Have you ever thought about why apple released iPhone with signal problems?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zompac, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Zompac macrumors newbie

I have thought about it and I think it is because of gizmodo showing off the prototype they found. Steve jobs says that prototypes have to be tested in real world environments and that's exactly what an engineer was doing but got drunk at a bar and forgot that specific prototype. The reason he was testing it was to point out flaws like the signal flaw that specific type had.

But when gizmodo found that prototype, they did what anyone would do and post pictures of it on the Internet. and now that everyone has seen that awesome looking thinner different design. That's what they were expecting to be the next iPhone. So apple had to make it the new iPhone even though it had a flaw.

Foxconn is a company that builds iPhones for apple and they had to invest in thousands of machines that are designed to build prototypes which costs $20,000 for each machine. And foxtron was able to supply over 100,000 iphone 4s a day.

When apple released the new iPhone 4 they kept mentioning the case you can put it in (which fixes the signal problem) cause they knew they were screwed And were hoping everyone would get one.

If none of this would of happened we would of probably had a whole different iPhone that would be slightly thicker, and have all of the same atures except for the signal problem and people would just find something else to complain about it like the camera not having as many megapixels as other phones out there.

Well these are just my thoughts about the whole situation, would like to know what you people think.

2. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

Apples fault

I think I will blame it on apple because the guy who found it was trying to call apple up and tell them they found an iPhone and was trying to give it back. And they took it as a prank call. So he sold it for $5000 to gizmodo because apple wouldn't take it back.. Hahahahahahaha

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

What signal problems? I don't have any stinkin' signal problems. :)

Best iPhone ever. Seriously.

Edit: I just wish we could fix those double posting posters. Edit your post next time by clicking on edit, okay?

4. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

I beg to differ.

This.

5. Amino Man macrumors 6502

I disagree. I believe it was already the final design when Gizmodo found it. Think about it. There wouldn't have been enough time to test a new prototype anyway.

They were testing it with a CASE on it (we all know that cases fix the antenna problem) so perhaps they didn't notice because of the secretive case or maybe they were testing in a good signal area.

6. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops, I am very new to these forums, will keep that in mind for future posts. Also if you grip your iPhone 4 tightly, it looses some bars, or if you touch firmly the lines on the metal rim of your phone dividing the antennas, it also lowers the bars some.

7. strodda macrumors regular

Was your purpose to signing up for this forum TODAY, just so you can start this bs thread?

8. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

No it wasn't. I signed up earlier so I can make replys to some posts, and just kept chatting here and there, and decided to make a post just now.

9. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

That happened to my 3GS too.

It doesn't happen on my iPhone 4.

10. ashVID macrumors regular

This subject has been beaten to death. No merit to your thoughts at all. There most definitely IS a signal problem in many areas but, you can deal with it with a case.

I challenge anyone who says they have no signal issues to visit my house, where in normal use (no death grip), you will go from 4 bars to none and drop a call in 3 min or less. Happens with every iphone 4 in these parts (no prob with case).

ash =o)

11. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh... Well why do I constantly hear bitching about how the iPhone 4 has antenna problems? A lot of people are saying the iphone 4 sucks because of that even though it seams like they don't have one. I wish I had one lol.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Foxconn ... Watergate .... The white iphone .... Where is my tinfoil?

13. Charadis macrumors 6502a

OP,
    Foxconn, also know as the Hon Hai Group, manufactures the iPhones for Apple. They are also contracted by other big names, such as Sony, Microsoft, and HP to manufacture products under the respective brand names. Almost everything is outsourced these days.

As for your theory, I have to disagree on some aspects, namely on the retaining of the thin profile due to the unanticipated public exposure. Since Gizmodo did release those pics, Apple should have been worried that the people now know what the new iPhone is going to look like and there is nothing new to be revealed at the keynote. Thus, Apple should only have better reason to redesign the phone and continue testing/prototyping in the long run.

