have you sent your MBP back for replacement? (late 08)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loganpyle, Nov 6, 2008.

1. loganpyle macrumors member

i spoke with applecare on monday, and they told me that they would overnight me the package which i am to send my "DOA" MBP back to them in (loose battery cover), and now it is thursday and i haven't yet received my "overnight" package.

just wanted to see if anyone else has gone through this or had this problem...

2. 244620, Nov 6, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  3. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Yes, my 2.53 4GB with a 320 GB 7200RPM HDD with a Apple remote and a display port to VGA adapter was picked up today by the courier Apple sent. It's gone back for smudges on the back of the glass, in fact when I looked I think there was a streak across the LCD panel as well!
    I have been given a new ship date of the 14th of November with an estimated delivery time of the 19th. And I called Apple care the day I got the computer so it's a DOA. If you ask me they wait to verify the fault before releasing the new replacement computer.

4. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

oh my gosh i know. apple's customer support is super crappy. i just got back from fedex, AFTER talking to apple again and hearing that they WEREN'T in fact sending me a package, and that i had to use the box that it came in. when i took THAT box to fedex, they told me that they wouldn't ship it in that because of their policies regarding electronics (they didn't want to be liable in case of damage) so i had to drop $10 on a freaking box just to send my mbp back in. i'm on the phone with apple demanding a refund as we speak.

if i don't get a perfect mbp back, i'm gonna start a riot.

5. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

You've spent $10 on a box and you want a refund from Apple? :p

Seriously, calm down. There is no need for you to be upset, things happen - learn to deal with it and do everything you can to resolve it. Yelling at any Apple employee's is not going to get you anything, if anything you'll get less preferential treatment.

Be happy that Apple will even send you a new notebook, just think what would happen if Apple didn't even do refund or exchanges.

Lastly, you're furious because you got a notebook with a loose battery cover? ...

6. itcomic macrumors member

Apple won't issue refund or exchange for minor defects computer ? Time for Lawsuit ? :rolleyes:

Lastly, he is furious because he received a faulty notebook with horrible customer care from Apple. He already paid over 2000 dollars on a notebook which comes with minor defects and for exchange he needs to pay addtional $10 dollars for shipping, which is additional, unexpected and unreasonable cost to him, you also need to factor the travel time and gas he spend for this exchange. Yelling at apple employee will not help anything, so demand to talk to manager ;)

7. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

okay, firstly, i never once said anything about being "furious." secondly, SUE ME for paying $2600 for a computer and the freaking BODY of it having problems. thirdly, i never YELLED at anyone at apple. i called them and told them what had happened, and i'm getting iWork for free out of the deal, so i'm really not upset. it's just annoying that i've paid this much money for a computer, and it has problems that i've never even had with $700 DELLs. also, i'm definitely NOT going to have my replacement MBP by the time that i start class, and being an art student, i most definitely need my computer.

i SINCERELY apologize for being slightly upset ;)

8. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Apple would be bust overnight and would also be in breach of several consumer laws all around the world and would in and out of court more times then you've had dinner!

And yes he has a perfectly good reason to be upset, I could say my fault was more severe but I have no idea how loose his battery cover was but regardless are you the sort of person who would accept a new car with one wheel missing? And lets not forget the computer costs as much as a second hand car anyway!
    But I think the fact Apple told you that you MUST use THERE packaging and I'm guessing the courier is one Apple told you to use as well? And then that company said you MUST buy another box t cover them. Too fing right I'd be mad, back and forth just to send a faulty product that's not your fault and the guy was lied to by some incompetent agent who probably just wanted to get rid of him off the phone. Another big company making you pay for there mistakes.

9. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

couldn't have said it better :D

10. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

Yes. CTO Macbook Pro with 2.8 GHz and 7200 drive.

Crooked function keys and scratches in the case.

Tried working with a genius, but got nowhere other then a request to hand my brand new laptop over to them for two weeks while they repaired it.

Escalated it to Apple's executive customer support and asked them why I had to go through all of this trouble with a laptop that displayed obvious quality issues straight out of the box, and being asked to buy a new laptop so I could transfer data from my current one before sending it back was totally unacceptable.

A replacement should arrive shortly. I'll get charged for it if I don't send my current one back after a week.

11. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

You have every right to be upset at Apple.

12. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

so, due to all of my nagging with applecare/people in corporate i have received free overnight shipping on my replacement mbp, AND iWork '08 for free as well, from having to pay the $10 fee for the shipping box. not really sure how $10/upset customer = $79 iWork, but i'm not complaining :)

13. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

I had to replace mine because of a finger print / smudge behind the screen. Be aware they are taking forever.

The applecare rep said my computer is being put in queue right now and said as soon as it is ready and my return package is scanned in at my local fedex my replacement macbook would be sent out.

Not the case. For the past week it has said not yet shipped and gave a time of 3-5 days. Like I said a week has past and I have already shipped out my original mbp. Only today did my mbp get to the apple facility and now my replacement macbook pro says 2-4 days to ship and gives a new delivery date.

It seems I was lied to by applecare. I guess they put my replacement order in queue when the receive the mbp at apple in California. If this one isn't right then I will demand that they send an advance replacement or I will just ask for a refund.

14. UMHurricanes34 macrumors 65816

UMHurricanes34

I haven't had the pleasure of trying to get a replacement...yet.

My MBP is flawless save for one dead pixel, but it's at the very bottom of the screen and is only distracting when I stare at it.

I can live with it. I'll take my one-dead-pixel MBP with no other issues over risking getting an issue laden replacement.

