Have you dropped/almost dropped yet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 46Chromeboy, Jun 25, 2010.

1. 46Chromeboy macrumors newbie

Just interested in some of the results of what to expect as I had a "close call" today. Mine fell off the armrest of my recliner as I plopped down too hard. Luckily it hit my sandals that were on the floor and didn't get any damage.
    I had a Blackberry Bold before this and I think it was like 3 months in before I fumbled that one.
    BTW, those iPhone drop videos are so ridiculously unscientific that I really don't rely on them for what to expect.

2. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Dropped about 15% of my calls today....which (believe it or not) is actually much better than my previous 3GS which dropped 20-25% of all calls.

Houston + Texas Medical Center + AT&T = one huge salty wet theoretical thumb on the antenna of all iphones

3. 46Chromeboy thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds good. But I was talking about physically dropping the phone :D

4. fru macrumors member

5. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Haven't even been close yet. I've had all the previous iPhone's and only dropped one, so not too worried about this one.

I've even let a few people at a bar I frequent mess with it, some being complete strangers.

6. D3lta macrumors 6502a

It slipped out of my shorts at the gym as I was laying down to do an exercise. About a foot drop on carpet so I wasn't too worried. Probably gonna leave it in the car from now on, or lock my stuff in one of the lockers.

7. sfditty macrumors regular

Mine's fallen/dropped 3 times so far, in a little over 24 hours. No scratches yet that I'm aware of, but I haven't been looking for them under a spotlight and magnifying glass. These are 3 "real world" drops though, which are not always a 3 foot straight drop down onto concrete. FYI I've had all 4 iPhones, and never had a major or serious scratch on the viewable part of the screen.

8. mattroman246 macrumors 6502

mattroman246

Tossed it from about 4 feet on to a wood floor, no damage

9. No ice please macrumors 6502

Gosh, If I had an iPhone 4 I would have duck taped it to my hand for the first month.

But I've never even dropped my 3G.

10. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I dropped one in an apple store about a foot :eek:. It was fine, just as I expected.

11. awestruck macrumors regular

It slipped out of my shorts when I got out of the car into gravel the first day I had it. No noticeable damage; I'd have to tell you where it is to be able to see.

12. Swagfndr macrumors newbie

Mine has fallen off the arm of the chair onto sandals twice.
    But my real reason for this post is that I walked into the kitchen to show my wife her "new" 3Gs that she gets to use until the white ones come out. I had a 3Gs in on hand and the iP4 in the other, turn the corner and the 3Gs flew out of my hand. It hit the floor and the screen shattered!!! I felt so bad, i had to go out the next day and get it fixed. Luckily for me I found one of those places that can replace the screen for $70, much better than having to buy a $200 replacement from the Apple store.

13. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

I dropped mine when I was unboxing it. I was pulling the top half of the iphone box apart from the bottom half and the contents were like suctioned out when I did that and the phone dropped about 4 fee to a thin carpet on a concrete floor at work. No damage, been working like a champ.

14. phrint macrumors 6502

Dropped it twice in my car and it hit the cup holder area pretty hard. Not a scratch.

15. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

I have never dropped my ipod touch 2g, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, or iphone 4 - ever.

16. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Wow, right out of the box. That couldn't have been a good feeling.

17. jones.brian25 macrumors member

jones.brian25

slipped right out of my hand and i am not clumsy by any stretch. luckly it landed on carpet and was fine.

18. skycat561 macrumors newbie

your gonna cringe at this one...my friend picked his up at the store...and a hour later it ended up at the bottom of a pool :eek: .... he said is was on a table , it rang, he picked it up, then he bumped his arm on a chair, it hit the ground and bounced into the pool....

19. Nyse macrumors member

And here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qbWjaW25mQ&feature=youtube_gdata
    :D

20. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

wow. that sucks.

No drops yet on the iPhone 4 *knock on wood* The moment I took it out of the box and held it in my hands, I've made sure to gorilla grip it whenever I'm using it.

21. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Every time I almost drop something like this it is because brand new and I don't want it to leave my hands.

I end up opening doors and carrying stuff with it in my hand instead of my pocket because I don't want to let go of it.

22. nontechie99 macrumors member

It fell off the middle shelf of my bedside table - about a foot and a half onto a wood floor. On the back, there is either a deep scratch or a crack emanating from one of the grooves. It may have been there when I got it - I'll never know.

23. Wailord macrumors 6502

It fell about two feet onto the carpet. As it was in air, I was like FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, as I was too busy raging to remember it was falling onto carpet with a Bumper on. Obviously, it's fine.

24. Luminyx macrumors member

The closest I came to was when I was holding my iPhone and a new case for it in the same hand. I dropped the case and the iPhone was still pretty firm in my hand.

And there was another time earlier today where I was holding my phone and a bug flew in front of my face. I spazzed and got scared, which is dangerous for my phone.

25. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

This is my 4th iPhone and have never dropped any of them. Although, I have tossed them on my bed after getting home from work. I showed my iPhone 4 to 2 people at work today and they both pretended like they were about to drop them. NOT. FUNNY. :mad: