only wear mechanical on more dressy outings.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012

How about you?
I’m sorry but Santos De Cartier isn’t the first wrist watch ever made, not even the second. Breguet (1812), Patek Phillip (1868), Girard-Perregaux (1880’s), Omega (1892), Garstin Company (1893) all made wrist watches prior to the introduction to Santos De Cartier (1904).

Spindel

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2020
I actually had to go back to my mechanical watches for about a week this autumn because I sent in my AW6 for battery replacement (getting a new watch).

And I can tell you, while I have mechanical watches that I like and that are nice, I felt it really lacking in everything except looking nice. I felt really hampered having a watch that could only show time date (and in some cases weekday).

It's like arguing that doing spreadsheets with an abacus and paper is nicer just because you have this nice expensive reservoir pen. And while your pen is nice and your abacus is nice with its ivory pearls they are way less capable than your laptop.

Timster83

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
I’ve recently developed a desire for a nice Seiko watch. Nothing too fancy or expensive but something that looks smart and beautiful.

I haven’t bought one or even tried any on because I can’t answer the question: when would I actually wear it over the Apple Watch?

Quite disappointing tbh!

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
I've always owned a mechanical or digital watch of some sort, but when the Apple Watch S4 was released a few years back I figured "Why not?" and gave it a go. I'm a very active person due to my career and fitness regime, and so it was the fitness features of the AW that attracted me the most.

It was an interesting experiment.

I really enjoyed just how comfortable the AW is - it's lightweight, doesn't snag or pinch the skin, and the bands are nice. Integration with other Apple devices was seamless. The customisation options are excellent so you can really make it appear as you want it. All the features I wanted to primarily use, particularly the fitness ones, worked as advertised and better in some cases. And it goes without saying that on a purely technical level the device is a marvel, that the range of features can be miniaturised into such a small product is mind-boggling.

And yet I sold it!

I don't think AW is a poor product in any way, but I do believe that to get the most value from it you need to have clear use cases. I purchased it believing it would assist my workouts and job as a fitness trainer, but what I soon realised was that it didn't value because I had already reached my personal goals. Basic metrics such as the frequency, intensity, time and type of workouts - these are factors that I'm already happy with, and the watch didn't contribute to me getting more from my fitness. Unless you have difficulty maintaining a particular level of fitness or activity, you really don't benefit from knowing how far you walk each day or what your resting HR is.

This is where specific scenarios come in, since I realised that although it wasn't useful to me, there are plenty of athletes and unconditioned people out there that could benefit from this technology to track their progress. Likewise, people who are at risk of uncontrolled heart rates may benefit from the ECG, and the fall detection is clever for those at risk of blacking out or poor balance.

So once I ruled out the fitness features it then came to everything else, and this is where it toppled over for me. The device relays notifications from your iPhone/Mac or other services, yet I found this to become annoying very quickly. I realised that many of the notifications I was receiving, although helpful potentially later in the day or another time, weren't urgent, and so I started to turn them off. One by one. Until eventually I limited it to just pinging text messages and phone calls. And at that point I asked myself, "Why do I have a £400 device strapped to my wrist when the £1,000 device in my pocket is only a couple of seconds away?" Everything that the AW could do, the iPhone could do better in this regard. Even the time it would take to 'scribble' a message on the AW was far longer than had I just got my iPhone out, long-pressed on the notification to send a quick reply, and typed it out.

Obviously there will be little things I miss, like having a big clear stopwatch on my wrist, but at the same time it doesn't have the interest and effortless cool-factor of a traditional mechanical or digital watch. And it's just another device to charge each day, to keep updated, and to eventually upgrade with another model in the future.

Suffice to say, I purchased a G-SHOCK 2100 that is solar powered (with months of power reserve), automatic time, hard-as-nails, and it retails for just £120. Money well spent in my opinion, though when it comes to recommending the AW I would always consider the person's lifestyle carefully before jumping to a Yes.

Last edited:

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
I love the look and feel of a mechanical watch, some are like pieces of art but every time I go back to trying to wear one, I end up switching back to the Apple Watch due to the convenience. It does so much.

I usually end up feeling like “is that it?” When I wear a mechanical watch. Feels more like jewellery than anything else since smart watches came along

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I like my Apple Watch and couldn't wear one with less features and integration into my other Apple devices as that would just lead me to picking up my iPhone or iPad even more.

But I've really soured over the very limited aesthetics of both the UI and the chassis of Watch itself.

It's just all the same pretty much regardless of what watch face or band you chose.

Yes, I get that sales of the gold and ceramic Watches must have failed to meet Apple's expectations and has led them to be much more conservative in terms of offering distinct watch cases and bands.

But I really wish they'd offer variations on the shape of the chassis and more watch bands and watch faces that aren't so obviously "Apple Watch".

Obviously, it's any brand's wet dream to have a product that anyone can immediately recognise by name and as belonging to said brand.

But I really hate that every Apple Watch owner is running around with what's pretty much the exact same UI, chassis and bands on their wrists.

Wristwatches are just as much fashion and jewellery as they are utility. But with Apple Watch, Apple has effectively excised all the creativity and individuality that one could express through a wrist watch or armband/bracelet.

If Apple ever puts out a ring that tracks most of what Watch does then I'm definitely ditching my Apple Watch for the "Apple Ring" and going back to wearing "dumb" wrist watches.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Having had almost every Apple Watch including Ultra 2, I’m thinking of ditching Apple Watch.

Why? Email alerts are a bother. As for the fitness aspect, my own obsession with closing rings and challenges gets old fast.

Personally though I’d probably go back to Gshock. Seiko is definitely my favorite but I’d be worried of breaking it.

KeithBN

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2017

Point of order, that’s nowhere near being the first wrist watch!
It came out in 1911, whereas people say the world's first wristwatch was created by Abraham-Louis Breguet for Caroline Murat, Queen of Naples, in 1810, a century earlier!

As for going back to a mechanical wrist watch, I’d miss the other features of my Apple Watch too much.
A wristwatch merely tells the time (and sometimes the date).
My Apple Watch does that and so much more which I use on a daily basis.

For me, it’s a choice between having something on my wrist which just shows the time, or something in the same spot which offers a lot more functionality which I use on a daily basis.

I mean, if I wore a wristwatch I’d still need to wear my Apple Watch anyway 😃

Of course, different things work for different people, if you’d prefer a mechanical wristwatch instead then go for it - may it serve you well and who cares about what others think?

Reactions: Lyrics23

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
When you say "mechanical watch" do you mean true (non-electric) mechanical watches? I wear a quartz watch every day and have for years. Currently I wear a Citizen Eco-Drive which tends to run about 5 seconds a month fast. Would have a hard time adjusting (literally) to a true mechanical watch, as I think they tend to wander quite a bit more than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.