Have you ever?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wvuwhat, Jan 19, 2011.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Just up and moved? I'm currently living in Northern Virginia and it is honestly all stay at home mom's and kids, kids, kids.

The only time I was away from here was while I was in college in Morgantown, WV. But, I could always find something to do. Here, not so much.

I'm 24, and I have no "ties," just my golden retriever, my lease was up last month and I've moved back in with my parents for the time being. I have been making a living working with a buddy of mine on his new business, but I only see this position lasting another month or two.

I've got about 10K in the bank and a good credit history. I know you're not supposed to move without a job, but after losing my best friend this past weekend I've just felt this urge to move on and do something new.

2. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

It all depends on your field of work. If you can find a job easily in other places then moving straight up can be feasible. I've never done it myself but sometimes I wish I did. My dream is to find a job in CA and move there. I will probably spit at the map of MA every single day I live in CA.

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you need a vacation, some time away to reflect and mourn the loss of your friend. I don't think its a good idea to consider big changes in your life in the wake of a tragedy that is obviously affecting you emotionally and the way you see the world. While a change in scenery can be a good thing, you are also around those who love you and can offer support at time when you may need it most.

4. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I understand where you're coming from, but honestly, where I am now (Ashburn, VA) is not where I want to be for the rest of my life. It's filled with 100K+ gov't job drones.

I am much more comfortable with being myself and being able to go to a Starbucks and or panera and meeting people my own age.

Yes, this tragedy of losing my friend has affected me, but I've always wanted to get "out of here," this loss is kind of making me realize that now may be the best time to do it.

5. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

On the other hand it sounds like maybe this tragedy is more like a 'wake up call' and as you say, its making you realize that life is short and you better get a move on with things. If that is how you feel, then sure, get going, start living your life where and how you want. What's that slogan....oh yeah

Just Do it!

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

In 2005, my family moved from Florida to Colorado. No job, no friends, no family were here. We just moved.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

keeps life interesting

I knew a girl who moved to CO all by herself with nothing to come to out here just because of a personality test said shed like co or something. so she just upped and moved

talk about ballsy

8. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If Northern Virginia sucks, it sucks. Go for it, you only get one shot at life.

9. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

In 1990 I was living in the Toronto area and I had a couple of friends who had decided to move to Calgary. They asked if I wanted to come, and I said yes. I sold or gave away all my stuff, packed a couple of suitcases, said goodby to my family (parents & siblings) and have never looked back. Best thing I ever did. My wife and I are now looking at packing it in and moving out to Vancouver Island. We'll see.

You don't necessarily need a plan, so long as your reasons are clear and you're not running away from problems, because they tend to follow. I wish you the best of luck. If you don't do it, you will regret it.

10. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

If you have an "employable skill," what are you waiting for? Get to where you want to be, get a job, and start living. But don't go someplace and do nothing. Your savings will quickly run out and you'll be back in hell, err ah No Va, in no time.

11. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Not personally but I know a few people at school that just moved. Someone from my primary school just moved to Sheffield apparently randomly, and someone else to Canada.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes. At 25, I took what would fit in my car and moved from Ohio to Chicago- no job and $800 in my pocket. I'm doing just fine, thanks. :) It was the best thing I've ever done in my life. I highly suggest doing it.

You will find that things have a way of working out when you jump without a net.

13. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

A dream I have is to put what I need in my backpack, get in the car on a sunny morning, and just drive. Not know where I'll end up, not know what path I'll take, and just drive until I feel the overwhelming urge to stop and live.

It is possible. The biggest complication isn't what to do when you get there, it's in leaving the clutter you own behind - often things you don't need or use.

14. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds like nothing is stopping you. Your current job is only temporary so sooner than later you would be jobless. Even if you don't get a job immediately, $10k will pay your rent and living for couple of months. You can always come back but it's impossible to know whether the grass is greener on the other side of the fence without going there and checking ;)

15. Keebler macrumors 68030

personally, I would just hold on for another few months.

