Having iPad2, would you buy an iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pontsu, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Pontsu macrumors newbie

I am in that situation right now. I know how incredible the Siri is, but I have also heard that it's coming to iPad also.

iPad and iPhone are just similar enough in functionality that I am not sure if the added cost of an iPhone in comparison to other smartphones on the market is justifiable.

What do you think? Having an iPad2, would you buy an iphone4S? Is it an issue of want vs need? Thanks.

2. AbyssImpact macrumors 6502a

I sold my iPad 2 to get an iPhone 4s. Terrible mistake. Browsing on Safari on the 4s sucks compared to 2.

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

One is a tablet - one is a phone. You cannot justify one for the other for their core uses. It doesn't make sense, to me, to sell the iPad 2 to get the 4S... get the 4S if you need a smartphone or if the 4 is too slow for you; Siri is just an added bonus... it doesn't really justify a full phone purchase.

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Siri most likely will not be coming to the iPad. Apple is using it as a selling feature of the iPhone 4S.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

While you may be right, I don't agree with the tactic. If Apple had to release Siri for the iPad - they would have done it by now... there is no point in waiting just to make more sales for the iPhone.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

iPad 2 is a great reason not to buy an iPhone 4S, especially if you have the iPhone 4 already. It definitely was a major factor in my decision not buy the 4S. The only feature the 4S has that interests me is the AirPlay mirroring, but I have it on the iPad which is where all my games and movies are and will be anyway.

I'm going to TRY and skip iPad 3 and snag the iPhone 5/6 next year, but something tells me I won't be able to control myself and end up buying both the new iPad and new iPhone next year.

7. WillWill macrumors newbie

I personally own both .. ipad 2 and 4S. They are different items... you can't talk on the iPad2 all day long right...??

4S is a phone ..iPad is ... NOT a phone :confused:

8. sumone macrumors regular

I definitely think it's an issue of want not need. There isn't too much that the iPhone 4s offers that the iPad2 doesn't. I don't know whether Apple will ever officially release Siri on the iPad1/2 or iPhone 4 but I have read articles about hackers at work to get Siri on the iPhone 4 which means it is a possibility that those devices could be Siri compatible in the future.

Personally if its not a big deal to you to have the latest iPhone I think you will do just fine with your iPad 2 and by not getting the iPhone 4s you could potentially save a lot of money on your phone bill.

9. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

...I do and I did. (own an iPad 2 & buy a 4S):)

10. Annerz macrumors regular

I have the iPad2 and an iPhone 4, I don't really think you need the 4s with the iPad, if you want an iPhone maybe just wait for the next one.

11. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Two totally different beasts.

I love using my iPad when in the house, to me nothing compares to it for my needs. I love everything about it, but it's not something I carry around with me.

Now having the 4S as well. I have everything synced between it, so I always have my most up to date data on both. Having the 4S means I have everything I have on my iPad in my pocket wherever I go.

And now it's also my camera and video camera.

Both compliment each other brilliantly.

The thing with Apple products is the more you have, the greater advantage you get with all their services like iCloud etc.

If you have the funds I'd go ahead and get the 4S.

12. Pontsu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all of your comments.

In response to the above, the question is whether you would go with iPhone over other smartphones, which tend to be cheaper, when having an iPad2 already. I am basically looking for features that are uniquely iPhone4S, something that cannot be provided with ani iPad 2 or another smartphone.

13. iarti, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

iarti macrumors newbie

14. rml4uk, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

rml4uk macrumors member

Not trying to make you mad, but for the sake of discussion, I think that's exactly what they're doing. Remember, Siri is in beta right now. My thought is that Apple will keep it iPhone 4S only while it's in beta "so as not to overload servers" and other bs. However, once Siri is out of beta, and coincidentally after the iPhone 4S has had 1-3 months of sales as the only Siri-capable device, I bet Apple will make Siri iPad 2, and possibly iPhone 4 compatible. Just my thoughts. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Forgot to mention; I have an iPhone 4S, an iPad 2 and a MacBook Pro. Each serves different purposes so I use them all.

15. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Well i got an iPhone 4S and an iPad 1. If i could sell the iPad 1 for an iPad 2 i would. Go ahead man. You only live once.

16. ninerfan macrumors regular

Have iPad 2. Upgraded my 3GS to the 4S. Love them both beyond reason. I struggled awhile with the decision but was in line on the 14th for the 4S because it was my birthday :)

17. blow45 macrumors 68000

Yeah get another phone, that's mh opinion too, and one with a low sar, apple is being incredibly callous to still have such high sar when the WTO has declared cell phones as possibly carcinogenic. Of course you lose the sync features but maybe there's some workaround to that. Siri and iCloud are the unique features, the later being more important to me, but I think Siri is hardly indispensable and it's still a beta anyway.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have an iPad2 and an iPod touch. Back when I got the original iPad, I thought I might stop using the touch, but sometimes, you just need a device that fits in your pocket. So I kept using my touch alongside my iPad. I don't have a need for a cell phone, so up til now, I hadn't considered getting an iPhone -- then here comes Siri. Actually, before I saw it in action, I still wasn't convinced it was worth getting the 4S. But my partner decided he wanted one, and when he brought it home and we started playing with Siri, we were both hooked. So now I'm getting a cell phone for the first time in my life. :p The 4s will replace the touch, which will be going to my mom.

Will I still get the 4S even if Siri worked on the iPad? I believe so, because like I said, I've always found I "needed" both an iPad and a pocketable device. Up until now the touch was my pocket device, but from now on, I expect an iPhone will be in my pocket.

19. stev3n macrumors 6502

20. redsoxfan320 macrumors member

Like some previous posters, I own both the iPhone 4S and iPad 2. They both compliment each other, personally I would pick iPhone over iPad if you don't have the financial means to own both, as iPad is more of a toy than necessity.

21. PhilaScott macrumors regular

PhilaScott

I bought my iPad 2 in March and upgraded my iPhone 3GS to the new iPhone 4S last weekend..

22. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I have an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4. I will upgrade to the 4S as soon as I'm eligible. Apples and Oranges. As others have said, they complement one another.

23. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Honestly with a Mac and an iPhone, if you HAD to have just two, would be my choice. I prefer a full Mac and iPhone because an iPHone you can take everywhere.

The iPad is fantastic but slightly more niche IMHO.

To the OP - do you have any iPhone? If so, you might just wait until iPhone 5 next year as it will be a complete redesign. You'd hate to not be able to get THAT one.

24. C N Reilly macrumors regular

This pretty much sums up my opinion. It's just not an either-or decision, despite their software similarities. I have both an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S, and quite often have both of them in my hands at the same time, doing different tasks.

25. RedSunshine macrumors newbie

I came from android and bought the iPad 2 and the iPhone 4s on the same day and I'm in love . They compliment each other and I am using them both all the time. I had the droid bionic and the asus transformer and returned them. I love that I can find an app I like while on my iPad, buy it, and it's on my iPhone.