Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
Hello all. The other day I ran into Anna Paquin (of X-Men and The Piano fame) at a rehearsal studio in NYC. Which prompted me to post this question:

Have you ever met any celebrities? If so, post their pics!

EDIT: I should also say I've run into the following:
Donald Sutherland (at my brother's college Senior Prom!)
Diane Wiest (on the street in NYC)
Elijah Wood (on the street in NYC)
Mark Hamill (on the street in NYC)
Stanley Tucci (in Central Park, NYC)
Natalie Portman (in Central Park also)
Tony Kushner (at college)
Jimmy Smits (at college)
John Cleese (college also)
Jeremy Irons (at NY City Opera)
Stephen Sondheim (several times in NYC)
Elaine Paige (at NY City Opera)
Rebecca Romjin (on the street in NYC)
Scott Glenn (sitting across from me on the subway)
Cindy Lauper (on the street in NYC)
Tony Curtis (on the street in NYC)
Paul Schaeffer (eating with Richard Belzer in a restaurant in NYC)

And I'm sure there's more I can't think of right now...

Here's Ms. Paquin:

Attachments

• buffalo_Soldiers_04.jpg
    buffalo_Soldiers_04.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 639

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i've met my share of famous people, but no celebs i'm afraid. i don't get outside the midwest much, and celebs don't come in much ;)

anna paquin tho... she's a pretty good actress...

paul

leftbanke7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2004
West Valley City, Utah
Nobody outside of local fame and even then they were only so-so famous. Hopefully when I get my degree and start doing movies (whether it be making them or just grunt labor), I'll run into some famous people.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Uh, did you actually "meet" them and talk to them? Or did you just "see" them?

I've met and chatted with:

John Astin
Patty Duke Astin
Johnathan Harris (RIP)
John Glenn
Gerald Ford
John Travolta
Russell Johnson
Sheila James (Zelda Gilroy on "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis", now Sheila Kuhl, CA State Senator)
Ex-CA Governor Pete Wilson (ok, maybe that doesn't count) :p

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
I talked to Yevgeny Primakov for a couple minutes. . . OK. I'll be honest. Even if you were Russian you wouldn't be impressed. He was only prime minister for like six months.

About six years ago I worked in a bookstore and I was carrying a load up books up some stairs when who should appear at the top of the stairs but Chelsea Clinton. She waited until I got to the top of the stairs and then smiled as I got out of her way so she could go down the stairs.

OK. I got nothing.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
voicegy said:
Uh, did you actually "meet" them and talk to them? Or did you just "see" them?

Good point. I actually spoke with Stanley Tucci, Tony Kushner, Jimmy Smits, John Cleese, Stephen Sondheim, and Scott Glenn. All the others I was in close proximity to (3 or 4 feet) and made some kind of eye contact. I was in the elevator with Tony Curtis, though!

EDIT: OOh, I forgot to mention Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead series) whom I spoke to at a book signing at Borders (at the World Trade Center about 4 weeks before 9/11 :( )

EDIT #2: I also shook Sylvester Stallone's hand when I was 3 years old!

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Shania

I met Shania Twain a couple of years ago. I was *cough* getting an autograph for my little sister. She is very tiny.

Was on the same plane as Huey Lewis flying from San Fran to Vegas. He was playing Caesar's Palace for the Millenium.

Attachments

• me and the ex again.jpg
    me and the ex again.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 428

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
Brad Pitt is cheap

Oh and I was in the same cab as Brad Pitt in Vegas. Not at the same time but the driver said he had him in there a few weeks before. He also said that I tipped better.

coopdog

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2002
The Great Midwest
We were going to host a party for Hugo Chavez (I believe) along with, a past prime minister of Isreal (I want to say Perez) and a president from some other country at my house. It got close but never worked out. It was going to be a small dinner banquet thing 50 people or so. But later they changed it to more people.

I saw Elisha Cuthbert she's the girl on 24. Up at a ski resort here in Utah.

When I was buying a suit The Fonz from Happy Days was buying a suit also.

Bush has driven past my house and had dinner at my neighbors house.

Thats about it.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 23, 2002
coopdog said:
Bush has driven past my house and had dinner at my neighbors house.

Bush... as in President Dubya? That's pretty big. Are your neighbors friends, or big donors, or suspected terrorists? ;)

poopyhead

macrumors 6502a
I met Ben Jones
Cooter from the Dukes of Hazard
when he was running for political office in Georgia during the early '80s
I've also met Zell Miller (before he switched), newt gingrich (when he was on his first marriage), Maynord Jackson, Andy Young, and various other Georgia Democrats and a few republicans.

I also attended the College where one of the jumps in the opening scenes and other parts of the Dukes of Hazard were filmed and where parts of In the Heat of the Night were filmed.
It kicked ass to be in the footsteps of such greatness

and Ted Kennedy
and Ted Turner

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Well, I met Lynn Swann when I was 10, I guess he could be considered a celebrity...

