Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I wonder...

Am I the only person here ever to have been on national (US) TV? I got my face plastered all over Good Morning America on a ****ing freezing Friday morning in Dec. 1997 playing some Tubachristmas music for the show. So we're playing Jingle Bells, and the camera guy kneels down to my left, and gets reeaaly close, even moving the stand a little while my cousin wasn't looking :D
That afternoon, my aunt, who was living in Cali at the time, called our house and said she saw me, even though she had no advance warning ;)

I know this guy, and I've also met/talked with Dan Perantoni (another tuba player :rolleyes: ). That's about though, seeing as NO ONE comes to this area. Well, a short clip of Dumb and Dumber was shot on a street next to the reservoir in my town, but I wasn't there at the time. I can also explain why that shot was out of sequence in the movie if you want ;)

Other.au

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2004
Sydney Aus
Note: I am only 17 years old.

I have met:

Bill Gates (4 days ago)
John Howard (Prime minister of australia) (PM = President)
Whoopy Gholberg. (however u spell it)
Ali G (out in the australian desert - odd eh?)
Robocop
Leighten Hewert (World #1 Tennis Player)
Jana Wendt (Famous Ausi Newsreader)

Cant think of any more, but im sure theres quite a few to go.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Other.au said:
Note: I am only 17 years old.
Leighten Hewert (World #1 Tennis Player)

It's "Lleyton Hewitt" and he's #10, not #1. He has only been ranked #1 in 2001. There's a certain Swiss player (Roger Federer) who'd be ticked that you don't consider him #1. (Plus 2 Americans, 2 Spainards, 2 Argentinians, 1 German, and 1 Englishman-- all of whom are seated before Hewitt.)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Xenious said:
I met Jack Black on a flight from London to Chicago. I also met Steve Howe (of Yes fame) at an album signing.

For here today, gone tomorrow famous people I used to hang out with the band the Nixons whenever they played Tulsa, OK. There were a really friendly group. At one show the bar decided not to let anyone in under 21. Zac tried to tell them that my friend was his brother and that their mom would be pissed if he couldn't come in and watch the show. That didn't work either. So since the guys were on stage in front of a big glass window open to the street, they would turn around sometimes and perform facing us as we sat outside on the veranda area.
-jim
Cool! Very nice what the band did.

Sushi

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
OB

While not a celeb, I met a rather famous person some years ago.

His name was Omar Bradley.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/omarnels.htm

It was quite an honor to meet and have a short chat with him.

He is one of 9 men who have attained the rank of 5-Stars.

Oh, and I have partied a bit with Duran Duran in Seoul Korea when they were there on tour there. Met EJ, members of Kansas & ELO during my college days. Oh, and got an autograph from Smokey Robinson while he was here in Japan.

Went on set for the Japan soap opera called, "Tokyo Elevator Girls", and met the 4 main stars (2 ladies and 2 guys). I was fortunate to be able to stand by and observe the director filming an episode.

Met Yokozuna Akebono:

http://photojpn.org/exp/sumo/ake.html

...and Yokozuna Musahimaru (Neat person):

http://www.chijanofuji.com/Musashimaru1.html

...and Ozeki Konishiki (Funny, smart, and huge):

http://www.costnet.com/konishiki.htm

To see him in person, is quite an experience. Much different than merely looking at his pictures. He was huge -- like a wall -- during his sumo days. Now he is like a big teddy bear. Very popular in Japan these days.

Unfortunately for him, he was rather outspoken which limited him to the rank of Ozeki. He should have been awarded the rank of Yokozuna, but that is another story. He was the first US sumo wrestler and he paved the way for his fellow Hawaiian's Akebono and Musahimaru.

Sushi

Neserk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2004
I met Al Gore. I *saw* Richard Lewis in a parking Garage on Rodeo Drive!

