Having a really hard time choosing 6 or 6+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rocafella93, Sep 17, 2014.

1. rocafella93 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I am having a really hard time making a decision on which phone to get. I'm usually not bad with decisions, but with this one I just can't do it for some reason. I keep going back and forth between the two phones, both have their pros and cons.

If any of you can tell me or offer opinions as to which one you think would be better for me that would be must appreciated.

My hands are averaged sized for a male, and I use my phone one handed a fair bit, especially when I am on the go. If I go the 6 I'll get the 128GB, if I go the 6+ I'd get the 64GB.

Concerns for getting the 6:

- Crappier battery life. I used to have a HTC One M8, and it doesn't look like the 6's battery will stand up to it. I like to get through a full day with moderate-heavy usage.

- The resolution. I can bloody well tell the difference between a 5S and my HTC One M8, I feel like I'm losing out by not getting the 6+

That is pretty much it. My only concerns for going with the 6.

Concerns for getting the 6+:

- Won't be able to use it one handed. I go to the gym and listen to music from my phone in my pocket, with gym shorts, I don't even know if this will be possible. I also change songs in my car with my left hand only (where my aux is) and this might prove to be a bit more annoying. Also things like sending off texts with another item in your hand not using the phone will probably be impossible or extremely annoying. I used to sometimes get annoyed with my M8 changing songs in the car and what not. But I loved the larger screen.

So what do you guys think? Maybe even tell me your own battle with choosing. Anything can help at this point, launch is so soon and I gotta make a decision fast! I love the fact that the 6+ has that battery life that I don't need to worry about all day, and the clearer screen. OIS does not bother me one little bit.

Cheers.

2. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

At the sake of sounding like a shill, this review is probably the best one I've read on the new iPhone lineup mainly because it's a review on what it is to actually use the phones in more of a "real world" type situation.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/17/life-is-tough/

I pre-ordered the smaller 6 but even I was having doubts after I read that review. :eek:

3. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. It's dreadful isn't it?! Today I've trawled through a load of stuff trying to persuade myself that the regular 6 @ 128GB is the right choice. I'll see if I can post the document I've come up with. Back in a min!

----------

The Case for iPhone 6.

• Portability; The 6 is a lot more portable that the Plus. Fits easier into pockets, better for the gym. Will fit better into car holders.
    • Ease of use; The 6 will be easier to use. You will be able to use it one handed.
    • Plus extras; I don’t use the camera too much. I won’t really benefit from the ‘image stabilisation’. “If you want to simply take gorgeous photos and aren’t too concerned about shooting in low light, then the iPhone 6 is fine.”
    • Office use; The 6 will be more discrete when using in office. The Plus will stick out like a sore thumb!
    • Will make iPad mini redundant? “What do you want, a tablet or a phone?”
    • “The iPhone 6’s smaller display is just as gorgeous as its larger sibling’s screen, and 4.7 inches isn’t exactly tiny.”
    • “Cramming a big-screen smartphone like the iPhone 6 Plus into your pants pocket will likely prove a bit problematic, especially if you favour skinny jeans. The iPhone 6, however, should slide into your pocket with ease.”
    • “To make sure you can still use the new iPhones with one hand, Apple has implemented a new feature that moves the top of the screen down toward the bottom and within reach of your thumb. To use this, you simply double-tap, not press, the home button. Even with this feature, however, the iPhone 6 Plus will likely be too large for users with more diminutive hands.”
    • “In the end, the size of the phone comes down to how comfortable it is for you to hold, so you might want to give it a try at your local Apple or carrier store to get a sense of how large the phone is.”
    • My advice: Choose a phone the way you choose shoes. Consider how you're going to use it, whether it fits your particular body and how you're going to carry it around. Some people wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes. Others wouldn't be caught dead without them.
    • I've decided I'm happiest with the smaller iPhone 6 because it feels the most comfortable in my pocket. The phone should become more like a wallet—at some point, it could be the only thing I need to leave the house. I want my wallet small, easy to tuck away and easy to pull out when I need it.
    Quotes;
    • ”I think most people are getting more phone than they bargained for. I also tried to get a Plus, but after having read all the reviews today, I'm glad they were sold out so quickly, forcing me to get a 6 instead. The Plus is enormous - the 4.7" seems to be the ideal size. Slightly better camera (only helps you for video, apparently) and slightly longer battery life, but far less pocketable and tedious to hold”
    • I was all set for the 6+ until I saw a photo from engadget at the launch "hands on". I'm 6.1" and it's just a bit too big for me.

• I just made the switch. I went back and forth all day yesterday but decided to go with the 6.

