Having a slight early life crisis..

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hylekmi, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Hylekmi macrumors regular

So im currently entering my senior year of College and I woke up today not liking my major. Problem is, Im already DEEP in debt. Im currently a Network Technology major and i am thinking about changing to just Information Technology. i currently have 12 classes to go but if i change i will have 17. I am on a quarter system so I would be here for 2 out of 3 quarters next year. My question is, what is better for getting a job? Networks or IT?
    What should i do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Err... that doesn't look like a quarter system to me.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Talk to your school's advisor
    Talk to people in the industry
    Talk to trusted friends and mentors

Avoid taking advice from a Forum

4. Hylekmi thread starter macrumors regular

1. fall
    2.winter
    3.spring
    4.summer(optional)

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Make the change. It's way easier now. You'll be glad you did in the long run.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I disagree. Take this (your) advice... dude!

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

The exception is the advice above... this is good advice....

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

9. samiwas macrumors 65816

I went through the same thing in my Freshman year of college, although without the big debt.

When I was deciding what to do with my life, all I ever wanted to do from the time I was a kid was play with lights. You know, like theater stuff...did that a lot in high school. As time for college rolled around and I had to start thinking about what I wanted to do with my life, I thought about architecture, as I had always loved drawing and designing things.

My dad, being ever the capitalist, thought there would be a lot more money in engineering. He pushed hard for me to go to school for engineering, which I did. I actually thought I could do it...and become some successful businessman type person. But deep down inside, I knew it was not what I wanted out of life.

I made it as far as my third quarter in college. I was in the first days of calculus 3 when it suddenly hit me like a brick wall...I simply could not do that for the rest of my life. I could think of nothing more mind-numbingly awful than crunching formulas all day every day (oddly enough, I love math and doing equations these days).

So, I decided to pursue my lifelong interest in lighting and change my major to theatre. Of course, this was not well received. But, it has worked out, and quite well. I do what I love, and have tons of free time to pursue other things. I'm making decent money, although I'll never be wealthy. But, I don't need to be wealthy, so it doesn't matter.

But before I did any of this, I talked to family, friends, teachers, and several guidance counselors at school. Do not just make a rash decision...talk through it with those who will know your situation.

But, whatever you do...don't go into something you don't enjoy, especially something you despise. Life is not worth that.

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Too bad. Most engineering jobs are NOTHING like that (in my experiences) lol. In fact, amazed at how little those jobs deal with what you learned in college

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

They're probably not. I never even made it to actual engineering classes. But either way, that kind of work is not for me.

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Doesn't matter if he might've been hit by that brick under false premises. He did it for the right reasons.

OP: read that post and take his advice. And MacDawg's, too. You'll be glad you did, even if your family disagrees in the short run. I had to do exactly this, but I was way late - I already graduated, and am doing a "career change" while I'm unemployed. That, my friend, sucked. Do it now, not later.

13. malman89 macrumors 68000

Just go for it. It's pretty much acceptable to do a victory lap/4.5-5th year - and you actually have a good reason (change of heart vs. just too much boozing).

It's better to put in the extra time than to be 16 months out of graduating and debating what would be better in the long term - starting from scratch to get a Bachelors in a totally different field or pursue a graduate program.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

So should we ignore your advice as well since you're just random person on the web to? :p

15. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, for all advice received, the receiver must judge the value of the advice. ;)

16. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I disagree. In cases like this I don't think it is necessarily bad to reach out to a group of people and ask for some input. However, if you're relying solely on this forum to make that decision for you then I think that's a bad idea. And all that coming from you is kind of ironic if you ask me. ;)

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

When it comes to big decisions which will change the direction of the rest of your life, I just don't think it is wise to place your fate in the hands of anonymous internet forum dwellers. I don't think there is anything wrong fundamentally in asking on a forum, but if that is the sole source of your counsel, that would put you at risk. I think you have to weigh the online counsel very careful and take it with a grain (or more) of salt. A decision like this is far more important than "should I get an iPhone now, a Galaxy S III or wait for the new iPhone." :)

18. c073186 macrumors 6502a

Spend the time to get it right the first time. As others have suggested, it's much easier now than later.

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Can't you do both? Stay an extra year or semester and get the two majors and you won't have to worry about it.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you didn't place your fate in an anonymous forum dweller once then you would't be where you are today. Think about it.

21. lowbelly macrumors member

Networks is more specific, which is actually more valuable to the right employer. Stick with it.

22. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

You're asking yourself if it is worth it. You've been through trials and late nights and arrogant instructors all the while incurring huge debt. Now you're wondering if it was all a waste of time. Who wouldn't doubt themselves under these circumstances? I say stay the course, stick to the plan. Get the degree you planned to achieve when the going was easy and you could think clearly.

23. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Of course it helps that this thread is a year old.

KGB:D

24. rei101 macrumors 6502a

The same thing here. I wanted to be a graphic designer as a kid and my dad told me not to, he wanted me to be an architect. I went to audio engineering because it was a field he had no clue. Today I am 38, working in an advertising agency freelancing and my life would have been millions times better if I had chosen to become a graphic designer which I never did. I am a video editor with the graphic design in me but without the instruction.

When you do what you like the most, your spirit will always create the enthusiasm to keep going endless hours. Then you will become the best and then you will be successful and have a good life.

Fallow what you were meant to be, look deep inside. Look at Steve Jobs... listen to him.

Today everything what you touch was created in an Apple product, the music you listen to, the movies you watch, the Ikea furniture, the magazines... fallow your self and be the best at it.

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Let us hope the kid has graduated college by now and his early life crisis is over.