Have you kissed your Mac/Apple yet?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DeepIn2U, Jan 22, 2011.

1. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

It's an understatement that we all chose Mac as a primary computing platform (iOS included for most), and its safe to say we all love it.

But there comes a time, something critical in your work, something critical in your personal life - including family - where the Mac or Apple device just came through and it was your last resort to get something done, save something or retrieve something that just deserved a heart felt KISS.

For me I work on call on rotation and a few weeks ago over the holiday's I decided NOT to take my work pc laptop home but keep it powered on the network (Win7). I run Win7 on my Mac via VMWare Fusion. One of the executives had an issue where he just received a laptop at work, logged in & out, then left overseas to Africa - forgetting his password. On Top of this his BB died showing the Java Error 507 - which requires loading the OS. For some reason the machine did NOT have his local profile and he needed access to his documents on a machine that was online at work. The REAL stinker was that local IT was minimal (holiday's) and was not reachable.

AT this location no spare BB where on hand and a back-order for stock for local carrier. I wiped my current BB 9700 clean using Desktop Manager for Mac on my AluMB; activated it via RDP within Fusion to our BES and then shipped it express to West Africa in Mauritania. That was the easy part - I could do without remote email access since I have Office 2011 on my Mac Mini at home. 4 days later BB arrived on site with data working - roaming costs be damned at this point.

Although I was able to connect to our servers from Fusion I did NOT have access to my PC at work, could not access my Win7 work laptop (thanks firewall and AD policy's; Win7 is not our standard yet XP is), and I did NOT have Office nor OCS installed on my MacBook in VMWare. I Did have OCS for Mac installed and was able to reach one of the infrastructure team. I guided the executive to logon to localadmin - send an invite to remote control the PC while using the BB as a modem. I was able to control his PC, install the VPN profile (which should've been there from the image), and setup connection and switch user while VPN'd into the network. Once he was able to logon, lock PC & unlock to ensure cached credentials he was able to logon under his OWN logon. Network drives had a problem, updated his "hosts" file and worked after reconnection (gpupdate /sync or /force didn't work).

This was fine an dandy EXCEPT his profile was migrated from an arcane z account to our standard dmonroe (first initial/lastname for an id). I could not find the ticket history and due to GPO or other infrastructure implementation I could NOT access AD via VMWare - since my virtual Win7 is NOT joined to the domain; I could do this as I have access but I don't wish to be in serious trouble doing so). Let's just say although the network share was available there was NO data in it - and with no knowledge of previous profile my infrastructure colleague couldn't dig for it without one to find out.

This is where I was able to KISS my MAC! He DID have his iPhone on him ... gave me his credentials to his iDisk which I created on my MacBook. I then connected to his old laptop that was online and although I found out his logon ID (the only one on that machine), he didn't know his password for me to logon as that ID and retrieve the path to his original network shares (previously done with a logon script, we now use a kix file: which has no previous user id setup for him). No access to AD, I then copied all his documents to my Fusion installation, shared the disks with OS X, then uploaded to iDisk - all within 1 hour. FINALLY he ad access to his documents and was able to forward them for colleagues that arrived on site the next day able to edit and share them with team members. I did delete the iDisk account, logged off and I swear ... I KISSED my Mac.

When & what happened to you where your Mac just deserved a KISS?! Please share.

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow. I think this is pushing it a bit.
    Have you recently bought your Mac or something? :rolleyes:

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

4. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

careful your Mac does not cheat on you and take you for 1/2 + Alimony :cool:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

ahhh no.

I do not emote any sort of Love towards a non living, man made thing.

Yeah, some apple products fill a need, but as soon as they don't, I'll buy something that does.

To put it another way, I love God, I love my wife, my children, and others that I have a relationship with. Computers, by the very fact that they are tools mean that I have no love for them.

Moving on to the kissing part, well that's weird and kind of creepy at the same time.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Sounds as if the IT team should be shot. They forgot a local profile, a VPN profile, didn't check the machine as it was leaving, and weren't able to reset a password.

7. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

"We" did?

8. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

1. if the profile is NOT on the laptop - resetting the password does NOT help, especially if your a) not connected to the network, and b) no VPN to cache credentials.