MetallicPenguin

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2003
NC, USA
I have to say, I don't think I've met any celebrities. I'd like to meet Donald Sutherland, funny looking man (especially in 'Salem's Lot, hahah). :D

plus_c

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2004
My list of celebrities I've met is very short compared to everyone else's here, but here goes...

I met Fred Gallagher and his wife Sarah (of Megatokyo fame) at an anime convention in February. At the same anime convention, I also met Ian from Mac Hall.

I met Liane Hansen, host of Weekend Edition Sunday, last Friday. She's got an incredible story, and is a really good journalist to boot. I'd have met Bob Edwards already, but he's away from the NPR studios promoting his book.

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
Counterfit said:
I wonder...

Am I the only person here ever to have been on national (US) TV? I got my face plastered all over Good Morning America on a ****ing freezing Friday morning in Dec. 1997 playing some Tubachristmas music for the show. So we're playing Jingle Bells, and the camera guy kneels down to my left, and gets reeaaly close, even moving the stand a little while my cousin wasn't looking :D
That afternoon, my aunt, who was living in Cali at the time, called our house and said she saw me, even though she had no advance warning ;)

I know this guy, and I've also met/talked with Dan Perantoni (another tuba player :rolleyes: ). That's about though, seeing as NO ONE comes to this area. Well, a short clip of Dumb and Dumber was shot on a street next to the reservoir in my town, but I wasn't there at the time. I can also explain why that shot was out of sequence in the movie if you want ;)

I have been on local TV a few times (from the time I was about 8 up til about 3 weeks ago), as well as the Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, and CNN.

I hope to speak to GW Bush Friday morning (I am going to a town-hall meeting at my college.....it is intended for his supporters, but thanks to a computer error, I am currently a registered Republican instead of a Green).....I can only hope that I have the chance to ask him a question.....*evil laugh*

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
jrv3034 said:
EDIT #2: I also shook Sylvester Stallone's hand when I was 3 years old!

My brother took a wiz by Stallone in a movie theater. :D But I don't think that imparts any coolness on me what-so-ever. In fact, it might make me less cool.

I jamed with Hootie and the Blowfish in Columbia before they got big. Again, I feel less cool just sharing that. :eek:

Oooo, I actually have a couple I'm proud of. I interviewed Ben Folds for a newspaper article. Also Stephen King. Both were good hour-long interviews. I'm sure neither of them would remember me in a lineup. jhd

superninjagoat

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2004
Apex, N.C
Counterfit said:
I wonder...

A kid was shot at my high school (didn't die) in '93. Ever the journalist, I took notes and a couple pictures. After they cleared the school, the cops let me stay on the inside so long as I didn't get in the way. I ended up being the media liaison to the local affiliate TV and later the interview was picked up on NBC's nightly news as part of a (cue deep voice) "Violence in schools. Could this be happening in your community?” This was before Columbine, so it was really a minor story. But there I was.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I've met and chatted to the Late Earl Spencer (Princess Di's dad).

On a slightly less cool note i've also met Charlie Dimmock and Bob Carolgees (only UK members will get that one)....i'm not proud.

norinradd

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2004
Essex, England
Bob..the legend of tiswas? fantastic

Met David "Darth Vader" Prowse in a toyshop just after Empire strikes back came out sat on his knee and had me photo taken(6 or 7 years old at the time!)

also Griff rhys jones in the Trocadero sweet shop

and Mark owen from take that at the v festival

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
pinto32 said:
I have been on local TV a few times (from the time I was about 8 up til about 3 weeks ago), as well as the Discovery Channel, Travel Channel, and CNN.

I hope to speak to GW Bush Friday morning (I am going to a town-hall meeting at my college.....it is intended for his supporters, but thanks to a computer error, I am currently a registered Republican instead of a Green).....I can only hope that I have the chance to ask him a question.....*evil laugh*
Ooo, cable... I've been one (three?) upped :D

and go get 'im!

