Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
I own 27 watches and not a single one of them are smart. They are mostly mechanical/automatic with a handful of solar powered ones. The closest I have to an Apple Watch is my new Casio G-Shock 5610 which synchs to the atomic clock every night. I never wanted an Apple Watch as it would largely be used only for timekeeping.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel

surferfb

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2007
Washington DC
I was a die hard Apple Watch guy, but fell in love with the Omega Speedmaster right before the pandemic. Ended up picking one up and now you couldn’t pay me to wear an Apple Watch instead - I’m a full blown mechanical watch guy who’s on the list for a Submariner, drooling over Langes, and picking up JLCs. Funny how life works.

Santos is a great watch. Go for it!

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
I’ve had a few watches over the years, but I’m not actually a watch wearer.

I do love my Apple Watch, but I’m in love with the SS & gold Santos De Cartier.

I’m on the verge of buying one, as I think it’s beautiful & is a very important watch: It was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?
Call me crazy. I own a Cartier X-Large roadster, a Rolex, an AP and a Patek. And I still wear my Ultra 95% of the time.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I ditched the Apple Watch back in 2018. My watch collection now includes an Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch, 7 Hamiltons, a couple of Marathons, a few Sternglas watches, a Laco, and a bunch of Casio G-SHOCKs. I enjoy these MUCH more than I ever did the Apple Watch -- I just want to know what time it is, not have something on my wrist constantly telling me things.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
I was a die hard Apple Watch guy, but fell in love with the Omega Speedmaster right before the pandemic. Ended up picking one up and now you couldn’t pay me to wear an Apple Watch instead - I’m a full blown mechanical watch guy who’s on the list for a Submariner, drooling over Langes, and picking up JLCs. Funny how life works.

Santos is a great watch. Go for it!
I’m so close, my friend!

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
Actually I will replace my last comment with the fact I still own one watch, a Casio F-91W. I go to places occasionally where you might not want to hang around with anything nicer or even get your phone out because it'll be gone and you'll have a couple of extra holes in a few milliseconds.

257Loner

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2022
And it's just another device to charge each day, to keep updated, and to eventually upgrade with another model in the future.

But I really hate that every Apple Watch owner is running around with what's pretty much the exact same UI, chassis and bands on their wrists.

Wristwatches are just as much fashion and jewellery as they are utility. But with Apple Watch, Apple has effectively excised all the creativity and individuality that one could express through a wrist watch or armband/bracelet.

These two responses sum it up for me. If I can’t find a style I like, and if I must charge the dumb thing every single night, then it’s just not worth the several hundred dollars.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I’ve recently developed a desire for a nice Seiko watch. Nothing too fancy or expensive but something that looks smart and beautiful.

I haven’t bought one or even tried any on because I can’t answer the question: when would I actually wear it over the Apple Watch?

Quite disappointing tbh!

When I bought my Seiko Kinetic in stainless many years ago, I thought it was the perfect watch: classy, reliable, durable... and as you state, not too fancy. But when I moved to the AW6, the Seiko went into a drawer and I have not touched it since. Disappointing, indeed.

The good news is I have enjoyed the Apple Watch immensely and it has been great for health tracking and trending. Assuming the next version has SpO2 functionality again, I'll probably upgrade and continue to leave the Seiko retired.

randomando

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2021
Essentially a battle between die hard anything-that's-not-a-smartwatch fans and regular smartwatch users. Somehow people want to pay thousands on thousands for a collection of watches that only have time keeping functionality. I would have to think it's purely for aesthetics given that it's usually expensive watches of specific brands. Somehow Apple's Vision Pro makes a stronger argument for functionality.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
It's interesting that you see it this way, because I see it the complete opposite way.

AW (or any equivalent) is a tool and a mechanical watch is just a toy/piece of jewelry.
AW is a mostly toy—something to fidget with because you feel lost if not connected with your electronics and reminders and notifications. A wrist watch is a single purpose convenience to aid you keep track of time. And it doesn’t bother you with a collection of needless reminders.

Not quite the same thing, but I often go home for lunch given I live near work. The other day when I went back to work I felt something was off and realized I had forgotten my phone. I called home (using the store’s phone) to check and found I had left my phone on the kitchen table. My mother asked me if I had to come home to get it wherein I replied, “No, I lived for forty years without a phone in my pocket so having to do without it for four hours isn’t going to bother me.”

If I can go for extended periods without my phone I sure as hell don’t need yet another device to keep me tethered to the phone.

Reactions: AlmightyKang

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010

I’m on the verge of buying one, as I think it’s beautiful & is a very important watch: It was the first wrist watch ever made.

How about you?
Since 2015, I’ve mostly worn an Apple Watch and am now on a Series 9 Silver Stainless model, which I pair with a Nomad steel band. However, I am keenly aware of the need for digital detox and so during the week I wear the Apple Watch until all Fitness rings are completed, then take it off in the evening and replace with my beloved Seiko Willard reissue to unwind (no pun invented).

Wearing the Apple Watch mostly for the fitness (I do love being able to check the weather, too) does make one feel enslaved to technology, however the health benefits so far are big enough of a draw for me to continue wearing it.

That said, if Apple ever does come out with a smart ring, I would be wearing that Seiko or my grandfather’s Omega much more often :)

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017

How about you?
I’m also not a watch wearer, so I buy neither and wear neither. Your question appears strange to me if you’re not a watch wearer.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
No. I’ve always worn watches, even while sleeping, but have no desire to go old school. My G-Shock and Citizen Eco Drive stay charged but I’ve taken the battery out of my Tag.

I find the additional “Watch+” benefits of the AW far too valuable. Even though I spend a fair bit of time with a basic plain solar face it’s nice to have those features all available.

Reactions: The Cockney Rebel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.