Have You Used AppleCare?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by apple1865, May 10, 2011.

?

Have You Used AppleCare?

1. Yes

67 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. apple1865 macrumors newbie

I'll be buying an iMac when the education deal starts and I'm debating whether or not to get AppleCare. I'm curious as to how many people actually needed it outside of the 1 year window. Thanks.

2. Dresevski macrumors 6502

2007 MBP for college. Took care of it. Never had a problem with it

3. Entourage12 macrumors member

Screen and hard drive replacement would've been $784 without Applecare for me, don't think i'd ever get a machine without it just because of how good the service is.

Especially for the iMac it's only $139 with the student discount

4. flipster macrumors 6502a

Yes.

HD failure saved me $245

Logic Board replacement saved me $696.95 [​IMG]

$130 for 3 years of applecare, and it's already saved me about $1,000. Well worth it.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep - I'll swear by it any day if the week.

Myself: Replaced power supply and optical drive in 2006 CoreDuo iMac 2 weeks before plan expired. $264 value at the time.

Friend of mine whom I helped out last month: Replaced fried MagSafe board, power adapter, and hard drive: $430 value.

6. Zortrium macrumors 6502

Educational AppleCare for a desktop is totally worth it (cheap and iMacs are a pain in the neck to service).

7. scoobydiesel macrumors member

scoobydiesel

Yeah, My graphics and my logic both went out on my MBP in its life time and applecare repaired it for me(super fast too btw)

Whenever i get around to buying the imac i shall but applecare again :)

8. rcook macrumors newbie

Had a bulging battery on a Macbook a year or two ago. Swapped out the battery no problem.

9. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

New power supply for an iMac G5.

New screen for an iMac 24" C2D

New hard drive x2 for a BlackBook
    New front edge strip of plastic (with new keyboard, plastic casing and trackpad thrown in) - twice! - for the same BlackBook.

10. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

Get the Apple Care. Your buying a computer thats near or more than $2,000...Would it really hurt spending the extra $170 for the Apple Care? I honestly buy Apple Care with any Apple purchase. The Apple Care takes care of most problems (if you ever have any) without ANY CHARGES. Even if your computer breaks down, Apple provides the boxes and everything else to ship your package.

I personally have a 2009 MacBook Pro with Apple Care. Its never had a problem that really required me to have Apple Care to get the problem resolved, but then again, if i have any problems, im good.

11. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

AppleCare provides excellent coverage and fast service.

Ever since I needed it to replace a hard drive that failed early, I've been sold. That service alone was worth it, Apple dispatched it very quickly.

It was only a few days before I had it back and good as new. I buy AppleCare as a matter of fact with each new MBP or other Mac I buy.

12. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I've owned 5 Macs more than three years. Only one required a repair in years 2 and 3 of ownership. It failed at 2.5 years, but failed again shortly after 3, so AppleCare gave me half a year of life over 5 systems. Doesn't seem worth it to me.

13. R-head macrumors newbie

My apple care paid for itself, after 1 1/2 years had a sticky key on the keyboard. One phone call, lots of faffing about, they came to the same conclusion .... keyboard fault. I think around 2 days later; Happy Customer :)

Well worth it ........ in this case

Also iPhone, small cracks appeared after a few months ... so I left it till 18 months ....... 20 mins in-store and new/refurbished (couldn't tell) iPhone

Well worth it ........

Maybe I'm unlucky, but what I've paid out has repaid itself many times over .... you take your choice?

Oh my MacBook Pro is covered, but not my Apple TV (it's cheap)

Go for it!!!!

14. zerocustom1989 macrumors regular

Every apple product I've owned has been fixed or replaced with apple care.

iPhone 1? replacement

iPhone 3gs? 2 replacements

iPhone 4, (first didnt work out of the box.): replacement.

2007 Santa Rosa MBP, Bad screen, and graphics card failure. (The screen connector is messing up now, but it's out of warranty)

When I buy an iMac I'll be damn sure to get applecare.

15. SiskoKid macrumors 6502

Yup!

Quite a few times actually.

My iPod from 4 or 5 years ago dies 2 days before its 3 year apple care was up, so they swapped it out. Awesome :D

My Mac Pro was riddled with problems. They replaced the mother board, the RAM risers, the ram and the graphics card at one point or another. This was the 2006 model. Total life saver. I think I definitely got the lemon of the bunch.

Those were my experiences. My MacBook Pros never had any issues and neither did my G5 Mac.

My husband's MacBook Pro had battery issues after 2 and a half years (it wouldn't hold a charge), so they replaced that.

My mom's white MacBook had hard drive issues. But that wasn't apple care actually, the drives were faulty so those were replaced by the manufacturer. I forget which one.

Either way, when I had Dell problems, they never made it this easy (I actually never got my Dell problems fixed. It's why I stopped using PCs actually. Had a Dell laptop and Desktop, both went to crap). It also wasn't easy to go into a store, hand it over and pick it up a day or two later as opposed to shipping a ****ing desktop somewhere and hoping it gets fixed.

I think AppleCare is worth every penny.

16. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

My 2007 iMacs graphics card crapped out 1 month before AppleCare expired. It was worth it.

17. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Didn't buy Applecare for my first Mac, a 2006 20" Core Duo iMac and ended up paying $550 for a logic board replacement.

I have purchased Applecare for every Mac I've had since from L.A. Computer.

I had the LCD panel replaced on a 24" iMac twice, once for a discoloration on the screen and the second time for a bad inverter. That was about $1500 alone. Then the HD crashed and I had that replaced as well on the same machine. It was a great return on the $120 investment (about $5/month).

I've got Applecare for my current iMac as well but fortunately haven't had a need to use it yet. Still, I will never pass on Applecare again.

18. ttttaylor macrumors regular

i got a whitebook (first mac) in june '09 without applecare and haven't needed it whatsoever, despite the heavy use the computer has received. so i just got an imac and didn't get applecare again.

am i right in believing that i can still buy the full applecare within the first year of basic coverage?

19. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

I bought it for my old (and current) PPCG4 Mac but never once used it to get any kind of service done on it. However, I did call Apple once the battery started to wear out but I was told that the battery isn't covered under Apple Care because batteries are considered "consumable" and there is no guarantee for something consumable.

I will however, be purchasing Apple Care with the new iMac that I plan to purchase soon.

20. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

I will be purchasing AppleCare for my first iMac. It has saved me several times with my iPhone.

The only problem i'm afraid of is dragging the 27" beast to the Apple Store! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

21. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This is correct, you have up until the end of the one year limited warranty to purchase Applecare. One advantage to buy early is that full telephone support is activated. This expires after 3 months on the limited warranty.

22. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

yes you have up to 1 year when the limited warranty expires to buy AppleCare. AppleCare doesn't take effect per say til the initial year is up due to the limited warranty is the same as Applecare other than no free phone support after 90 days.

AppleCare extends the limited 1 year warranty for 1 year more making 2 years and 2 years more for some products making it 3 years for others I believe it is 2 years total for iPhones and 3 years total for iMacs.

23. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Well worth the money. Parts and labor are very expensive. Also replacing your IMAC would be very costly, needless to say.

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Totally worth it. Specially for the iMac at $169. The portables are pricier but in my case my HDD and Logic Board were replaced after the initial year.

25. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

$120 for the shrink-wrapped retail box at L.A. Computer, as mentioned above. ;)