Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Hi,

I met Michael Jackson in Las Vegas. When he showed up a lot of people started screaming and running after him, but his security didn't let anybody come really close. I just stood there in Caesars Palace and he walked very close by me. In fact he really looks terrible ! :eek: His face is unbelievable ugly !

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Hmmm - one EMBARRASSING turn of events springs to my mind, that I just had to relate to you...

It was around 1997, and I was filming the English Rugby team training on a playing field just outside London - in a rainstorm. Nice. I'm saturated, and looking like a wet sheep, covered in mud. Suddenly, my phone rang - the assignment desk wanted me to relocate to another job.

"Quick - you've got to go to Oxford Street in the city, to film the Queen unveilling a statue."

"Okay - I've just got to go via my house and pick up my suit. It won't take long."

"No - there's NO TIME! You HAVE to go NOW!!"

(Obviously, the job had been "overlooked", and I'd inadvertedly drawn the short straw...)

"By the way - you'll be doing the INSIDE pool camera, whilst Associated Press will be covering the OUTSIDE..."

Great.

So - I eventually get there through dismal traffic, yet still with a little time to spare. Through the police metal detectors I traversed with my equipment - no easy task when you're working on your own...

The bemused looks from the police aimed at my clothing (now CAKED in drying mud) were soon understood when I made my way into the courtyard. I surveyed the scene to find my worst nightmare had come true - Dante had HIS interpretation of Hell, and THIS was mine...

EVERYONE - and I MEAN EVERYONE - were dressed in FORMAL attire. Men in Morning suits, complete with Top hats and cravattes, and women in elegant formal dresses. And, in the middle of it all, there I was in Vans and Cargo pants.

I scanned quickly for the AP cameraman. There he was - his suited form snuggled next to a bush, and his Betacam at the ready on its tripod. It had just started to drizzle, so I had a plan...

"G'day mate. I was wondering if we could swap - me out here in the downpour [it was going to dump down in a minute, and I was hoping I could appeal to his instinct to stay dry], and you in the nice warmth of inside. I mean, LOOK at ME. My desk really stitched me up on this one..."

"Sorry, pal. You've made your bed - you LIE in it."

Jerk.

So, I thought, SCREW it. I walked inside, set up a light and my camcorder in the corner (hopefully out the way of eye-shot), and waited...

Eventually, the Queen arrived, and unveiled the statue outside. Then, she made her way inside, flanked by her entourage. From there, she shook hands with dignitaries and guests alike who had formed a line at the entranceway. I had a great view - yet no-one had really noticed me (maybe they thought if they didn't see me, then I'd never existed, or something like that...).

Waiting in the wings was the sculptor of the statue, who met the Queen, and guided her to a miniature mock-up of the said statue which resided on a small turntable. They stood not more than 15 feet away - the Queen glancing over it, as the sculptor explained his motivation (yawn!). After a minute, or so, the party moved away - I let them move out of frame before cutting. With that, I took the camera off the tripod, and placed it on the ground. It was then that I noticed a pair of women's shoes pointing directly at me, stopped no more than 2 feet away from my head...

I slowly rose - and to my horror, as different parts of the woman in question came into view (knees, floral dress, handbag, gloves...), I'd instantly realised who I was confronted with, even though I'd hoped, in vain, to be wrong. Soon, the Queen and I were eye-to-eye - but not for long. Her eyes began wandering - tilting down to my dirt-encased Clydesdale Horse-style shoes, and back up to my matted and sodden hair. An eternity ensued, as she stood there, looking as if she was waiting for something. I'd become conscious as to how silent the room had fallen, and felt that I needed to explain myself. So, I said the first thing that came into my head...

"G'day. How're you doin'?"

If any of you had seen "My Fair Lady", think back to the scene where Eliza goes to Royal Ascot. "C'MON, DOVER! MOVE YER BLOOMIN' ARSE!!!"

Same reaction.

After gasped breaths from the gallery, the Queen, unmoved by my colonial antipodean twang and uncouthness, smiled and said:

"I'm fine, thank you. How are you?"

"Oh, FINE, thanks." (The Homer Simpson "D'oh!" was still echoing in my empty melon...)

"That's nice", she said, before tottering off.

"Whew! Got away with THAT one, all right", I'd thought. I guessed that I'd better leave before I could get into any MORE trouble. I'd guessed wrong.

A bizarre-looking woman with a HUGE bright red feathery boa, and a face to match, came STORMING up to me as I started packing up my gear.

"How DARE you talk to the Queen like that. Don't you REALISE that you're not permitted to converse with the Queen unless SHE addresses you FIRST?!? And - and - LOOK at the way you're dressed. It's a DISGRACE!! (...Blah! Blah! Blah!...) I'm already composing a STRONG letter of complaint to your employer. What organization do you work for?!?"

It didn't take me long to think about the answer...

"Associated Press", I said, before exiting - Stage Left.

