Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jweinraub

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2007
Sol III
I feel like the community I live in and people I deal with are fairly honest. There is a level trust.

If I go to the store and buy an organic cantaloupe, as far as I rememeber, it’s always been sweeter and an excellent texture (not too soft or mushy) compared to the less expensive ones.

When I go to Starbucks, they do my drink right. They don’t try to cut corners. They give me a great experience every time.

And if for whatever reason things weren’t perfect, they do whatever they can to make it right.
————————————————————-

Recently, I got duped into buying this cream that promised all these things for pain. It was truly over the top in its claims, it’s satisfaction guarantee, and reviews. Something truly magical.

I’m ASHAMED to admit I fell for it, and I feel awful. I feel really bad I fell for it. Makes me feel like I really am gullible for some things in life.

On the bright side, it wasn’t too expensive and I got a refund from the store (hopefully the manufacturer of this “snake oil” has to pay back the store), but that’s not the point.

I just feel bad that in my weak moments, in hoping for some magic, someone out there fooled me and sold me some.
Are you referring to this new transdermal HGH stuff that is making its way around facebook these days? Because I am seeing a LOT of people say how it does everything. But the person talking about it was rather vague but mentioned enough for me to find their website and am pretty surprised their dubious claims haven't been shutdown yet being "Registered with the FDA"

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I don't know, @Huntn, but this is not really my cup or tea (or coffee), nor my kind of movie.

Call me pedantic because I have a preference for boring rule of law stuff.
I suspected it would not be your cup of tea. :)
It's based on a comic. I enjoy it because of some of the quirky stuff, like being serenaded by a hit man before he tries to kill you, one v one with the 7' tall Russian, defying death. I also like it because of it's vigilante nature, but as a rule this is not something I seek out on a regular basis.

All I knew about the Punisher when I first watched it, was that he punished those deserving of being punished. Netflix also turned this into an outstanding series. Fequently in comics we have heroes who technically operate outside the law because the law seems unable to handle the outlaws.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I suspected it would not be your cup of tea. :)
It's based on a comic. I enjoy it because of some of the quirky stuff, like being serenaded by a hit man before he tries to kill you, one v one with the 7' tall Russian, defying death. I also like it because of it's vigilante nature, but as a rule this is not something I seek out on a regular basis.

All I knew about the Punisher when I first watched it, was that he punished those deserving of being punished. Netflix also turned this into an outstanding series. Fequently in comics we have heroes who technically operate outside the law because the law seems unable to handle the outlaws.

Well, perhaps this discussion can be continued in a separate thread, but I like stylish, classy criminals, (A. J. Raffles, Arsène Lupin and so on), rather than a world where violence is the preferred common currency of the characters in question.

Reactions: Huntn

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
My dad got ripped off a few years ago and it infuriated me at the time. He was sitting in his car when two shady characters approached him with a Samsung device and tried to sell it to him. It was legitimate, worked fine and they had a box with accessories which looked fresh. Most sensible people would still turn it away right? Nope, my dad forked over £200 and bought it home. They switched the device in the box for a low quality clone which did not work properly.

He was embarrassed of course, sheepishly gave me the device to dispose of it and we never spoke of it again.

I destroyed it with a hammer.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My dad got ripped off a few years ago and it infuriated me at the time. He was sitting in his car when two shady characters approached him with a Samsung device and tried to sell it to him. It was legitimate, worked fine and they had a box with accessories which looked fresh. Most sensible people would still turn it away right? Nope, my dad forked over £200 and bought it home. They switched the device in the box for a low quality clone which did not work properly.

He was embarrassed of course, sheepishly gave me the device to dispose of it and we never spoke of it again.

I destroyed it with a hammer.

Two shady characters - it takes two to sell a Samsung? - approaching a car - okay, I'm female, but this alone would serve to set off my radar.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
My dad got ripped off a few years ago and it infuriated me at the time. He was sitting in his car when two shady characters approached him with a Samsung device and tried to sell it to him.
Ah... I know that con well. I've been approached numerous times. One guy is the quiet guy: he's the lookout. He keeping his eyes on the surroundings looking for cops, other potential marks, nosy witnesses. The other guy is the seller: silver tongued, extremely polite, but won't take no for an answer. The sort of guy who could sell brass knuckles to Ghandi.:eek:
The product is either surplus they found or extra items placed on their truck but not on the invoice. Whatever their reasons, they claim the items are legit. If it's an unknown brand, they'll have a specialty (one you're never heard of) magazine with an article/ads showcasing that brand. The best way out is to pretend you need to ask your significant other before buying. Use your phone to call the cops from inside your car. They'll run off when the quiet guy sees a patrol cruiser approaching.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget
I have and the only thing I could do was to stop buying extenze by the case............ I am hoping a Harley or lifted truck does the trick for me........

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I have and the only thing I could do was to stop buying extenze by the case............ I am hoping a Harley or lifted truck does the trick for me........

There's some Italian options that definitely help :D

BTW, having a "big ego" doesn't really correlate to asking anonymous strangers on the internet how to "feel better about myself" ;)

I enjoy researching things so much - and I'm naturally paranoid - so I generally have avoided any kind of "ripoff", including buying used Macs, cars, umm, other sorts of products ...

A couple of guys did try to roll me in a parking lot, when the one guy regained consciousness (the other guy ran when I dropped his buddy) one of the cops told me he claimed I "hit him with a rock or something", nope, no weapons/objects, I guess he had never been hit by someone who knows how to handle themselves :)

Last edited:
Reactions: jkcerda
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.