Have you guys seen the new beats by dre studio?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Bmoreguy03, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Knowing nothing about earphones, but having read about a dozen different threads about Beats, let me predict what you will be told....

The audiophiles will tell you the Beats are crap, much better earphones can be had for much less money, and Beats are just a fashion statement.

Remember, you read it here first...:p ;)

2. Bmoreguy03 thread starter macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

Yea its mostly about personal preference. I have had my beats for about 3 years and love them. I have heard other headphones...but audio is up to the listener

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Beats are crap, much better earphones can be had for much less money, and Beats are just a fashion statement. :p

Actually there's some interesting features there, of course real-world testing will say whether they come through or not. I don't plan to replace my Sennheisers any time soon though.

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Nostradamus Strikes Again!

5. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

I'll invest in some Bose or Sennheiser before I ever pick up a pair of beats to buy. If they were a prize however... I could handle that.

6. vandoorn macrumors regular

I must say i like the design, but for that kind of money i would definitely buy some other ones. Maybe B&W P5?

7. mslide macrumors 6502a

Doesn't take an audiophile to realize that. All it takes is common sense and a pair of ears.

8. brentsg macrumors 68030

It's always one of those products that has potential buyers fishing for positive feedback, but when they don't get any they buy anyways.

9. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Like Bose....

Market, market, market and then find a people with a crap load of disposable income and sell, sell, sell.

Both Bose and Beats sell because people have crappy speakers/headphones prior to hearing them and think these are the bees knees (i.e. cheap Home-theater-in-a-box sets and Apple EarPods). Too bad they aren't sitting next to other more affordable mid-level speakers/headphones just to prove how mediocre they are.

That's not to say these won't be different, but so far none have impressed me.

10. Bmoreguy03 thread starter macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

Its funny how people automatically crap on Beats. Its like they have a target on their back.............Can some people give me some recommendations I have $300 to spend and I would like over the ear

11. EricT43 macrumors regular

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

As always, my friend. As always. Remember, though, even he was not always believed when he spoke thus....

I've had both Bose and Sennheiser headphones; both were good, and yes, I'm one of those who believes that Beats are simply a design fashion statement...

I have the B&W P5 and can attest to the fact that they are easily the best headphones I have ever owned; beautifully made, stylish, exceedingly comfortable, very portable (not massive by any means), and, most importantly, they deliver an excellent audio experience.

Too true, too true.

Okay, try Grado, Technics, or my own personal favourites, the Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P5s. They are a superb set of headphones, easily the best I have ever owned.

13. brentsg macrumors 68030

I use the B&W P5 as well. There are probably better headphones out there, but I needed something portable enough to slip into my backpack.

14. EricT43 macrumors regular

www.head-fi.org is a great place to learn about headphones, that's where I researched the ones I ended up getting.

15. metier macrumors member

16. vandoorn macrumors regular

Well i have the B&W P3, slightly smaller than the P5 which fold together and can be put in a nice box. Also a great sound and $100 cheaper than the P5

The P5 can also be slipped in a backpack pretty easily? You can fold them flat by turning the ear cushions and you can slip them in a sleeve.

17. Bmoreguy03 thread starter macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

Has anyone on here actually own a pair of beats studio or mixr headphones?

18. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Another vote for the B&W P5s.

Nobody owns those expensive Beats headphones for one simple reason - when you're spending that amount of money, everybody quickly realises that Beats are terrible and you're wasting all that cash.

19. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

is it weird that i just watched your avatar for a few minutes? i knew i found tetris cathartic but who knew a gif would be as well :p

also - beats are $100 headphones with $200 markup.

----------

i disagree - bose sell because they were marketed towards frequent flyers. they're extremely comfortable and were early pioneers of noise canceling.
    i see the similarity from an "audiophile" standpoint but it really ends there - for one thing the markup is nowhere near as bad on the bose.

20. jinyoungkim7 macrumors regular

jinyoungkim7

If you're gonna cough up $300 for the Beats Studio I'd recommend spending $50 more to get an even more stylish and infinitely better sounding Sennheiser Momentum. It has gotten awesome reviews too.

21. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

Your local Best Buy should have the new studio on display.

I tried them out, and was actually surprised that the sound quality has noticeably approved.

Pretty good review here:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/blog/2013/08/04/review-beats-new-studio

22. danny0220, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

danny0220 macrumors newbie

here's a comment i added on cnet. would also like to add that i have never owned other heaphones at cheaper or higher price points. these were a gift from my gf back in 2011 and she added the geek squad warranty on it for like $30. i advise u to do this if you do get the heaphones. i've replaced my headphones twice already (for my own sneaky reasons, not cuz they broke. don't judge me.) the cool thing about the warranty is, they don't just make you get another pair of beats. they give u the full store credit amount on the purchase and allow you to use it towards anything you want. ANYTHING. anyhow, as for the beats...

"so, rather than complain on the price, i'm adding my 2 cents since i own a pair of these.
    (just to get things straight, i didn't pay full price for these, i initially had the original studios as a gift with a best buy replacement warranty. i just replaced my old ones and got upgraded to the new.)

now as far as the new beats go....i'm kinda torn. I listen to a LOT of dubstep and electro house and have been fairly happy with the original studios and their "over compensating" bass. yeah, i said it, I LIKED THE EXCESS BASS. so to those wanting an honest review on these headphones (putting aside all the whining from ppl who don't own, nor like the beats) i would honestly say that the clarity in sound is improved, and the bass is definitely decreased. no more whomp whomps rattling over my ears, nor super deep bass drops that rattle your dome. BUT, as i stated before, everything sounds a lot clearer and has a more "even" sound to music without the overpowered bass. ALSO, the headphones fit AMAZINGLY. super comfortable and no more embarrassing sound bleeding! like, seriously, THEY FEEL SO GOOD ON. and they've fixed the sound bleed as well as the overall feel of the headphones. my old ones would feel "wobbly" and a little flimsy if i were to shake them, but these are pretty sturdy and don't make the "clackety clack" noise when shaken."

23. Bmoreguy03 thread starter macrumors regular

Bmoreguy03

24. brentsg macrumors 68030

I went thru the McDonald's drive through today for a chicken sandwich.

The dude that collected my $5 had some Beats, but I was unable to discern if they were the new ones or not.