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
i have had a handshake with Bill Clinton before (he had a very weak shake...). He loves to make it to the local golf club a few times a year and i just happened to be there the same day. Dont think he has made it out there this year though. I have also hung out with John Defrancisco before (ny state senator). He visits central ny quite often. I have also met up with Gov. George Pataki before.

They are not really celebs but they are just as important i guess...

[edit: ah yes i have also shook Clinton's hand at the ny state fair as well....it was kinda funny. It was a only a few days after our meeting at the golf club]

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
norinradd said:
Bob..the legend of tiswas? fantastic

Met David "Darth Vader" Prowse in a toyshop just after Empire strikes back came out sat on his knee and had me photo taken(6 or 7 years old at the time!)

also Griff rhys jones in the Trocadero sweet shop

and Mark owen from take that at the v festival

My fiance has also had her picture taken sitting on the knee of Bruno Brooks for the Radio Times when she was younger......we just revel in our crap celebrity shoulder rubbing :)

nef919

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2003
UCNJ
Seems that I have met and spoken to several celebs without knowing it. Aparently I just don't pay attention to the people I meet on the street. Especially if I don't think that I'll ever see the person again. According to several friends I have met and spoken to at least:
Angelina Jolie
Artie Lang
Belzer
Molly Ringwald
These are just people they mentioned in passing. There are apparently more.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I met Dennis Wholey this last weekend. A bunch of people around him were thrilled to meet him, but I had never heard of him before so somebody had to tell me who he was. They said he's better known in the eastern U.S. than in the west, so I guess that's my excuse for not knowing of him until shortly before we chatted for a minute.

toaster_oven

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2003
not sure
I've met my share of famous people - but these are my favorite stories:

I met Meg White of the White Stripes back when she used to work at Memphis Smoke... The only reason I remember her is because I mentioned to her that I thought I knew her from somewhere (i wasn't trying to pick her up or anything)... she just smiled and didn't say anything. a while later a friend took me to a white stripes show... I kept staring at her the whole time until i finally placed where I saw her before... she caught me looking and winked at me...

I also met a bunch of musicians at the first 2 DEMFs... at the second one I ran into Richie Hawtin (aka Plastikman), although i didn't know it was him at first... i tried to buy a T-shirt from him until someone butted in front of me asking for his autograph... to make matters worse- i mistook a woman at his booth for his mom (actually his girlfriend), and then nervously started talking about the weather... I got out of there as quickly as I could... and avoided him and his booth the rest of the festival...

my most memorable experience was meeting Jim Blanchard and John Engler when they were both running for Governor of Michigan back in '88.. both on the same day. I was on a class trip to Lansing, when we ran into Gov. Blanchard in the state house. he chatted with us for a while and ended with telling us to ask our parents to vote for him - literally a few minutes later we ran into Engler, who told us pretty much the exact same thing. I remember telling my parents later that day that i thought they were both creepy.

man- i miss Michigan...

-TO

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
I went to high school with someone who ended up pitching for the Florida Marlins in the World Series last year, but I guess that doesn't really count. A rather well-known opera signer by the name of Fredrica von Stade (link) goes to my church, so I end up sitting next to her on occasion. I may be lucky (or unlucky, depending on your point of view) enough to meet William Hung, as I'll be attending UC Berkeley in the fall. :p

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
In my youth I met Rod Serling briefly when he spoke at a lecture gig, and R. Sargent Shriver, who ran for vice president alongside George McGovern.

Later I was part of a sci-fi convention planning staff that had dinner with Martin Landau, Nick Tate and producer Gerry Anderson from the television series Space: 1999.

And I attended a sci-fi con a couple of years ago where I spoke briefly with Bill Mumy (Will Robinson of Lost in Space and Lennier of Babylon 5), Frank Gorshin (The Riddler on Batman), and a couple of actors from Kolchak: The Night Stalker whose names you probably wouldn't recognize: Carol Ann Susi and Jack Grinnage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.