;)

macka

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2004
'stralia
I'm apparently related to Mel Gibson in a retarded way, in that his nephew Nick Gibson was my dad's second cousin's daughter's son...or something like that.

Pretty neat. :cool:

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I've met

Renee Zellweger - well I stood near her when she was filming in London.
Eric Sardinas - guitarist. At a Steve Vai gig where he was the support. I met him in the bar afterwards.
Peter Beardsley - footballer - at Kings Cross station
Rory McGrath - bloke off of 'They think it's all over...' - on a train to Cambridge
Lenny Henry - comedian - standing at a motorway service station urinal - Yes...I've had a p*ss standing next to Lenny Henry-
David Trimble - Northern Irish MP - Charing Cross Road, London

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi Kiwi_the_iwik,

thats a great story and I had to laugh a lot. Did that really happen or have you just watch a Mr. Bean story ?

Cheers

Nope - it's true.

I've become somewhat of a folk-hero in camera circles around London because of it, too...

In fact - one of our crews went to film an interview with Prince Charles once - and he recounted the story to the crew as they were getting ready, as a bit of chit-chat. He thought it was hilarious that the crew he'd been chatting to actually were my workmates!

Apparently, "Mumsie" was very amused.

And NOW, I can actually say that my reputation precedes me!

:)

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Clint Mansell (Singer, composer, I was standing next to him in the gents at a PWEI gig in '95, diamond geezer)

Midge Ure (Singer, songwriter, met him many a time)

Mike Mills (R.E.M.'s bass player, shared a beer with him at the bar in Dingwalls in Camden at a Ken Stringfello gig in '01)

The Duran boys @ The Groucho

Malcolm Garrett (my old boss and design superstar)

Anna Friel (Actress, one of my mates is her mates, shared a few beers in the White Horse in Soho)

Gary Numan, (Filter gig at the Astoria)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi,

I met Michael Jackson in Las Vegas. When he showed up a lot of people started screaming and running after him, but his security didn't let anybody come really close. I just stood there in Caesars Palace and he walked very close by me. In fact he really looks terrible ! :eek: His face is unbelievable ugly !

my condolences.

evoluzione

macrumors 68020
oh, and i went to school with Paula Radcliffe (women's world record holder for the marathon among other long distance records). knew her bro Martin better than her though...also went to school with Oliver Gavin (not sure what class he drives in these days if at all), Matt Oakley (who set up the winning goal for Everton again Man United in the FA Cup Final!), a guy that played rugby for England (can't remember his name now, oops). Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards I've met, he knows my Stepfather.

3rdpath

macrumors 68000
hey kiwi...that's a great story.

i've got a couple of stories.

once i was working with this female singer/songwriter. towards the end of the session her cell phone rang and she said her boyfriend was down at the end of my driveway outside the gate. i told her to tell him to wait...i didn't want anyone killing the vibe while we punched the last vocal fixes. so we get back to work and about 20 minutes later we're done. we walk down my drive to the gate and theres this guy looking a little forlorn, sitting in the dark on a small pile of bricks...she introduces me to her boyfriend frank darabont. they left and i came inside and asked the mrs why his name sounded so familiar. she informs me that he's the director of the shawshank redemption ( and later the green mile)...i was impressed by his humility knowing the amount of "suck-up" a director gets...

another time, my wife and i attended a friend's dinner party. it was a big table of people and i had a great time talking to this lady named jennifer sitting to my left. she was quite nice. so on the way home my wife and i are talking about the party and i say " i wonder what jennifer does"...my wife just sighed and said " she's on a series called Alias..."

like i said, i'm clueless.

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I met/worked with loads of muso types when I was engineering in the studios in London, Bowie, Kate Bush, Robert Plant, Tack>>head, Henry Rollins, L7.... loads more, I once fell over Van Morrison in Notting Hill, he was sitting on the kerb and I went arse over tit... :D

My Uni has studios on the Ealing film studios lot, and we see a whole bunch of movie people, Lucas and the Star Wars crew have done a lot of interiors and blue screen stuff there. I sat opposite Julia Roberts in the canteen one lunch-time and didn't recognise her till she asked me to pass the salt... I spoke to the cameraman on the shoot (Notting Hill strangely) and he reckoned she only looks like Julia Roberts through a camera lense... :p

On a completely obscure note, I was at school with Blaze Bailey of Wolfsbane and Iron Maiden, the British touring car driver Kalvin Burt lived in my road when he was a baby, he used to peddle round in this little red peddle-car telling everyone he was going to be a racing driver when he grew up...

I was at college with Kate Lonergan who played Maid Marion in the kiddies BBC show Maid Marion and her Merry Men...

