Have you had complications with your 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Aug 26, 2008.

?

Have you had complications with your 3G?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    60.8%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    39.2%
  1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

On the fence, thinking about buying, figured it couldn't be more straight-forward than this.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You're going to see tons of people who have 3G issues. And tons of people who don't. So others' experiences may not necessarily be identical to your own.

The good new is you have 30 days to try out an iPhone with service. If it turns out it's not for you, then just return it and cancel.

3. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Agreed.

I voted yes, because I've had. But still, I've pretty much been through and lived with every other smartphone alternative and I still wouldn't switch. The iPhone is that good.

4. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

The idea is to get enough responses to get a decent picture of what I could expect, hopefully no outweighs yes in this case.

I was going to add a third option "not enough to bother me," figuring the little hiccups and stuff that people might vote yes for could be weeded out, but that's why there is the ability to comment.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Another thing, people who have problems with a device tend to frequent forums like this more regularly. I think you may get a disproportionate number of people here who have had a negative experience--myself included. You might be better off looking at product reviews--though not early reviews. The early reviewers tended to rave about the phone and wrote their articles literally within hours of getting the phone without fully testing it.

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm on my fourth iPhone 3G at the moment and I'm currently in an Apple Store waiting on stand by for an appointment to replace this one. First one had a faulty screen. Second one had faulty pixels. Third one had faulty pixels. Fourth one came with a scratch *under* the screen and sticky/unresponsive buttons.

However, do I recommend you get one? Hell yeah. Best phone in the world. I'd take a faulty iPhone over any other phone any day of the week. Apple Support have also been really good so far (hope I don't jynx it for this replacement though!!)

7. Oskee2001 macrumors regular

i've had the first gen iphone, then upgraded to the 3G phone last week. No problems at all with the first one, and no significant problems with the 3G. the 2.1 release should make the 3G iphone much better too.

8. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

3G problems but still would not stop me from buying all over again. The iPhone does the things I need it to do ... getting the 3G sorted would be a bonus!

Loopy

9. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

So far, my 3G iPhone has been anything but fun.

O2 denied me for a contract. I got that part sorted.

My first iPhone 3G arrived - and the chrome was covered in glue. I took it back to my local CPW who suggested I clean it with WD40 (brake cleaner). It didn't please them when I refused to leave the store without a replacement.

Got my replacement home (They refused to let me check it in store and carried on serving other customers) - and it has the yellow screen issue.

I called CPW who told me to return it immediately. I did so, and the staff said there was no fault at all - despite the fact the vibrancy and brightness was better on my old 2G. They compared it to 1 working in-store model (the other 2 had no battery, and they had no chargers, apparently) - and it was beyond yellow. The dock was actually almost green in colour.

The refused to change it - and told me to leave the store. They even put a note on my account which informed any other Carphone Warehouse stores not to exchange the phone. This was despite me going in, with tens of printouts from this website and others, identifying the 'yellow' problem.

In the end, I had to spent over £30 on a train ticket, and get a train across the country to my nearest Apple store - where they changed it (eventually). The so-called Genius I saw said despite the fact he recognised a problem, it wasn't bad enough for an exchange - despite the fact 4 colleagues said to change it, and one even commented on a photograph making someone appear as though they had jaundice because of their skin colour.

He exchanged it, and reluctantly let me check it in store.

At last, I have a working iPhone. No light leaks, nothing.

If you get one, buy it in person - and do not leave that store until you've checked it. If they look at you like you're ******* crazy - think of it this way: it's better than going back to that same store, once, twice or three times over. Then you look OCD. If things go well the first time, you don't have to ever go back.

10. iNfowarrior macrumors member

If you expect us to believe that this your idea of research, then you are simply wasting space here.

The iPhone 3g is an incredible product. It has NO competitor. Anyone who thinks it has competition simply doesn't understand the word competition, or the word "similar". There is no product similar to the iPhone. There are phones. There are smart phones. There are phones with apps. There are phones with touch screens. There are phones with music and video and internet and email. But there is no ACTUAL competition for the iphone.

SO why waste our time and space here? Go BUY it. If you don't like it, too bad, return it.

Ask yourself: Are the iPhone features things I will love using? If Yes, then stop thinking about it.

If you are worried about "issues" then you might as well not buy anything.

