Having multiple apple devices?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ms.annette, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

I'm just curious. How many of you own a mac, an iPhone , and an iPad?

How do you manage all 3 on one mac? And how do you use each of them? Do you find yourself neglecting your mac and just using the iPad? What is your experience?

I have a early 2011 13'' MBP and iPhone 4. I'm thinking about getting a refurb iPad 2.

Thanks

2. mac jones macrumors 68040

Oh please......like ALL of us :D

It's not a problem with the connections.

The problem is financial ;)

3. RaeRaeE62 macrumors member

i have:
    macbook pro (c. 2010)
    iphone 4
    ipad (when it arrives)

i use the macbook pro for pretty much everything- I'm a college student, so i use it for the obvious studying, homework assignments, hulu watching, etc...

the iPhone 4 i use for texting, apps, email, and safari for when i don't bring my comp to school

i plan to bring the iPad to school, especially on days i don't bring my macbook pro, so i can stay organized, take a tv break, update my calendar with school assignments, etc...

i've seen a few kids in lectures using their iPads to take notes and physically take photos of lecture powerpoint slides and type notes next to the pictures, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work

4. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

i have a lot of macs
    iMac, MBP, MBA, iPad, iPhone, iPod (nano, shuffle).

I use my iPhone when i'm not home, my iPad when i'm home for basic stuff like web browsing or checking something online, and my MBA for everything else like anything for productivity (documents, photos)

My iMac is the family computer so thats there, and i bought the MBP before the new air was available, i rarely use it though, its just there for when i'm going on a long trip and need the massive hard drive

Basically it would be hard to imagine daily activity without the iPad, i use it on a daily basis.

5. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I own all 3, I use them all.
    I do neglect my Mac sometimes.. mainly if its late at night and I'm just reading articles or watching youtube videos. I tend to grab my iPad and just lay in bed or on the couch. :p

6. ms.annette thread starter macrumors regular

ms.annette

Dumb question, right?? lol ;)

7. sekazi macrumors 6502

Never owned a Mac. If I did I would install Windows 7.

I have
    iPod shuffle 2GB (3rd Generation)
    iPod touch 64GB (3rd Generation)
    iPhone 4 16GB

Then soon to be
    iPad 64GB LTE (3rd Generation)

I do also have the following laying around unused
    iPhone 8GB (1st Generation)
    iPhone 3G 16GB
    iPhone 3GS 16GB

8. cpucrash0 macrumors regular

I have an iMAC latest version,Macbook pro latest version,iPhone 4s 64gig & two apple tv's (2nd generation) and soon I will have one new apple tv and the new iPAD 32GIG with AT&T LTE . :) I love apple products.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well.....Imac 27" MBP, MBA, Iphone 4S, ATV2, TC, and until a month ago an ipad2. Just ordered the new iPad third generation and the ATV3.

My iMac does most of the heavy lifting (Video and photo work, recording sessions from the studio etc.)

My MBP 17" travels with me on sessions and is used for photo and musical work.

My MBA 13" is a joy to use and I tend to use it mostly for pleasure as it's limited SSD size (256GB won't cut it in the studio) I write a lot of lyrics on it, and have been using it a lot lately due to ipad2 going to a buddy.

Iphone..err it's a phone! :)

ATV films, TV shows photo display etc.

All Mac's have access to NAS storage and are backed up to the 3TB TC.

Big hole where the iPad used to be but the newbie won't be long. Probably missed a few things, but that's how I use my stuff..!

10. ms.annette thread starter macrumors regular

ms.annette

Thanks for the input everyone!

I feel better about my purchase. ;) My macbook is getting connected to an external display so it will be mostly at home. I only take it to the school library when I plan on doing some major typing on a paper. My iPhone is great as a phone, apps, and quick internet stuff. The iPad I plan on using for fun and leisure, as some of you mentioned too.

iPads are also used a lot at the school I work at(education major). It will come in handy when I finish my credential and get a teaching job.

11. David72797, Mar 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2012

David72797 macrumors newbie

I have multiple devices

my sisters and my ipads, ipod nanos, classics, and touches, and iphones are all backed up by itunes on my hp pc. itunes helps a lot to keep everything in order. you can keep everything nice and organized

12. Ravager814 macrumors newbie

I had an iPhone 3Gs but bolted to Android when Verizon came out with 4G LTE. Although my wife does have an iPhone 4 and does love it. I too have a Macbook Pro and have a 27" monitor and bluetooth keyboard and magic touchpad as the interface. Basically a desktop replacement. At work I have the Mac Mini with dual 22" displays. My main reason for purchasing the iPad is to read scientific papers on it, but you tend to do much more with it, the longer you own it. I'm justifying my purchase wednesday by saying that the papers will be so much clearer with the high def display. :rolleyes:

13. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I have multiple Apple computers, pads, pods, & phones. I've been using and managing multiple computers for quite some time. I have a very robust network setup at home, which is centered on my Mac Pro & Synology NAS backup device.