But my real claim to fame was bumping into the then Leicester Tigers captain Martin Johnson in Leicester just before he became the England Rugby captain, and we all know what a complete balls-up he made of that... The man is huge.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
closest I ever came to meeting one was I went to university and was friends with a girl that was the girlfriend of this guy wayne who was a longtime friend of jim carrey. I never met jim but I saw plenty of pics with jim and wayne together. my friend met jim a few times though.

does that count? :eek:

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
evoluzione said:
Liv Tyler (I drank her cup of tea as she had to leave before she could drink it)

Damn You! You've met Liv Tyler? :eek:

Liv Tyler is Awesome! :D

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Hung out with the guys from Incubus for about 45 minutes in New Olreans. The coolest, most down to earth guys I've ever met.

Shared an elevator with Madnonna in NYC.

Bumped into Geena Davis, Dennis Miller, and Troy Aikman in the Bellagio in Las Vegas.

Sat next to G.E. Smith (ex Sat. Night Live band guy) in a movie theater in South Hampton.

Me, my brother, and my Uncle were having breakfast in Trump International in NYC, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a really hip looking guy sit down at the table right behind us. I got up from the table to go get something out of my uncle's apartment upstairs, and my chair *slammed* into the hip guy's table. I turn around to say I'm sorry, and it was effing Liam Gallagher looking back up at me. I'm a pretty huge Oasis fan, and I was just dumb struck. I said, "uh.....sorry man" in a feeble little voice. He said "No worries mate" and conitued to eat his food.

My fam was going out to Orso in New York, and I decided to stay in. Of course when they get there, at the table next to them is Jimmy Page. It might be a good thing I didn't go, because I would have hated to pass out and cause a scene in the resturaunt.

My dad shared an elevator with Gwyenth Paltrow.

My dad almost knocked Jimmy Smits down after they collided on the street. He was super nice and said he was sorry a million times.

Saw James Brown standing on the corner trying to catch a cab.

My mom ran into a store to buy something, and I sat in the car. I see her standing in line, with two guys behind her. Somehoe a display gets knocked over, and my mom turns around to0 help them pick it up. It's Steven Speilburg and Mike Myers.

My uncle just had lunch with Salma Hayeck, I'm hoping to get to meet her when I'm in LA this summer.

Having fam in New York and LA, you see lots of celebs.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Little Buddy...

I've met and spoken with a few celebrities over the years, but the only one who made a real difference in my life was Gilligan (Bob Denver). He was signing autographs at a boat show a few years ago, which is a pretty cool place to meet Gilligan if you think about it. I asked Gilligan if I should name my new boat "The S.S. Minnow II" which is a question I'm sure he has never fielded before. He looked at me blankly for about a minute and then said "No, find another name." So I called it something else and a little while later he was busted for pot possession.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i am the founder and president of the ppp. not to mention being close with all the highest ranking members of said party

if there's one thing that's better than meeting a celeb, it's being one

i am also fred and ben (kevin arnold and cory from bmw) savage's brother. unfortunately, they got all the looks in the family

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
I've ran into countless celebrities over the years (I live in LA), but I've only spoken to one. Elizabeth Berkeley (Showgirls) once asked me what time it was.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I was at this Indian restaurant, Akbars over on Wilshire Blvd during the weekend with my bro and his friend. Anyway, in the table behind us was sitting none other than the actor John Saxson. He played the dad in Nightmare in Elm Street. Saxson is also best known as "Roper" from Enter the Dragon which is imho the best kung fu movie ever. I did not bother him during his dinner because I have too much respect for the man. But being in the same place as someone who co-starred with Bruce Lee was pretty exciting if you ask me.

What was weird about the whole scenario is that my last name is Lee, my brother's friends name happens to be Han (the name of the bad guy in Enter the Dragon). What is the chance of Lee, Han and Roper being in the same place at the same time?

What I should of told Mr Saxon is, "I look forward to a dinner of epic portions...Gentlemen you have my gratitude!"

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
I've met (some v.briefly!):
Kylie Minogue (now she's tiny)
Hale & Pace (british comedians)
Tiff Needell (british tv presenter and racing driver)
Jeremy Clarkson (british tv presenter)
Stirling Moss (racing driver)
Damon Hill (formula 1 driver)
Chris Blair (not really a celeb, but he's mastered some huge albums)
Lenny Henry (UK comedian)
Philip Schofield (uk tv presenter)
Rick Astley (80s Pop star)
Chris Moyles (radio one dj turned tv presenter)
Judge Jules (dj)
Carl Cox (dj)
Billy Talent (canadian band)
Brandon Boyd (Incubus' front man)
Daniel Beddingfield
*Countless* minor christian celebrities but they're hardly celebrities!

I've been in the same room as/within a few metres of:
Pink
Marc & Lard (radio one djs)
Trevor Nelson (radio one dj/tv presenter)

I know personally:
Susanne Manning (from the latest Pop Idol in the UK, she was in the last 5!)
Jon Thatcher (from Delirious - a more major christian celebrity)
Stu G (as above)

no-one massively impressive, but fame/celebrity status is completely subjective really!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.