I have to admit, I was still anxious to watch the announcement of the iPhone 4.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

14. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

I was very excited while watching the iPhone 4 presentation and gave me an impression on what features the next iPod would have and crossed my fingers about the camera features on iPod touch 4. I'm just a kid so that's all I'm getting anytime soon lol.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, you're way off OP.
    Im sure Apple or any company does not want to release a product that has any flaws at all but it does happen even to the biggest names like Apple, Sony, Microsoft etc...
    Gizmodo's leak or any of that had nothing to do with it IMO.

16. Roo Zilla macrumors regular

There's a lot of conspiracy theory to what you're thinking.

For example, you think the case (bumper) introduced with iPhone 4 was so they could fix the signal problem. The most likely scenario is that because this was a new design, which they didn't share with anyone, there weren't going to be any cases to sell at launch. Since something like 70+% of buyers also buy a case at the same time as their phone, Apple probably saw an opportunity to make some extra cash. Believe me, those $30 bumpers probably cost like $1 to make.

No matter what, we were going to get the iPhone 4 we got. the Gizmodo thing didn't change a thing. At anytime, Apple could have simply stated that the iPhone Gizmodo had was an engineering test sample, nothing more. But it wasn't and it was the iPhone 4 prototype and it was the design they had committed to. There's no way they can redesign a whole new phone, plus gear up production of a million units at launch, within a three month time frame. Yes Foxconn can crank out 130K units a day now, but getting ready to do that takes serious time. I used to work in manufacturing, and producing a new product, especially one as small and complex as an iPhone takes a lot of work. Furthermore, designing a new iPhone itself is said to take something like 18 months.

17. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

Like I said. These are just my thoughts on the matter.

Why would apple be giving away free bumpers for a few months after the purchase? They were selling them, then they were giving away them for free after another conference they were discussing the iPhone 4 issue and said they will give away free bumpers.

And now there selling them again after they patched it with a software update.

18. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

You should get your facts straight...

The guy who "found" it did NOT try to call Apple; his roommate did to avoid any legal repercussions since her iTunes account was used to try to get the iPhone prototype to work. From the beginning he was trying to find a site to buy it from him, again he never called Apple so how could Apple take it as a prank call?

So your laughter, I take, is like the other 10 year old kids whom think it's ok to sell stolen goods.

**Be Advised**
    Before you, anyone, want to get into an argument over whether or not it was "stolen," you need to READ California law governing the sell of found property first. What you think is ok, is not ok in the "law's" eyes...

19. Charadis macrumors 6502a

It's a great phone, and I hope you'll choose to get one someday if you haven't already. The new iPod Touch is almost comparable in experience with the exemption of the phone and GPS feature. Additionally, while the Touch has the same screen resolution, it is not an IPS display like the one used in iPhone 4, but it is very close in overall quality.

If you have one of these already, I'm quite jealous. I did not get my first phone until I was a fresher in college, and my first iPod when I was a sophomore; it was a 3rdGen. And it was revolutionary. :)

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

20. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

I was advised but from the wrong source probably. I read that story from and Internet article and it is totally different from what you are explaining.

21. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Yep, and I read it directly from the documents released from the investigating department - posted by a more reputable internet source than Giz..something or other.

22. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Care to post that source? It might back up your claims better. ;)

23. Zompac thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/iphone-finder/. It explains how his friend tried to give it back to apple then failed at it, then sells it to gizmodo for $5000 forget this post though... It was just my thoughts about things and stuff.... Also to the guy who said I was laughing at the little kid. It's just funny to me that apple didn't take back their phoned mentioned in this article and many others. And selling it for $5000 even though it was illegal. I never said it was okay to sell stolen property as I am not the person who found the iPhone 4 lol.

Actually I can't find the source I read before the iPhone 4 came out. Steve jobs even says his room ate called the police on him... Just the storys seam different...

24. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Obviously you haven't done any research on HT gear.
    TV's, blurays, higher end dvd players and receivers all have their issues. Many of the problems can be fixed or reduced through firmware upgrades.

technology is advancing too fast for comapnies to sit back and release the flawless device. If they did they would surely fall to the competition