I wish you all the best and the best of luck with all of your replacements.

15. KilljoyPBN macrumors regular

Meh they must be reading this thread because I just got an e-mail about a delay in assembly and now it's prepared for shipment. Just strange so hopefully it ships tonight (later in the day for china).

16. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

oh i'm jealous! mine is saying it will be delivered between the 7th and 11th, which would be amazing, but highly unbelievable. also, they sent me iLife instead of iWork for free...so there is another return process.

17. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

MBP 2.8 7200 HD, crooked keys and loose battery cover.

Genius in the shop was useless and knew less then me. I think i tought him a few things.

After having read all the issues people are having, I sent mine in for a Refund. Just could not wait 2 more weeks and risk getting another ones with issues.

So will wait a month and get a 2.53 from the Apple shop. Hopefully they will sort out the bad QA by then.

One question, lots of MB and MBPs are being returned, so where do they end up? Refusrbished units or repacked in the hipe that the next buyer is not so picky?

18. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

well, judging by how apple has handled my situation...i'm gonna go out on a limb and say they just send them to someone else in hopes that the new customer won't complain. or maybe they take the matter responsibly, and just fix the problem before re-selling ;) i've definitely lost a lot of respect and credibility for apple since the late 08 mb mbp were released.

19. Jeff Barlow macrumors member

I believe they end up as refurbs, though I'm not sure if they remove the upgrades from the CTO returns and sell them as stock models.

20. cancermonkey68 macrumors newbie

wonky caps lock key.

i am waiting for my SECOND mbp to be overnighted to me because my caps lock key is acting wonky.

"genius"bar (what a laugh) guy said it could not be fixed, and that i should get a new one. wow, talk about baby w/the bath water.

i opted to have them "hold the funds" to get a new one sent before i will ship my old one back as i can't be w/o an computer. of course my old pre-intel mbp's applecare ran out THE DAY BEFORE the HD crashed. dreaded grey screen w/a question mark. this was literally the day i got my new mbp by chance, and was trying to "migrate" the info over FW800. it's almost as if it knew it was being replaced, or more nefariously - apple built in a "self destruct" code into the migrate tool, to make you feel better about your new purchase??? hahaha... jkjk.

of course i still have to wait 5-7 days till its "built" in china before it's shipped.

apple suggests using time machine to back-up my current mbp and then just restore onto the new one (saving all my installations and prefs.). has anyone ever done this? without any issues occurring? i know that is the point of time machine, but i have never tried it myself. anyone?

my take on the new mbp??? - keeping in mind that i have had a mac since 82-ish when my dad got an apple ][+, so i am clearly mac-centric...

pros:
    amazing industrial design
    rock solid gui/system (it just works)

cons:
    - jobs is a freak and has way too many constrictions (part of the reason why "it just works" i guess)
    - only glossy screen option (though honestly it gets SO friggen bright that it has not really been an issue)
    - chicklet keys are kinda lame. it's a little harder to press the keys (my index finger is actually a little sore believe it or not - yeah ima wuss). the light leakage under the keys is redic. i mean, why won't they just put a little seal or soft gasket between each key and the housing. it would solve dirt and light issues.
    - no FW400 (another adapter to have to carry... LAME)
    - no blueray
    - no hdmi (or cable/adapter for it)
    - wonky hinge - if you are actually using your laptop in your lap - let's say in bed where the bottom is other than flat - the top has a tendency to close from it's own weight. apple, when i asked about this actually said: "well, its a notebook, not a laptop." ...LAME.

not that it really matters, i still shelled out 3k even w/a educational discount... that's what they bank on. that and the millions from iphone, ipod, and itunes. there is a reason why they changed their name from "apple computer" to "apple, inc." early last year... right?

Attached Files:

21. loganpyle thread starter macrumors member

i was also told to backup using time machine, and i've heard that when i plug my seagate ext. HD into my new mbp, it will take approx. 40 minutes to transfer over, but then my replacement mbp will be exactly like my DOA one.

we'll see how that goes in about a week :rolleyes:

22. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I'm going to have to take mine in, as it rattles - I think the left fan is busted, it sounds like something is stuck in it.

Did the last round of machines have this many threads? It seems to me that the new models are plagued by problems, every mac related website I've gone on has thread upon thread of issues.

23. cancermonkey68 macrumors newbie

timecapsule...

was the lappy actually DOA? or just a bad battery cover? i mean, either is lame - but if it was working properly, aside from the cover - then all your stuff would be restored via time-shyte-capsule... ya?

btw: i dealt w/a "level 2" manager - who was a bit of a gruff guy. he acted as if he was doing me a favor by sending me out a replacement... what an ass. i re-ordered on 11/04/08 and fedex shows that it shipped this morning - left fedex 11:28am from SHANGHAI CN, 11/07/08. we will see.

no free iworks for me, hahahaha.

good luck with yours!!!

www.prmit.net

24. hit2cho macrumors newbie

charge-back time

if they don't want to replace your computer, i suggest you call your credit card company (i hope you charged it, and i hope you charged it to your amex) and ask for a charge back immediately. explain what is going on to them and they should be quite flexible about dealing with apple themselves.

25. ninman macrumors member

I wouldn't be so worried, apple sell literary millions of computers. Nobody is going to start a thread on an internet site saying that their macbook/macbook pro is faultless are they?

Having said that, defects are normal for first gen macbooks/macbook pros. If you are really worried, wait until the second generation macbook/macbook pros are released.