It seems with a personal tragedy on your mind, it might skew things for the time being. Alot of emotions on the go.

Hang tight and see where helping your friend goes.

Then decide :)

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I jumped ship to Socal in my mid-20s. The place I was working closed their doors, and I took it as an excuse to reboot my life and start over. I donated everything that wouldn't fit into my car, and with a grand in the bank started driving the 1500 miles to an uncertain future. I had a friend that let me crash at his place until I got on my feet, which fortunately only took about a week. That was a big, big help.

My only regret is that I left some scorched earth with regard to my relationship at the time - it needed to end, but she deserved better. Nonetheless it all worked out. I'm the kind of guy that always plays it safe, so it was a huge, huge deal, but it ended up being one of the best decisions I've made.

17. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Same here. The urge is getting stronger each and every day. :)

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Sell what you can and give away the rest. It's just stuff.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

move......now

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- this recently happened to a friend of mine. One of his best friends died suddenly. His death made him realize how none of us realy know how much time we have. He has always wanted to move to LA and work in the biz, so he moved quite suddenly last year after the funeral. He now works in the business and is very happy.

21. gr8whtd0pe macrumors 6502a

gr8whtd0pe

Come back to WV! You won't make anywhere near 100k+ a year, biggest employers are Wal*Mart and the State. Heck I work for the state and only make 20k. Oh wait you want to go to Starbucks and or panera, never mind. There is only one Starbucks in Charleston (Mall), and one Panera (near wal*mart).

Sarcasm and kidding aside, I would move to London in a heart beat if I could, or somewhere in Europe. Nothing against the US, just want to see and explore the world. Worse that happens, you move, live for awhile, don't like it and move back home.

22. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I say do it.

I'm the prudent type, I would at least start researching places to move to, jobs to find, etc. - but (not meaning to sound condescending) you're young, you're unattached, nobody's counting on you right now to pay the bills, it's the perfect time.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. Let us know what happens. :)

23. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, here's where I am with this. If I can't find a position anywhere over the net, at least I can have a really nice cross country trip and back. I'm ready to "stop" in any town if a job arises.

Mind you, I'll have my golden retriever, so hotels will have to be o.k. with it, so I'm looking into Marriott Residence Inns, because in the past they have allowed pups to be there.

Northern VA. I'm thinking from here, to Raleigh, to Charleston (family there, probably will stay there for at least 5 days), Jacksonville, New Orleans (cousin's a singer/songwriter there, so maybe an extended stay), Austin/Dallas, Scottsdale, San Diego, back to Vegas, Kansas City, Chicago, pittsburgh, then home.

If I'm missing anything along those routes let me know. I'm gonna set aside 2 months, so I've got a lot of time to just explore the towns and what they have to offer.

I'm kinda thinking that Seattle and St. Louis are worth stopping at, but I'm not really sure. If you could change the "itinerary" what would you do?

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nix the "home" and move to Pittsburgh. Its one of the nicest places, not completely my words, to live in America.

25. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm well aware of p-burgh. I was up there about every other week during my 4 years at WVU. I took advantage of cheap pirates games, Jerome Bettis's bar on the water between Heinz and pnc, primanti's, all that Oakland has to offer (sarcasm). I had a chick that stayed in the cylindrical towers on the pitt's campus that I "saw" during those weeks.

Fun Fact: WVU sponsored a "sports marketing" major "trip" up there. My buddy brought me along, even though I wasn't in their major, because they knew I'd be down for a pirates game, free bus ride, and 20 dollar bar credit at the bar that was at the other end of the Jerome bar, I want to say it was a tropical themed bar, but not sure...

Either way, I went, actually talked with Rotheislraper, palamalou, Keisal and about 5 other big name players that I don't know the names of. Was able to walk around the locker room and whatnot. If I was a Steeler's fan, I would have loved it, but I kinda shrugged it off.