All my Macs are 2009 or newer & the entire group is running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 which works very well for me. For cloud services all important but non sensitive data is handled via Dropbox, Simplenote, Catch & Google. My *personal data resides only on the server which is not connected to the Web, therefore it's 100% secure & backed up onsite, with copies in an offsite location in case of fire or other catastrophe.

One of the advantages of iOS is that apps are available to allow access to all my clouds & google services. As a result I use them all quite regularly. My career as a computer professional involves a workflow that demands everything except an iPad.

I use the iPad just for variety, at night at home, just to look things up on the web or check email.

That's how everything works for me :)

14. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

My current fleet that I carry with me every day goes like this;

MBP 13" Early 2011
    iPad2 (soon to be new iPad)
    iPhone 4S x2 - one for work, one personal
    ASUS UX21E Zenbook (work laptop)
    Kindle
    Battery packs for mobiles and iPad
    Cables for all aforementioned devices
    Power packs for laptops.

I currently carry all of this in a bag of holding from thinkgeek, it is great!

15. Pinkie Pie macrumors regular

The iPhone is for travel and anything I can stand to do on a small screen (which is a lot). The iPad is for watching videos, reading books, checking the news, etc. The Macbook is for typing, Flash-based stuff and any time I need or feel like having multiple windows open. :D Yeah, the Mac's been neglected since the iPad came into my life, but I guess that extends my computer's life so I'm okay with that. I'm a student, and I stopped bringing my laptop to class and typing notes - instead, I used my iPad to record the lecture and draw diagrams.

If you get an iPad, make sure you set up iTunes right so your apps don't automatically get dumped onto both devices! It's really annoying.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Every gadget I buy has to have multiple uses. I like the fact that I still work on all my Macs including my 12yr old Quicksilver. It took me awhile to decide why I needed an iPad. While I was waiting, there were more Apps available which in the end made the purchase more justifiable. I will be waiting to get the 3rd gen. iPad which will work alongside all the Macs, iPods, and iPhones.

A lot of teachers are using the iPad. Its great to show work on a projector. You can incorporate that into your lesson plans. Kids are more attentive when you mix up your lessons, especially when you show them on different media.

17. ms.annette thread starter macrumors regular

ms.annette

Whoa,I forgot :) I have a kindle also. I prefer to read on that than an iPad because the kindle is much lighter.

----------

Our students get very excited for the iPad! :) I use the teacher's iPad to read the kindergartener's books and then they get to take a reading quiz.

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I have all 3. Each has it's own purposes and uses.

19. drb1992 macrumors 6502

drb1992

I had to buy a 15in" MBP for school. I wanted a smartphone, so I went with the iPhone 4S. Now, I am buying the new iPad. Here is how I see myself using each one. I will use my MBP for school and any other things I can't do on my iPad/iPhone. Ipad will be used to read, web-surf, watch videos/movies, and the occasional game. I will use my iPhone obviously for texting, calling, and whenever im out. I can see myself needing a dock for my iPad and iPhone.

20. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Come next Friday I'll have all 5 product lines...iMac, MBA, iPad, iPhone, iPod. Each has their own use, although I am going to do some experimenting on the MBA/iPad to see if I really need a MBA as my portable device. If the iPad can replace it for what I need it to do, then I'll sell it. I seem to do most of my "computing" on my iMac instead of the MBA nowadays, so we'll see how it goes.

21. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I use my iPhone for all the obvious things:
    calls, texts, apps, music -- and email and Safari when I'm out and about

My iPad is what I use 95% if the time when I'm at home. It only leaves my house if I'm traveling or I know I'm going to be sitting somewhere for a long time, such as the waiting room in the ER. I use it for surfing the web, Facebook, email, iMessage, and only keep a couple of my favorite music playlists on it.

My poor iMac just sits on my desk, untouched, most of the time. I only get on it to run updates or to sync new music and pictures to my iPhone and iPad. I suspect many people are in a similar situation.

22. Spikefan macrumors member

I am an Apple geek, more a case of what don't I have... Mac Pro (saved for ages), MBP (new, old one given to daughter), iPad 1 (sold to finance 2, 2 sold to finance new iPad), iPod classic, nano & shuffle, iPod Touch (seems to lose its self in other daughters room) and most recently converted husband to iMac, he also has iPad 1 although doesn't use it to its full potential. All are used daily in one form or another. When being lazy it is the MBP and iPad curled up on the settee.:D

23. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I've got the iPad 2, new one on the way, iPhone 4S, Mac Mini, an old iBook G4, a Win 7 notebook and the Apple TV 2! LOL

24. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

Blasphemy! ;)

25. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I have a 27" iMac, an early 2011 13" MBP, an iPad 2, an iPhone 4S, a 2nd gen Apple TV, a couple of Kindles, and a Nook. Honestly, I use them all for different things.

And, I have the new iPad on the way. :)