2. The issue with a) forgeting local profile was it was a LAST minute request - we backed up his old laptop the night before since we where going to upgrade him anyway - but we were NOT informed by assistant/hr that he would be replacing another of his colleagues to travel early morning. Support team consists of 4 of us ONLY divided by 200+ users; company is growing at an alarming rate and we do PRETTY well especially for laptop, ad, local profile, network share, prep CISCO phone & VM from scratch and private share permissions with less than 3hrs warning at most times. The user logged onto the WRONG laptop while at my colleagues desk - when he was on a phone getting a dell support order for a display - behind him. User was at fault here, talked to someone else.

3. the VPN profile ... well most of the laptops have it and its a simple file we can send via email/OCS or other means - but cannot if no profile, no lan (wlan is setup at this site; a recent acquisition, than our headquarters), and no VPN.

9. DeepIn2U thread starter macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

man you guys are tough. "we" as in macrumors thread participants; well the majority. cut me a bit of slack please?

So what's your storey?

Kissing an inanimate object is NOT creepy - not on a 1 off, but daily/consistently then yes. Kids do it all the time for probably similar reasons. I find ppl that force others off a sidewalk to make room for a dog rude - and I own 2. Many ppl treat relationships with their pets better than those of other humans.

I was brought up early as a Christian - but with many faiths around the world (each to their own) claiming their "dieity" as being foremost and the ONLY ONE - I find any being made by man - only written as a scripture; but that's all I'll comment on that before insulting or hurting others choices which they have a right to.

10. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Just don't take out your weewee and get naughty, okay?

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I don't kiss my computers.

12. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

I can see the microsoft fanboys coming.
    Ps. I love my apple products

13. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

Dude, it's a logic board, some RAM, a hard drive and a display. It's just wrapped in a pretty way.

14. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

My iMac cheated on me. It put his power cord in to a PC's USB 3.0 port. And the PC didn't use protection; luckily, my Mac, which can't get PC virus', split up as soon and it found out that it had HIV (Horrible Input virus).

15. Joewebster macrumors member

I've never really felt the need. I kissed my netbook when I had first gotten it and I thought I scratched it. I was being satirical though.

16. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Haven't kissed it as I would probably get shocked.

I show my MBP my love as I have a hell of a protective arsenal for this thing. It looks like a standard, casual nylon bag...but trust me, I take big precautions. This ain't your grandmother's laptop bag! I am not exaggerating...my bag is actually made by a company that produces products for law enforcement, military, and emergency service usage and are designed to be outright abused and used in the worst of the worst conditions. It is made of ballistic Nylon, Kevlar, Nomex, and a bunch of other materials you wouldn't think would be used in a laptop bag. This thing means business. It is water-proof, lightly fire-proof, shock-resistant to some odd rating (like 23 foot vertical fall IIRC), tear proof, puncture proof, has some rating to being shot (which I think would still harm a laptop due to kinetic energy), has an approved built in locker storage system for a firearm, has a GPS chip in it (which I have no idea who I would go to if I needed to locate it...), and has a bunch of other compartments I use for various things other than what they were designed for. I really like my computer and you can't be too careful these days. Why? Because you never know when a flood, earthquake, mudslide, volcano, momentary loss of gravity, shower of bullets, throwing knives, aftershock, 2012 end of the world, or any other highly probable event will occur on Maryland public transportation or in a government office these days. :cool:

I use this thing for personal, work, research/publishing, and social use. If I so wanted, I could have 2 other MBPs for me that I could use for the respective organizations I represent, but why? This thing works great, is easy to move around, and I LOVE having everything on one machine. Having just this is really nice when you are walking a few miles and spending 45 minutes on public transit...especially since I do have some physical disabilities, which (when having a flare) make carrying a lot of weight really hard. Technically, I even take a slight professional risk using my own machine, as if data is lost due to it, I could be in HUUUUUGE trouble, but I trust the combo of both my and this computer's capability. Some data, I'm not legally allowed to use on an outside computer (I could in theory be in major legal trouble for this), but I rarely work with that type of information so thus far, it hasn't posed a challenge.

As far as coming through, it has ALWAYS come through and that is something that has spoiled me and is also why I can tell everyone that 'hell yeah it's worth every friggin' penny!'. This was strengthened after seeing an Air suffer no functional damage after it really went Air-Borne and had a not so 'light' of a landing on solid concrete that was anything than a 'pro'-formance.