Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloverish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro, I have had a bunch of issues with it over the years, but nothing I couldn’t fix myself.
Lately it’s suddenly getting extra slow and unresponsive, right when I’m in the middle of doing something, watching a video, or just checking my emails.
It will not go back to normal until I do a smc reset. (Simply rebooting will not work). I have to do this multiple times a day. And it’s very annoying. I’m afraid it is my logic board. Any suggestions?

I live in Brazil, so there’s no apple store I can go to.

I have High Sierra installed.
Battery seems fine. But if the power cable is unplugged it will turn off after a minute or two. And then my clock gets all weird. The sleep light is also acting weird.
The hard drive also seems to be working fine.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Sounds like what happened to mine. I thought it was just because High Sierra was so new and my 2011 MBP was so old. The fans would start up at random times when it would get super hot and become very slow and unresponsive.

Unfortunately, last week was when this MBP finally died. GPU failure. Logic board is done.

FORTUNATELY, I followed some steps on this forum on another thread, to hack the computer into using the integrated chip instead of the dead GPU. It works, albeit slowly but sometimes more consistently than when my GPU would overheat.

Good luck.

Cloverish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
Is this a 13"?

It could be a defective sata hard drive cable too.
Yes! It’s a 13”. I changed the sata cable 4 times already, (but always because of the blinking folder with the question mark) and I have a spare. I’ll replace it tomorrow and hope it works!
[doublepost=1556418951][/doublepost]
Sounds like what happened to mine. I thought it was just because High Sierra was so new and my 2011 MBP was so old. The fans would start up at random times when it would get super hot and become very slow and unresponsive.

Unfortunately, last week was when this MBP finally died. GPU failure. Logic board is done.

FORTUNATELY, I followed some steps on this forum on another thread, to hack the computer into using the integrated chip instead of the dead GPU. It works, albeit slowly but sometimes more consistently than when my GPU would overheat.

Good luck.
My fans were also acting up, making very loud crackling noises. I replaced the fans and now it seems fine.
Do you have the link to the thread you mentioned? I’m hoping this computer can survive a little longer. :( thank you! :)

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
Yes! It’s a 13”. I changed the sata cable 4 times already, (but always because of the blinking folder with the question mark) and I have a spare. I’ll replace it tomorrow and hope it works!
[doublepost=1556418951][/doublepost]
My fans were also acting up, making very loud crackling noises. I replaced the fans and now it seems fine.
Do you have the link to the thread you mentioned? I’m hoping this computer can survive a little longer. :( thank you! :)

Sure!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tegrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-35

It’s the post near the bottom that starts with “#### THE GUIDE ####”

Another member said that they’ve been running that hack since last summer. So you’ve still got a chance but keep that link as a backup emergency plan so you don’t lose everything.

I will upgrade eventually but at least it’s usable right now.

pippox0

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2014
Backup your data and make a clean install of High Sierra. It may resolve many of your issues

Cloverish

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 26, 2019
Sure!

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tegrated-gpu-efi-variable-fix.2037591/page-35

It’s the post near the bottom that starts with “#### THE GUIDE ####”

Another member said that they’ve been running that hack since last summer. So you’ve still got a chance but keep that link as a backup emergency plan so you don’t lose everything.

I will upgrade eventually but at least it’s usable right now.

Thank you! I’m saving the link. I replaced the SATA cable a couple of hours ago, and it seemed to do trick, at least for now. But I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.