Have you ever wished You had a Desktop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Techguy172, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Have you ever wished you had a desktop I mean when doing tasks like Photoshop,Illustrator,In Design or even iMovie The notebooks get hot and slow down and the desktop seems to handle it so much better. Man, I wish I had both. You see today I was in Photoshop of course I had other things running like safari and iTunes and Sketch up, You know other basic stuff and the processor got hot and stepped down and the fans are blowing like crazy and it's just so slow and thought Man I wish I had both.

What about You?

2. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I really couldn't live with just a laptop. Working on a small screen and a laptop keyboard for a long period of time would annoy the hell out of me. Desktops are just so much better in my view, at least as a main computer. I have however bought a refurb MacBook for if and when I need to be portable (i.e. uni) although I couldn't do heavy work on it.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I wish I DIDN'T have a desktop. I'm thinking of selling this system whenever I myself a MacBook Pro. I just need the graphics card.

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Every time I switch computers (every 3 weeks or so) I find myself wanting the other kind. Right now I have a Titanium powerbook, and I'm waiting for an email back from a guy who wants to trade it for a dual G5.

Great thing about desktops is they're expandable. Crappy thing about desktops is they're about as portable as the OS from an ENIAC. :D

Great thing about laptops is you can take them places. Crappy thing about laptops is they're as underpowered as a Model T on the Autobahn.

In a nutshell.

5. Techguy172 thread starter macrumors 68000

What desktop Do you have.

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I have an iMac. I replaced my 7 yr old G4 450 tower last summer when the iMacs went aluminum. I didn't like the white iMacs and considered a Mac Pro but it was too much $$ and a bit of overkill for my needs. While I wanted a midrange tower, the iMac was fine for me, I just wanted an aluminum machine. I considered a 15" MacBook Pro and 23" ACD but that would have been a bit pricey and I didn't really want to have the lid closed all the time and have it plugged in. I knew I wouldn't really use it that much away from my desk. + I would need a separate KB and Mouse and that was more to plug in. Added to which the ACDs are white on the side. The new Aluminum iMacs look much better and turned out to be the perfect system for me. Now with the MBA I might get one of those at some point for a notebook. Especially with the 3 lbs. factor.

7. portent macrumors 6502a

Yeah, if only there were some way to connect a full-sized display, mouse, and keyboard to a notebook. Like some magical connectors on the side that you could just plug stuff into.

Ah, well. Maybe someday.

8. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

But if it's just gonna spend most of it's life on a desk then you might as well get a desktop.

9. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

USB?? heh. Thats why a lot of Dell and other companies (and mac use to) mac docks for their laptops.

I am getting a stand and wireless keyboard to use with my MB when I want to use it on the big monitor or even tv.

10. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Until you can get a good desktop setup, can't you just get an external screen? I mean, that won't solve your speed problems, but you can definitely see the stuff you're working on better.

But yes, to answer your question, sometimes I wish I had a desktop...but then again, a laptop suits my needs much better, because I'm a college student :)

11. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

No, but i wish your keyboard had a better '.' key

12. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Unless you spend your time at a variety of different desks :)

I spend my time at home or at my desk in the office. I like having my own computer from home with me at the office for music and other things and to be able to pack it up and take it home with me.

13. apple90 macrumors member

What I would do is buy a Macbook Pro with elevator/cooling system underneath it so it cools my macbook pro.

Then I would get an Apple Cinema Display and with my Macbook Pro closed, I would do my work on the big screen using of course an Apple keyboard, and Apple mouse (wireless), and talking on my iPhone.

Ahhh... Just to imagine having those items are a dream. At the moment I have nothing but a broken ibook g4 :(

LOL

14. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I think the majority of people really only need a desktop as opposed to a laptop but people seem to crave portability even at more prices and slower speed.

Guess the only solution is to make a lot of money and have both :D

15. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Well that it makes sense to get a portable. But if it was kept in one place... ;)

16. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I think many people over estimate just how portable they'll be.

17. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

I'd say that's an understatement. I think most people just want to use their computer on the bed, couch, floor in their homes. :p

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have, but I really can't complain because my MacBook Pro is VERY fast and was $700 cheaper than a Mac Pro. I do wish that I had more RAM, a bigger hard drive, and more expandability, but I need the portability because I use my Mac for my job and school.

19. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

As a Mac User since about 1985, and having had a couple of dozen different Macs over the years (Classics, G3's, G4's towers, colored iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, Igloo iMacs, white flat panel PowerPC iMacs, white Intel iMacs) finally I am presently enjoying what I think is perhaps the sweetest setup I've ever had:

A new white MacBook 2.2GHz with a fine quality 24" HP LP2465 widescreen (using Samsung's awesome LTM240M2-L02 I-PVA panel). I think this laptop/desktop monitor setup is the best of both worlds. Not perfect, by any means (of course, nothing is!), but it offers a level of computing which is superb and versatile!

I've maxed the MacBook out with 4GB RAM (overkill, perhaps, but I work with large files in Photoshop all day everyday); I bought an external Apple aluminum keyboard and a Targus laptop stand.

Gotta say, this is a really sweet setup. I do a lot of Photoshop editing (own a portrait studio) and use the Mac for every task under the sun while also editing in PS. I am very, very happy with this setup. It surprises me how snappy Photoshop CS3 runs and how gorgeous the image is on the 24" HP widescreen display. The frosting on the cake is unplugging the MacBook and taking it to the sofa or the bed or on the road. All for under $2k. I LOVE it!

20. TatsuTerror macrumors regular

What's the difference if you have a Macbook Pro and an external monitor? The power of a desktop with the portability of a laptop.

Of course, I suppose a MP would be more powerful, but then you loose your portability -- and need another computer. Why make things that complicated?

21. cuestakid macrumors 68000

can someone tell me why there is no docking type setup for macs-isnt the only thing that it needs is some knid of connector-I think that it would actually increase the number of laptops sold because i think many dont buy it because of the lack of ports

22. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

MacBook Pro & external monitor even better than MacBook & external monitor, but a LOT more money. The 2.2GHz MBP is about $750 more money and offers little, if any, noticible speed increase. The 2.4GHz MBP is about $1200 more and does offer a moderate bump in speed, but not necessarily significant, depending on what you use the computer for. I was surprised at how powerful the MacBook 2.2GHz machine is for a little over $1200, so I decided to save $750-$1200 difference? Granted, the MBP offers a couple of other goodies like backlit keys and somewhat larger screen, so if the money isn't a problem, of course it would be even better than the MB. Otherwise, the MB 2.2GHz is a heck of a great machine for $1225 (MacConnection.com) Add 4GB of RAM for $99 from OWC and you've got a super little machine.

23. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I agree 100%. The reason my wife now has a MB is because she was jealous that I was using my PB on the couch and on the bed. Few people need a real desktop computer anymore. As technology continues to shrink expect the desktop to all but disappear.

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You have only 1 GB RAM. Get more.

Agree on the fan noise. Modern iMacs/MPs are dead-silent even when under maximum load.

True

MBP isn't a portable variant of MP. Its a portable iMac, so it's not cheaper than the desktop equivalent.

One of the MBP's greatest advantages over MB is the graphics card. You never mentioned it.

25. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

I yearn to get away from the desk many times a day... and would never want to give up the ability to just take the MacBook to the sofa, recliner, or the bed. Often I surf before falling asleep. Then in the morning, just open the MacBook to check the mail and the news before getting up. And when it comes time to work, take it to my desk, plug in the 24" wide screen & the keyboard and have the "desktop" experience. I love it.