• I think you made the right choice. The iPhone's claim to fame when it came out was that it enabled people to carry the internet in their pocket. The 6 Plus takes away this fundamental ability - not something that OIS and a few landscape apps could fix. Not to mention that having apps designed for a 4" screen scaled up to fit a 5.5" screen is a bit ridiculous. I predict a lot of disappointed people a few weeks after launch day, when the newness wears off and the frustration sets in.

• At first I was leaning 5.5", then I started leaning to the 4.7" and I believe that's where I'll stay at. The 5.5" is HUGE. No matter how many people wanna say it's not that big and all that... It's huge. Its a little bigger then the Note 3 and that phone is huge too.

• I'm strongly leaning on the 6, but will wait for launch day. Haven't pre-ordered anything, because I don't care to be the first.

• I think tech should disappear into you, not make its presence known constantly. The 6 still manages this, the 6+, much less so.

• Yeah I don't understand people. I'll tell you I'm getting the 4.7" iPhone 6. I have no want or need for a 5.5" phone. I never wanted the Note so I'm not going to change now because Apple decides 5.5" is cool now. I'd rather have a 5s with 4.3" and I'd be happy.

• My 5 was perfect to me when it came out. I've had it 2 years ( longest i've had the same phone in a long time.) and i always thought the size was perfect. The 6 will be an upgrade in size and performance so no need to go with the plus IMHO.

• I went back and forth for a couple of days and did the whole cardboard cutout thing. I found that I was trying to convince myself that I would be ok with the plus because I wanted the better battery life and a bigger screen. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wasn't comfortable with the plus....

• Got the 6 bc felt the 6plus was too big, went to verizon today played with some 5.5in phones and whewww glad i made the right choice. Anything over 5 is too damn big. It's a cell phone not a freakin tablet.

• Yes I was dead set on getting the plus. Then I read how everyone here is getting the plus. Then I thought about it. I looked at the actual size verses the size of my hand. I think it would be very uncomfortable. If I had say a purse it's not a problem right. But I don't cary purses and it would be hard to use at social gatherings. The iphone 6 is the perfect size I think for browsing the web and using it like a phone.

• Easy decision for me. The way it's designed the 6 Plus is simply to big for me. The regular 6 will be fine for me. My wife on the other hand can't wait to get her mitts on the 6 Plus. Apple should have done this when the 5 came out.

4. jacksonian macrumors newbie

I had the exact same thought process as the OP. I really wanted to talk myself into the Plus. But once I made a cardboard mockup, it was obvious that for my lifestyle, the Plus is too big. The main factors for me are that I can't comfortably carry the Plus in the pocket of my khakis at work and that I can't use it one handed. Sure, I could get some sort of belt clip holster, but I stopped doing that years ago. And yes, I can hold the Plus with one hand. But I can't hold it with that one hand and use it with that one hand. If I tried I'd probably drop it.

Those factors are every day all day factors. Taking a better low light picture is not an every day factor. And I'd rather use my iPad for games and watching videos.

I could certainly see someone with a different lifestyle loving the Plus. For a lot of people I think it would replace their iPad mini and be their sole iOS device. But not for me.

5. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

I think it's the "gym" thing for me. I can't see using the plus I the gym to be comfortable.

6. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

This was the main reason I went for the 6. I've owned a Note 2 & 3 and working out/running with those was doable but annoying.

7. Dave Meadows macrumors 68020

Dave Meadows

8. golfdude macrumors regular

Agreed, that's one of the reasons that swayed me, plus pocket carrying is going to be tough for everyday use. If you want a mobile phone go with the 6. Although if you like lifting, carrying the 6+ will give you a full time workout:)

9. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

+1 You explanation really helps make the iPhone 6 make more sense. (Medz1)

10. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I am in the same boat, but someone on another thread mentioned a perfectly valid point, as the 6+ is tempting me. That is there is a 14 day return policy. So I'm getting the 6+, and if it's just to large, I'll return it and get a 6 with $100 refund. No harm, no foul.

11. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I thought I was one of those "on the fence" guys about whether to get the Plus. I really liked the idea of the bigger screen. The higher PPI and OIS sound great, but in practice, those won't really make a big enough difference for me. Maybe for some people, just not for me.

But then I printed out the templates and made the cardboard mockups. The Plus would work in my hands just fine, and I still liked the idea of the bigger screen. But I'm a pretty serious runner, and I keep my iPhone in my pocket on my runs, using Bluetooth headphones. Would the Plus fit in my pocket? Sure. But would it be comfortable there on a run, or would it be weirdly banging against my leg? I also realized that I really like the screen size and portability of my iPhone 5 right now. It's a great fit for me. An extra .7 inches? Sounds great.

Suddenly I realized I wasn't as "on the fence" as I thought. I ordered the 6, and I'll never look back. It's perfect for my own tastes and priorities.