11. iNfowarrior macrumors member

What does this story have to do with anything? Do you realize how many iPhone 3G devices exist? Are you aware of, just from the sheer numbers, how many defectives there are out there? Even if its only 1-2%?

The Carphone Warehouse employee who treated you as such should be sitting home right now looking for another career if you hadn't (OBVIOUSLY) thrown a senseless tantrum in the store, enough to get sent home and blacklisted (what are you, 13?).

You also should have gone to Apple first. For someone who claims to be informed (by bringing internetz printoutz to the store), you should have known better than to go anywhere besides an Apple store to get an Apple product replaced. This isn't a Krups Coffeemaker. You want a new one, you go to the manufacturer. Period.

12. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Research? Hardly. And who said competition? I didn't say competition. I also didn't say similar, you did.

But yes, I am comparing the iPhone 3G to something, the first generation that I already own. Don't talk down to me, telling me I'm wasting space when I already own the only real 3G "competitor" (your words, not mine). I know there is no phone like it, I've been praising this phone since I got in a year ago.

My goal with the poll is to try to subdue my temptation for now because I shouldn't be buying a new iPhone when mine is perfectly fine, but I want it.

What I don't understand is why people like you feel they need to take personal responsibility as a self-moderator of the forum like it's yours. If you don't agree with the poll, its reasons, or its purpose, move on. Pretend like it's not even there. I assure you your day will be the same.

13. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

...still at it

14. iNfowarrior macrumors member

Lol, sadly this thread doesn't have a reason or purpose, besides wasting space. I'm not self moderating, have you seen me delete your thread? No. I'm simply pointing out that this is not what this space should be used for. No one cares about your decision to buy it. After you buy it, if you have an interesting perspective, post it.

Otherwise, don't.

15. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

So according to you, all-knowing MacRumors member of a month, a cut-and-dry poll with members saying if they've had problems or not with their new phones wouldn't be useful to any of the other hundred of people searching these forums wondering the same things I am?

The only waste of space is you, responding incoherently to people's posts. Were you picked on as a kid?

16. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I've had no problems with the iPhone I bought last week. The battery gets sucked up a little faster than I expected, but otherwise it's great. AT&T's network, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

17. iNfowarrior macrumors member

Lol, you're funny. You do not like being disagreed with. Its amusing.

If you are searching Macrumors for information that is to lead to a purchase, then you are making a huge mistake.

Here's an example of why:

Q: Have you had complications with your 3G?
    A: Yes every time I turn it on it forgets to make me lunch.

This is what you are dealing with around here. There are a few select people (really smart ones too) that can help you with a few select problems (actual problems, not do I waste my money or do I not). Beyond that, you are in wrong place for actual information or help.

Need more proof? Just look at the first page of this thread. The titles should make any experienced iPhone user cringe. That's the buying advice you're seeking?

18. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

You keep implying that I need help with a problem, I don't have a problem, I didn't buy anything yet.

I was just asking if there are people who have had no problems OTB, because it seems as if everyone is complaining about something.

And yes, if it could make me lunch I would buy it when I got out of work, because I love sandwiches.+

19. pj rage macrumors 6502

I had no problems until the 2.0.2 firmware was released. The phone was great. Edge, 3G, and GPS all worked great.

Now, I'm lucky to get 3G or even edge to give me any data without having to restart the phone, or, at least, toggle airplane mode. It's so annoying that I basically only use the phone on wifi now. I can't wait until the next firmware update*

*Assuming it's firmware and not AT&T. I really don't care what it is, I just want it working like it used to.

20. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

21. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

22. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

Spotty 3G in an area that according to AT&T is 3G. In other words, the phone is ok, the network needs improvement.

23. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You seem to be more interested in trolling than actually making a decision.

Clearly you've already decided. You don't want to buy an iPhone 3G, so don't. End of discussion.

24. iGuardian macrumors 6502a

iGuardian

I've had some reception issues, but it seems to me that the amount of bars the iPhone displays is inaccurate. I've had conversations on it with, according to the phone, 0 bars, and had crystal clear voice quality. As for internet, I don't use it, so I can't say.

25. luckygyrl83 macrumors 6502

Even though I voted yes, I wouldnt trade it. I would love some improvements shortly, but I'll live. There is a slight lag on my contacts and sms still. Also, the random crashing bugs me a lil. And the whole 3g and dropped calls sux.