Oh, and I rode an elevator with Linda Blair and didn't know it until I saw her hosting the awards ceremony I had come to see. I suppose if she had turned her head 180 degrees I would have noticed. :D

And, at the same ceremony I got to meet James Cromwell (Farmer Hoggett in "Babe"). And Gillian Anderson was nearby, but she was surrounded by fans and photographers so I didn't bother. :rolleyes:

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
I met Sarah Jessica Parker at the first showing of 'Seussical', which sucked btw.

That just about does it for me..... I think.

scem0

phonemonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2004
Virginia
poopyhead said:
I met Ben Jones
Cooter from the Dukes of Hazard
when he was running for political office in Georgia during the early '80s

I too had the pleasure of meeting Ben Jones. He played at our county fair 2 years ago with his band, nice fellow

I have also met:
Charles Barkley
Charles Oakley
Tom Gugliotta
Muggsey Bogues
Bernard King
Chris Webber
Juwan Howard
and lots more nba stars

Cal Ripken Jr.
Mickey Hammonds
and I went to school with a girl named Kyleen Waldo who was a backup for the girl who had the lead in the movie Prancer.

estlin

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2003
I retouched the headshot of Balky (Bronson Pinchot of Perfect Strangers) and got to talk to him, he's a very nice and funny guy.
Talked to Halle Berry's assistant with Halle standing next to her, but she wouldn't even look my way...damn!
Met Lavar Burton who's a friend of a friend.
Kind of talked to Elijah Wood in a theatre, asked him "are those seats taken?", hehe...
Oh and almost ran over Andy Dick, and wish I had.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
3rdpath said:
...since i don't watch many movies or much tv, my wife usually has to tell me who the people were that i've been talking to

Oh, so maybe it's because I'm not married yet that I think I haven't met any celebrities :)

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I can't tell you how many celebs I've met/spoke to/worked with - it just sounds too much like I'm blowing my own trumpet, or something. You could easily run it into the hundreds...

My dad, however (who was also a cameraman), once gave me a fantastic piece of advice that I'll carry with me for the rest of my life:

"Treat Royalty like ordinary people, and ordinary people like Royalty - and you won't go wrong."

So - the NEXT question should be:

"What exactly MAKES a celebrity, anyway?!?"

Reactions: kazmac

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
talked with kathy valentine (go gos) and kelley johnson (girlschool) when they were in a band together, talked with steve wynn of dream syndicate, talked with alan jardine of beach boys, worked at hardware store and waited on alan shepard, david packard, joan fontaine, and doris day

...and saw many others but i live in resort town that had clint eastwood as mayor once so it's not unusual to see someone famous from time to time

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
ive met yogi berra (he lives in my town, and I worked at a stadium named after him in town), and carly simon on a ferry to martha's vineyard.

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
sean lennon (son of john) pushed me at a concert, and one time marisa tomei asked me for directions.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I live in Chelsea, Michigan - so does Jeff Daniels.

Just about everyone in this town has met him, so its really not a big deal to us.

For whatever reason, he's not the most pleasant guy - and alot taller than most people think.

haha I remember one time when I used to work at a local department store, he came in and bought some groceries. Well, he left without taking his stuff (?? I dunno either...)

About 10 minutes later, his wife calls and says "Hi, this is Mrs. Daniels, Jeff's wife... Jeff forgot his things and he is very upset, it would be nice if you would meet him outside with his things."

Sorry Jeff - like any other customer, Im afraid youre just going to have to come in to get your stuff ;)

ebow

macrumors 6502a
Does Geoff Marcy count? He leads a team of astronomers who have found a large number of the extra-solar planets discovered so far. (I guess if I have to explain who he is, he's probably not much of a "celeb" outside of astronomy/planetary science. ;) )

Bill Cosby spoke at my college graduation, and shook everyone's hands as we came up for our diplomas. So I guess I met him.

Friends and family in NYC see celebrities all the time. I honestly don't think I'd recognize most if I were to see them.

ExoticFish

macrumors 6502a
Well first and foremost i talked to THE MIGHTY WIL WHEATON! He's a real nice guy, i talked to him at a convention in Pasadena (man is that one nice city) with a friend of mine and we kept running into him and by the time it was over we were joking about "who was stalking who where?".

Anywho, I've also met and talked to:

Actors:
* Alan Ruck

Musicians:
* Scot Lucas & Brian St.Clair from Local-H, great guys they are
* Art and the rest of the guys from Everclear, Art is a snot but the rest of the guys are real cool and funny.
* the lead singer from Lit, my friend actually talked to his mom on the phone while he signed autographs for us
* all the guys from Oleander
* all the guys from Finger Eleven
... i go to a lot of concerts, i've met a lot of other people from bands but they're all bands you've never heard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.