Having an iPad while having an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sdahe, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Sdahe macrumors 68000

Sdahe

Hello...

I want to share what stops me from buying an iPad. I just feel it’s redundant to have an iPad while having an iPhone. I feel like I have two iphones… one bigger than the other one. They do almost the same thing. Do you think the same way?...

2. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Not at all.

I use all the items in my signature for different things.

my 13" MBP isn't used as much lately though... thinking I might sell it...

My iPad lives in my bag or on my nightstand as I watch movies and TV at night on it.

My iPhone is more of a work device for gaming and email (although I can and do this on my iPad).

My MBA is my powerhouse, it handles my work load and is used to move movies and songs to my iDevices.

Whilst the iPad does most of what my iPhone does, certain tasks for me are easier on the iPad, like RDP into servers for maintenance, document editing and watching media.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't see them being the same thing at all. the iPad has allowed app developers to make full use of that larger screen which allows you to accomplish more with it. i will never be able to read on my iPhone, its just too small of a screen, or draw a picture, or watch a movie, or write a paper. they have very different uses.

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

not at all. first and foremost my iPHone is a phone. my ipad is a replacement or really a near replacement for my computer. I use it way more and more easily for email and many other input means. there are many things I do on my iPad that while I likely could do on my phone, I don't because it's just not the right size.

5. noteple macrumors 65816

No

My iPhone is a phone, my iPad a tablet.

My iPhone makes a lousy tablet too small. Always pinching and zooming.

My iPad makes a lousy phone, way too big for pocket, holster.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have both....Rather than being the same thing in different sizes, I feel they compliment each other....I have both with me, and both get used. I don't really surf the web much on my 4S.....The screen is too small, so the iPad does that job.

The retina screen in the new one is superb, and a joy to read / view pictures on and It's also the only device I regularly game on.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't think they're the same, mainly because the tiny display on the iPhones a joke. There's so little room to work when the keyboard takes up half the display area, that I'd much rather use my iPad for email or anything that requires input.

Other than both having a similar form factor, the iPad is far better than the iPhone. At least with an iPad you have a decent sized display.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I used to think having an iPad was redundant, but but there's definitely a place for both. I have an iPad and iPhone now, and love it.

The iPad is great for settings where I can sit down and look at something in detail. light web browsing and typing out e-mails work well on the iPad. And it excels at showing full-page documents, and video.

The iPhone comes out when I'm making calls (obviously), but also in situations where maybe the iPad is just too big. Crowded rooms, elevators, that sort of thing. I've also found that the iPhone is better for listening to audio streams and music.

If you haven't used one, then its totally understandable why someone would think there's no place for both. But once you actually use one, you start to find that both the iPhone and iPad still get plenty of use, and you find situations where one is more appropriate than the other.

9. BluePhoenixRa macrumors regular

I used to think the same until I finally got one. As everyone here said already, the devices compliment each other and have a lot of different situations where they work better.

Also, I bought a wifi only iPad, so when I'm not near a free wifi hotspot, I use my phone for all my internet needs. Heh =P

10. Ay_Zimmy macrumors 6502

An iPad will make you use your laptop less and even your iPhone.

11. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I totally understand your 'iOS overkill' feeling. I felt the same way when I first got an iPad last year but, once you work both devices into your daily routines, you quickly learn to look at your iPhone and iPad as two entirely different devices despite their similarities. You'll LOVE it. Trust me. :)

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I had my first iPod touch, I kept wishing if only the screen was larger, it'd be easier to do so many things -- look at websites, read books, write documents, look at maps -- everything would be easier with a bigger screen. That's why I lined up to get one when the first iPad came out. If you've never thought "oh, if only this screen was bigger," while using your iPhone, well then, you don't need an iPad, and nothing wrong with that.

13. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

The iPad offers a much better experience in various apps and when performing various tasks (such as reading). In this way the devices are very different. Part of this difference comes from apps which take advantage of the extra screen real estate.

While I can perform many of the same tasks on both, I usually prefer to perform them (often-times much more so) on the iPad.

14. TinyBFK macrumors member

This sums up what I was going to say. I use my iPhone less than I did before also. The extra real estate is much better for being productive in my opinion, less scrolling around and zooming in. Email is also much easier to deal with on the iPad.

15. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I, too, use my iPhone (and iMac, for that matter) a lot less than I used to because of the iPad. With that said, that doesn't necessarily render your iPhone pointless, as many people might think it does. I seldom take my iPad anywhere (unless I'm traveling) so the iPhone is great for when I'm waiting on an oil change or haircut. Which is typically when I catch up with Facebook and sort through spam mail or even play a quick game. I've often read posts where people state they'll downgrade to a dumb-phone once they have an iPad. Unless you plan in carrying it everywhere, you'll definitely find yourself missing Safari and the plethora of other apps that keep you enetertained when you're out and about.

16. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

The browsing and typing experience is better on the iPad, as well as watching videos. The iPhone is what's best at hand.

17. jojoba macrumors 68000

I don't have an iPhone but I have a smart phone. I use my iPad extensively as an e-reader and to take notes, and I find my smart phone way too small for that purpose. Getting an iPad didn't really change my use pattern of my phone much, except that I'm now more likely to use my iPad rather than my phone if I have to look up information (check emails, look at a map, check an address) when on the go.

18. yang88she macrumors regular

^this

My mbp is retired to desktop use, my iPhone is always with me on the go, love reading the news on pulse with my morning cup of joe on my iPad

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I have an iPhone to use as phone/contacts/mail.
    I have an iPad that I use mostly for reading books (getting older and too many books come with text size too small for me to read!).
    I use an MBP 13" for everything else.

20. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

As above: not really! Each device offers slightly different trade-offs between usability and mobility, so I use each for different purposes.

iPhone: I use on-the-go, as it's the only one which fits in a pocket. Occasionally use when sitting at home, if I'm REALLY lazy.

iPad: Home browsing, checking email, gaming, Remote app for listening to music.

MBP: Work. Any lengthy text entry. More serious gaming.

Although, I have noticed every time I get a new device, that tends to get a bit more use than it normally would.

21. Cobster macrumors member

22. BrerSam macrumors member

I found that I used my I phone a lot less never for gaming after I got my ipad, I sold my ipad to get the latest one and will pick that up next month, my one question I have been trying to answer is if I should keep my I phone 4s or my galaxy s3 to go along with the ipad until I phone 5.

23. SAIRUS macrumors 6502a

Honestly I was in that boat where I thought an iPad was just a big iPod Touch, and thank god I jumped off that boat.

Thing is, the experience of iOS is a lot better on a bigger display, and usage of applications has generally switched over to my iPad. Now the main reason I've jumped off the boat is WHERE I used my devices. When I'm on the road, my iPhone gets used for GPS, Pandora,Spotify etc. I very much believe in being a safe driver so once I'm driving, I don't touch my phone as much as possible.

This leads to when I'm generally at the destination, where WI-FI is predominant, and I switch to my iPad to get other things done. I still use my Macbook for the power stuff. Even then, sometimes the iPad would get used for a quick Netflix or catching up on Conan. Their app versions don't cause my CPU to go up.

24. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

Nope. Because I take my iPhone with me on the road and everywhere else, while my iPad stays at home, until I go on vacation. I don't use my iPhones tiny screen while at home, I choose my iPad because the browsing is so much more enjoyable.

25. 184550 Guest

I have an iPhone 4S and an iPad with 4G/LTE. Each has its uses. I don' feel that they're redundant at all.