Unlike others on the forums, I don't need to convince others to have my same priorities, and I don't need to know that mine is the "better" choice between the two. I just needed to figure out which one works better for my needs, and I did.

12. rocafella93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep!

I am in the gym five times per week. Phone is in my gym pockets and headphones attached. I just feel uneasy thinking about the 6+ being in my pocket at those times. I also go hiking/running/walking in shorts.

Like I said the M8 with the 5.0inch screen used to piss me off at times, that size is about my limit for a phone.

Another thing is... I work at a retailer and I have a 6 128GB space grey waiting for me at $100 under normal price. We aren't getting any 6+ at work so if I want one I'd need to go to the Apple store and line up which could potentially mean I wouldn't get one anyway.

13. chrise2 macrumors 6502

This is what I'll do worst case. Though I've been testing out usage with people's Note 3's at work which is about the same size and everything seems fine. Fits in work pants just fine. I don't wear skinny jeans. I don't work out or run with it. I just want something to surf the web and watch video. I'm a lazy American.

14. rocafella93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad to hear others are in the same predicament as myself! Really the #1 main factor for me isn't even the screen, I have a PC or a macbook pro 13 when I need to do more serious work. The work factor and the screen size I really don't care about.

Just that battery. I love the size of the 5S, never bothered by how small the screen is, love the way it feels in the hand, love texting on the move or searching something really fast while moving.

I think the 6 is the better overall option for myself.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think a good case or Bluetooth headset solution would ease the gym concerns.

16. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I suggest you make the most out of the 14 day return policy and give the Plus a test drive for a week.

17. rocafella93 thread starter macrumors newbie

A case? I'd be putting a case on either the 6 or 6+ so that is just gonna make the phone bigger still... :S

----------

Getting one would be hard. I live in Australia and in my city we only have one apple store. People are already lining up I've seen photos. I'd probably try to waltz in there on friday to try and snap one up if I wanted to get the 6+ but I recon I'd be unlucky!

Frankly if I can get through the WHOLE day without having to charge I will be happy with the 6. The verge says yeah 1.5 days the 6 will last you. But some reviews I read say its only marginally better than the 5S, and the 5S sucked in my opinion.

I hate how all the reviewers don't focus on the important aspects like battery life, instead only relay and regurgitate the same info we have already over and over.

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

If you were already doing pretty well with the 5S battery-wise, the upgrade to the 6 battery will already be nice. Obviously the Plus has more, but reviews are showing that the 6 is better than the 5s, so I'm happy.

19. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

My wife is a runner, so what I meant by case was perhaps an armband solution. Or a fanny pack. The 6+ is not that much bigger! and it's thinness will surprise many. It will fit fine on an armband. Or keeping it in your gym bag and use Bluetooth headset. That's what i was aiming for.

20. rocafella93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah I see what you mean! I wouldn't use an armband or fanny pack haha I'm a dude, just couldn't see myself using those. Plus I like to regularly get my phone out to go online or text people, arm band will be annoying.

The bag + bluetooth headset idea is great, but my gym is huge, getting to the other side of the gym I am willing to bet BT would disconnect by then. Thanks for your suggestions :)

----------

Mmm I would not say doing well. With my HTC One I was, going through a full day was no dramas, and I would need to recharge every night which never bothered me. The 5S I had lacked that little bit extra juice to get me through.

21. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Stop it with all your insightful reasons to get the Plus!

Something tells me if one is available, I will get it as well as the 6. :eek:

Btw, the jaybird freedom sprint works well for me and it is reasonably priced

22. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I would like to replace my 4S but I don't really have a clue which size would work better for me. I'm going to wait until I can get hands on both sizes before I decide. So that's my recommendation.

23. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I already have an iPad Air and I only use my iPhone 5 to surf the net a few minutes at a time while on the go. I guess if your going to use your phone for hours at a time surfing the net the 6+ is the way to go. Just make sure you have loose fitting pants with big deep pockets.

24. ltb7 macrumors 6502

get the iPhone 6+, you have 14 days to sort out if you are happy - also, you can always pick up a shuffle if you want music - you will drive yourself crazy thinking which one when really no one will really know until they receive iPhone 6+ - you know you are fine with iPhone 6 so try 6+ and then decide, not a big deal to exchange, a lot of people will be doing so as this is first time apple has released 2 phones in way different sizes...good luck!

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I've never been a fan of switching cases, and I'm not a gym person, but when I go out walking or biking I use the same case I use daily. For the iPhone 6+ I'm planning to carry it in my pocket, but I am needing a solution for other times and am leaning to a belt pouch. I've been looking but haven found one.

A pouch that can hold the phone horizontally on my waist with a big nice plastic clip. So I can slip the phone in and out in it's Apple case easily.

It may need to be a pouch that's for something else (not iPhone specific). I've seen some very good ideas in the accessories forum.