Have you seen the m11x?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dragonmantek, Feb 21, 2010.

1. dragonmantek macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Dell released a new "netbook", which looks really amazing. Honestly, I'm seriously thinking about getting one of those. I've been holding out to get a Macbook Pro for a very long time now, but if the update doesn't come soon, or at least if it's an update I don't like, I think I'll go for the alienware.

1.3 Ghz Core 2 Duo
    11" 720p HD Screen
    3G Built-In
    6.5 Hours Integrated, 2 Hours Dedicated
    2 GB RAM
    160 GB
    Backlit Keyboard, changeable colors!
    SD Card Slot
    Firewire, USB
    DisplayPort, VGA, HDMI
    Webcam
    1 GB GT335M

And what's the price on this thing? Starting at $800

That's crazy. I'm sure if I were to purchase it, I could easily upgrade the RAM and the Hard drive. So the total cost would come around 1000, adding the warranty on top of it.

2. mklnz macrumors regular

Specs seems ok, but I don't like the look of it. It looks VERY thick, and way too gamer looking (well I suppose it is Alienware), which I don't want. Lastly, 2 KG is pretty damn heavy for a 11.6" laptop. Can't complain about the price though.

I'll be waiting for the Macbook Pro update.

3. Bumble Bee macrumors member

Core 2 Duo for a new laptop? with such a low ghz... why are we all waiting for Arrandale when these laptops are supposed to be the ultimate gaming machine, which is more than I would use for a laptop (my simple video/photo/document editing). I thought C2D was outdated?

4. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

There's absolutely NO contest between that and a 13" unibody MacBook that can be had for $900.

5. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Core 2 Duo has always been fine, although the Ghz is a little low, it's an ultra low consumption processor. That's probably how they managed to squeeze out almost 7 hours.

6. Bumble Bee macrumors member

So should we be b****ing about not have arrandales on our MBPs?

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

the unit is super thick

it does not look good either,

the specs are really good though, it does take up to 8gb ram and is super small screen size.

8. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Macbook Pro's are "Pro" machines, which can be way over the $1000 dollar mark, and they are different systems overall. They aren't meant to be gaming machines.

Besides, the jump from Core 2 Duo to iX isn't that great of a jump, it is better however, but for an 800 dollar mark, it's pretty good, but people are still paying $2000 for a 9600M and Core 2 Duo.

I'm not bashing the Macbook Pro, I really want one, but it's so expensive, and I seem to get more for less. I'm just going to wait out for the update, the m11x isn't even out yet either anyway.

9. Cali3350 macrumors regular

The thing is ridiculously thin given what is in it.

Here it is with a Acer Aspire 1 netbook:

[​IMG]

hmm...image isnt working. See link at bottom.

The thing actually looks remarkably good considering. Since you can turn off ALL the lights except the keyboard backlight im considering one myself.

Look here for good pics:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1492575&page=5

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

thanks for showing us how gross the system actually is....

go buy one....haha

11. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

7 hours with the GMA X4500. Otherwise, its like 2 with the 335M enabled.

12. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

7 hours is really good, even without the discrete graphics card. 2 hours is still amazing FOR discrete graphics. if you can do 2 hours of gaming on the road without being plugged in at a time, that's pretty amazing.

and macmodmachine, i can't really go against what you're saying, but it's all a matter of personal opinion.

it's no unibody, but i think the machine looks quite slender and nice. they crammed a lot of stuff into only 11 inches. alot more than what current macbook pro's have to offer.

13. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

Where is this "a lot more" that you're talking about? With the exception of maybe battery life and an internal 3G antenna, I don't see a single thing that outperforms a 13" MBP, or even a MacBook.

14. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

M11x has better discrete graphics. If you buying this, its probably what your after anyway. Otherwise, it has nothing over the 13" MBP.

15. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I do love the use of "720p HD" in the marketing literature... As if any notebook with 720 lines of vertical resolution isn't "720p."

The MacBook is "800p" in native resolution...

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's beautiful machine, very beautiful. I just don't know how they managed to get such a good and fast CPU into it.
    [​IMG]

Will the NVIDIA GT335M even be able to get hold of this superior CPU?

17. dragonmantek thread starter macrumors regular

dragonmantek

Well, better graphics card, not to mention switchable graphics in all models of it, smaller screen (I personally prefer the portability and the smallness, I'm sure 12" Powerbook users understand), an additional usb port, hdmi output, and the regular macbook doesn't have a backlit keyboard or firewire.

18. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Gaming performance. By a large margin.

19. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

To match the specs of the 13" MacBook, the m11x comes up to $1174. That's the closest available match, since the processor is still much slower than the 2.26GHz MB and there's no faster processor available in the m11x. Frontside bus on the m11x is also slower.

20. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'll wait for the Core i5 or Core i3 version to come out. I want to see some improvement over my Core 2 Duo T7500.

The M11x leverages on GPU power for its small size. You don't sacrifice battery life either.

21. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

At the expense of a lot of other things, it would appear.

22. Cali3350 macrumors regular

It has better battery life, a better display, is smaller and weighs less. In games the two arent even comparable, it absolutely destroys the MBP.

23. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

I guess I'm just surprised. If Apple released a "hardcore gaming" machine with a 1.3GHz Core 2 Duo, this forum would be rioting.

24. RubenTheys macrumors member

I don't care about their alienware-laptops. They look rubbish and cheap. Their Studio 15 is the one to beat for me. I can configure one with i7 quad core, a great graphic card and 8gb of RAM for €1300. One might say the quality isn't on par with MBPs, but I'm afraid apple won't offer me such specs for less than €2000. I sure hope so, though, cause I really like them MBPs. But €700 extra for a piece of aluminium is a bit harsh.

25. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Thats legit. Its a weak CPU. You can auto-overclock it to 1.73ghz in the BIOS which helps. For most games thats enough, your not gonna play Crysis though.