Have you ever had food poisoning?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Jesse Smith, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Jesse Smith macrumors member

Yesterday at work (A grocery store.), for lunch I had half a gallon of milk that had a price reduction cause it expired with in five days. Turns out it was half a gallon of food poisoning!!!!!! It didn't take long at all to fill really bad. Right after lunch was over I was...uggggg!!!! About an hour later I threw up what now looked like cottage cheese, like three times in less than 30 seconds. I got done with work a few hours later and then spent the next 17 hours in bed *trying* to sleep.

First the pain felt like something wanted to explode (I lost my appendix a few years ago, from Crohn's Disease!). Now it's only a little worse than a normal stomach ache.

Any one got any food poisoning tips? I took a Laxative, and the bananas part of BRAT (bananas, rice, apples and toast).

Lesson learned, don't drink a half gallon of poison!!!

2. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

You drank the whole half gallon at lunch? Did you eat anything? Did it taste off? It's possible that you got food poisoning, but it's also possible that you just overloaded on milk.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Your number one problem was that you drank 1/2 gallon of milk in one sitting. You shouldn't do that, as it almost always causes problems.

Second, I can't say for sure that I've had food poising. The closest thing was going to a movie and eating a plate of tater tots, only to toss them at 4am.

TEG

4. djellison macrumors 68020

The human gut struggles to digest milk anyway - not a good idea to drink quite so much of it.

Doug

5. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

That wasn't the first time I had half a gallon of milk for lunch. (I got osteoporosis.) The other times generated nothing more than filling full. I also had mixed nuts with it.

The day before I had just two pints of milk and ended up being a fart bomb!

6. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

wow i cant drink that much milk at once. but, whatever.

I have had food poisoning twice. once from arbys the other time from bad mexican food that was supposedly made fresh.

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Oh, it was made fresh, alright. Fresh with Salmonella.

8. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

And I only weigh 148 pounds/67.27 kilograms!! So half a gallon of milk, er food poisoning...in one sitting, is a lot!!!

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Milk doesn't usually give you food poisoning. The cases I've had w. food poisoning the symptoms were a tight stomach (muscles kinda' contracted), shaky body, some nausea but not real bad and the sh**ts big time.

I heard by the time milk actually hits your stomach it's curdled.

10. Jesse Smith thread starter macrumors member

I don't know about that fast, but...

Wanna make cottage cheese??? Drink a half gallon of *good* milk and then throw it up an hour later!! Just don't let any one know where the cottage cheese was made!!! :D:D:D:D

11. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Could be, what with all the acid.

12. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I'm not sure if this was food poisoning or not. I've gotten it twice and I was ill for the whole day and throwing up every hour or so. What do I know, I'm no doctor.:D

13. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I don't think food poisoning sets in that fast. I've had that feeling before when I was really full of gas. It's easily the worst pain I've ever felt. I'd imaging that drinking so much trapped a lot of wind in your stomach or other part of your digestive system.

See a doc.

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I've had food poisoning on several occasions. You know how it feels when your stomach aches, head aches, your teeth aches, your hair aches? And how the world seems to spin every time you sit up? The times I've had food poisoning, I wished I felt that good.:eek: I had to lie in a dark and quiet room for a day or so. I was extremely sensitive to light and sound--a nightlights was as blinding as flood lights and the slightest sounds thundered in my ears.:( Truly, I'd rather crawl over broken glass with my fly unzipped rather be hit with food poisoning.:p

15. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

First week of the new century, 2000, had some BBQ ribs on the 1st.

Reheated in microwave five days later.

Leftovers, you should know, are always "for tomorrow", only that I strung together too many tomorrows.

Ate at 6pm; by midnight I felt ... odd. :confused:

3am I awoke for seemingly no reason. Sitting up I ... I ...

Ran.

By 7am, I was wondering if toilets are designed to smell the way they do in order to facilitate easier heaving. :D

Took a week to be relatively normal.

16. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Hmm... food poisoning... McDonalds gave me "dysentery" for about a week after consuming a salad, some fries, and a coke. I'll never eat at McD's again unless I have to. OP... you get what you pay for... :rolleyes::D

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

thats not food poisoning, thats just bad milk and an overload of bad milk at that.

food poisoning doesn't set in until you're already digesting the bad food. at least from what i know of it. i've gotten it once before due to an improperly cooked meat. was hell for three or four days. fever, sweaty, shaking, headache. couldn't hold anything else down either.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Doesn't matter if you have osteoporosis or not. Your body can only absorb so much calcium at one time. Drinking one gallon of milk in one sitting offers no benefit (in terms of calcium) than 300-400 ml of milk. On the other hand, if you took that gallon of milk, and you drank a quarter of it every 2 hours so that you drank it in 8 hours rather than over a span of 30-60 minutes, you'd get more calcium out of it.

What you're doing isn't wise. Your body can't even handle a gallon of water at a time, let alone milk.

Yes it can. It only took around 2 hours for me to feel completely ill after eating food at Bangkok airport (Thailand) around 4 years ago. After I got back to HK (on New Years Eve), I had the s***s for the rest of the night, and for 3 days after that. The next day, I couldn't eat a thing. In fact, I couldn't eat for 3 days. I could only have really soft foods, so I had a bit of soup and grapes. It didn't stay in my stomach, but at least I was ingesting food. Anyway, I found out last year that grapes are a laxative, so they probably made the situation worse.

19. tresbien macrumors regular

tresbien

well, I think your problem is that you drank so much milk all at once. thats gross. If your desperate for calcium, try some quinoa, its a grain. One cup of it has more calcium than a quart of milk does, and it tastes better and doesn't come from a cows udder.

ick, i hate milk. even when I was little i could only handle skim. I'm a soymilk person now.

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. I pour soy milk in with my muesli for breakfast. However, I have milk with my daily cappuccino. Soy milk coffee is gross.

21. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

McDonalds got me too; had a cheeseburger that came back to kick my ass 2 hrs later :( (in the middle of an airport parking deck too...). To TS, try sipping on some gatorade. I've always been told its good for upset stomachs and its helped me a few times.

22. JustinW macrumors member

JustinW

A few years back I got terrible food poisoning from Weinershnitzel. I slept on the floor of my bathroom for two nights and was in very terrible physical pain. It really was probably the worst I have ever felt in my life.

23. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I got horribly sick off the first meal that my girlfriend made for me. I think it was some sort of pasta dish. She thought I was going to leave and never come back. Three years later we're still together, and she's not allowed to use the kitchen for anything more complicated than a bowl of cereal.

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've had a variety of cases of food poisoning over the years.

However, two bad cases come to mind. In both cases, I told the Lord to just take me and put me out of my misery. In both these cases, both ends relieved themselves at the same time. Not fun at all. A big mess.

Milk was involved in one. Noodles and shellfish (cooked) was involve din the other.

To the OP, just a suggestion, but never drink that much milk (or any other drink) at one time. That's too much! Even that much water can mess you up depending on your situation.

25. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

I'd guess a rotten nut gave you the poisoning in the first place. Normally, the stomach acid kills practically all germs in the food that we eat, but when you drink a lot of milk, it neutralizes the acid quite efficiently. After all, drinking milk is often recommended as a first aid if someone has drunk acid or lye accidentally.